1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Pollution before anyone has Industrialization

Discussion in 'Civ1 - General Discussions' started by Nod2003, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Nod2003

Nod2003 Chieftain

Hi guys. I have been playing a long time and wanted to see if I could get the population to roll over. While doing that I stopped all techs before industrialization to prevent pollution. Anywho, I am at the year 2379 AD and just got pollution near a city. The French are bottled up in a small city, and they haven’t got it researched either. What is going on?

BTW, it is really hard to get 327,680,000 pop. Im pretty much tapped out here at 260m

2. tuga2112

tuga2112 Chieftain

polution is not realted to tech.
    you get polution by both amount of population in a city and production
    you can create polution long before having indrustialisation if you got a big city witha couple of "special resource hills" with full railroads around it fairly easily.

3. Nod2003

Nod2003 Chieftain

I could have sworn the smoke stack calculation had a coefficient of 0.25 for industrialization, 0.5 for something else up to 1. Maybe I misread somewhere. Was able to stop pollution by converting forests to plains.

4. tuga2112

tuga2112 Chieftain

as far as im aware. the only calculation that is directly related to tech is the trade route, where railroads and flight do affect it (although i never paid attention to it while playing)

polution as far as im aware is based on a few thresholds
    these are wrong numbers but im just trying to explain with examples
    theres one for population. say 25. when the city gets to 26 you get 1 chimney.
    this one is affectec by having a mass transit, where the threshold is affected by 30% (im not sure if the total population used for the calculation is decresed by 30% or if the basic threshold is increade by 30%, note that the effect is very different depending which way the calculation works)
    theres also shield production. where after 30 shields each shield gives a chimney.
    this is affected by factories. since factories increase shield production by 50%
    this wil also affected another 50% by having a power plant.
    but if you use nuclear or hidro plants, i think the extra shields generated by them are "polution exempt" im sure someone with better knowledge will come along and clarify, or point out where the exact calculations are in the forum

5. Tristan_C

Tristan_C Chieftain

It's two sources, pop and shields.

Smokestacks from pop is this:
    Tech * Pop / 4

Where Pop is the number of figures in the city obviously
    Tech = 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 respectively for the following technology benchmarks: pre-industrial, IND, AUTO, MASS, PLASTIC
    So a pre-industrial civ gets no smokestacks from population, and a Plastics civ has real trouble. Mass transit puts it back to 0, I think.

Smokestacks from shields:
    Shields / Buildings - 20

Shields is the exact number of shields/turn
    Buildings = 1, 2, 3 respectively for the following buildings: default, hydro/nuke plant, recycling ctr
    Based on this I believe that a recycling center makes it not matter whether the power plant is dirty or clean.
    Fusion removes the chance of a meltdown btw.

The integer -20 means that there is a negative smokestack buffer before any pollution, pop or shields, will net positive.

6. Posidonius

Posidonius Civherder

As said above, the Recycling Center is your friend against pollution. Irrigate your hills to eliminate mines, don't use mountains or factories, and chop down the forests.

Are you playing the Earth map? It is physically larger but less productive than many random maps, due to vast deserts and snowfields. For large population, try a LWWY map, customized for Large land, Wet climate, Warm temps and Young planet (3 billion years). You'll get plenty of wacky results, but once in a while there's a real gem. 251 million people in current game, projections say it should top 400 million before i grab Alpha Centauri for elbow room.