1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

PolyCast Episode 110: "Plausible Deniability"

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by DanQ, Jan 29, 2011.

1. DanQ

DanQ Chieftain

No comment. The one-hundred-and-tenth episode of PolyCast, "Plausible Deniability", features regular co-hosts Daniel "DanQ" Quick, "Makahlua", Philip "TheMeInTeam" Bellew and Lisa "qnl" Bang and returning guest co-host David "Hans Lemurson" Skold; it has a runtime of 59m59s.

The summary of topics is as follows:

- 01m55s | Open Mic (Part 1 of 2)
    Answering a letter from a listener regarding naval combat in Civilization V and how it differs from previous Civ titles.
    - 11m19s | Forum Talk
    The "Chick Parabola" and CivV relevancy, and liking or not liking the game's Denouncement diplomatic mechanic.
    - 22m29s | Senate
    On a long standing practice of stealing Worker units in Civ, with a focus on CivV, and the good, the bad and the ugly of Wonders of the World in this latest series iteration.
    - 40m27s | Open Mic (Part 2 of 2)
    Continuing the Wonders discussion from the previous segment with a call-in from Daniel "dacole" Cole, a past guest co-host: beyond Domination Victory efforts, singleplayer versus multiplayer approaches, and a way within to generate wealth for one's civilization.

- Intro/Outro | Miscellaneous
    Basic computer hardware troubleshooting, a late arrival, and sticking to a script.

PolyCast is a bi-weekly audio production in an ongoing effort to give the Civ community an interactive voice on game strategy; sibling show RevCast focuses on Civilization: Revolution and ModCast focuses on Civ modding.

2. DanQ

DanQ Chieftain

1. The primary recording software gave indications that it was functioning during the live broadcast of this episode, but it did not. I am confident I have identified the reason for this lack of recording (though not the interface discrepancy) and will be able to work around it. As such, the secondary recording mechanism -- that made available by our broadcast service uStream -- had to be used instead.

2. Based on listener feedback on the last episode post-produced, as well as that of myself and fellow regular panelists, changes have been made affecting a number of aspects including runtime and stock clip inclusions.

3. blac

blac Chieftain

Awesome!! I always look forward to listening to Polycast! Its one of the best pods I listen too!!!

4. DanQ

DanQ Chieftain

Thank you kindly. :king:

5. joyous_gard

joyous_gard Chieftain

good show.... what about Great Wall, Himeji for turtle MP game?

I don't play MP, but that seems like it would good.

6. DanQ

DanQ Chieftain

:cool:

Comparable towards what I said on this episode, I think it would depend on your map type and who your neighbours were. Also, to the effect of what Phil said in part (if I recall correctly), can certainly be a smart move towards e.g. a Cultural or Science victory.

7. gt9953b

gt9953b Chieftain

What's with all the clicking in the live episodes? Sounds like everyone is working in excel, double-clicking like crazy while on the call.

Great series though, love that the live eps are more relevant since they are released faster.

8. DanQ

DanQ Chieftain

:D, heh. The clicking sound was exacerbated with this episode, in having to rely on the secondary recording mechanism, but even the primary one picks them up to some extent.

I'm looking into further technical changes in how episodes are recorded to at least minimize them more.

:king:

9. Black Lotus

Black Lotus Chieftain

Even though I hardly post on these forums, just wanted to lend my support and say that I love your show ;)

10. DanQ

DanQ Chieftain

:beer:

11. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Nice episode, as usual.

You didn't mention Cristo Redentor as being all that good, though! For cultural victory, it is pretty much essential, and it's quite useful for everything else too; it can help you snatch an extra social policy or two in the endgame.

Can't you turn off the clicking noise of your mouse?

12. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Chieftain

Cristo was mentioned in the chat. Even though some disagreed with me, I think Cristo is essential even when going domination. Chopping a percentage off of the target culture cost just gets better and better the higher the value. Soon that 5000+ culture cost, which you previously thought was too high, gets cut down to something that you may actually see another policy.

clicking noise: it's the headsets. They're too good these days and pick up everything. That, and Dan should invest in an LCD keyboard + mouse combo ;)

13. DanQ

DanQ Chieftain

:)

On this...

... indeed.

14. MasterMishi

MasterMishi Chieftain

Love the show. Keep up the good work.
    The sound quality is not as good since you went live though...some guests are difficult to understand. Hope you can improve this.

15. DanQ

DanQ Chieftain

:cool:; how long have you been a listener out of curiosity?

That is unavoidable, given the differences in format -- and approaches to them respectively -- but we are certainly striving for it to continue to be decent at least.

Which co-hosts in particular? This episode more so than the last or..? These answers would help focus investigation, and feedback, further.

16. MasterMishi

MasterMishi Chieftain

I have been listening since 100, and listened back to ep. 80.
    109: I think one of the female cohosts was difficult for me. It may have been the accent. I didnt recognise her name, or remember her name. I dont have the chance to confirm right now.

17. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Chieftain

It's qnl ;) but we've discussed that before.

Though, 'hans' was worse (quiet) in this episode.

18. Rusty Edge

Rusty Edge Chieftain

We hear our own voices through the bones in our heads, so it sounds different to us when we hear (ourselves the way everyone else hears us) what comes out of our mouths through our ears via electronics.

I'm sure everyone of the regulars will improve by listening to themselves on the show recordings, and practicing a little. Chances are, they are their own worst critics. Just by working on whatever they don't like about the way they present themselves will make a big difference. I know this because I had a sales job and a tape recorder in another life.

19. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

The problems with Lisa (in most episodes) and Hans Lemurson (in this one) seem to be more to do with microphone issues than with diction/enunciation.

20. DanQ

DanQ Chieftain

I resemble that remark.

:mischief: