1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

PolyCast Christmas Special 2007: "Girls Playing Civ"

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by DanQ, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Fjordson

Fjordson Chieftain

Good stuff - as to be expected, I had taken a break from listening for a while but I'm catching back up. In a future episode id like to see you guys rate your favorite leaders 1-54 or whatever number it is.

2. KMadCandy

KMadCandy giggling permanoob

i have it on good authority that i owe part of my invitation to my avatar *gigglefest*. no, really, an official-type person told me so! hello kitty has special powers :). i always knew that, ever since i was a little girl, but now i have proof.

we talked over each other so much! i was the guiltiest party by far. part of the magic is that dan records it, but we each also record our own voices and send that in, so then when he puts it in the technical thingamawhirlyjig he has more control over volume of each person and stuff. at least i guess that's why he does it that way, and i'm sure there are actual words for it. it's all over my head, and it seems to me that way makes it a ton more work for him. all i know for sure it that i'm impressed even more now that i know how it sounded behind the scenes compared to what he magically turned it into.

now that i know a bit about how it all happens, my guess is that for regular shows he has to cut out a lot of smacktalking and nonsense from Imran. ps he doesn't read CFC right? :mischief:

i introduced the show to 3 different people by sending them directly to those bits first. that was just ... there are no words for how much i love how you, ummm, handled those wrong numbers *giggle*.

oh i'd pay money to watch you try to explain that to the folks on the train! and here's the weirdest thing: i know in my head that renaming your capital PeepsVille is not typical behavior, but i've done it for so long now that i've forgotten just how very weird it is. i mean, ruff you've seen my dot-map screenshots in RB reports with it there. it really confuses people sometimes, since we all start with the same map, so they know the original position. folks sometimes wonder if i moved my original settler to the spot where my second city is, because it ends up with the original capital's name. and i have to explain my oddball ways. but to me, sure, it's kind of weird, but it's also the usual way of things.

so this whole experience is like triply giggly. because i giggled so much while we did it before i ever heard the final version, and then listening to the real thing, and seeing reactions to it is like "oh yeah, i didn't really consider how funky that is!" and i get these other perspectives. y'all are totally cracking me up!

3. DanQ

DanQ Chieftain

:D

Thank you kindly. :hatsoff:

:lol::lol:

That I did not know! :goodjob:

:king:

Did these three others share a comparable sentiment? :crazyeye:

:beer:

4. Methos

Methos HoF Quattromaster Super Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

DanQ, maybe you should point where listeners could find the "wrong number bits", as I'm sure everyone would enjoy hearing them! :D

5. ggganz

ggganz a.k.a. The Scyphozoa

Y'know, I think PolyCast is sthe only thing that keeps apolyton alive. Look at how many members we have over you! Why is that? Well, I think it's because this site is more colorful. :p
    That's why I joined this one instead of Apolyton. ;)

6. DanQ

DanQ Chieftain

:nope:

Quality over quantity. :p

No "should" but "could" and will. :)

That would be episodes 09 and 19 respectively.

7. Goldar

Goldar Chieftain

That was a great podcast :goodjob:

Cool to hear some of the stuff discussed as I don't have BtS yet (coming back to the game after a lengthy pause); the privateers sound like they are exactly up my alley :D

Also, I now know how to get a discount for BtS. I'll just borrow some crutches from some elderly people in my appartment building :lol:

8. DanQ

DanQ Chieftain

Glad you enjoyed it. :king:

Had you listened to any of the show's earlier episodes beforehand?

9. Gaius Octavius

Gaius Octavius Chieftain

Anybody notice how many more replies this thread got than the past few? I think you just found a great new way to drum up support for Apolyton! :D

Colonel Hogan: "What do we really need here at Stalag 13?"

[Newkirk and LeBeau raise their hands.]

Colonel Hogan: "And nobody say 'girls'!"

10. DanQ

DanQ Chieftain

I'm still in shock. ;)

11. JaDo

JaDo Chieftain

Roflicious!

12. DanQ

DanQ Chieftain

Well put and understood. :D