PolyCast Episode 116: "Not a Paraphrase"

DanQ

Owner, Civilized Communication
Not this time. The one-hundred-and-sixteenth episode of PolyCast, "Not a Paraphrase", features regular co-hosts Daniel "DanQ" Quick, "Makahlua" and Philip "TheMeInTeam" Bellew and Lisa "qnl" Bang; it has a runtime of 59m59s.

The summary of topics is as follows:
- 01m10s | News
Dissecting the list of the latest upcoming patch for Civilization V.
- 14m57s | Open Mic
Responding to not one, but two, emails 'on-air': one from a "Patrick M." requesting tips to guide a new Civilization IV player, and another from "Creatureboy11" about a thread he started on Cottaging vs. Farming flood plains titles in the game.
- 36m17s | Forum Talk
Teaching CivIV to a friend, and one's favourite Downloadable Content (DLC) civilizations for CivV.

- Intro/Outro | Miscellaneous
Some unwanted allusions.

PolyCast is a bi-weekly audio production in an ongoing effort to give the Civ community an interactive voice on game strategy; sibling show RevCast focuses on Civilization: Revolution and ModCast focuses on Civ modding.

Not this time. The one-hundred-and-sixteenth episode of PolyCast, "Not a Paraphrase", features regular co-hosts Daniel "DanQ" Quick, "Makahlua" and Philip "TheMeInTeam" Bellew and Lisa "qnl" Bang; it has a runtime of 59m59s.

The summary of topics is as follows:
- 01m10s | News
Dissecting the list of the latest upcoming patch for Civilization V.
- 14m57s | Open Mic
Responding to not one, but two, emails 'on-air': one from a "Patrick M." requesting tips to guide a new Civilization IV player, and another from "Creatureboy11" about a thread he started on Cottaging vs. Farming flood plains titles in the game.
- 36m17s | Forum Talk
Teaching CivIV to a friend, and one's favourite Downloadable Content (DLC) civilizations for CivV.

Some unwanted allusions.

Instances that you hate in CivV, and using words one wouldn't expect on the show.

PolyCast is a bi-weekly audio production in an ongoing effort to give the Civ community an interactive voice on game strategy; sibling show RevCast focuses on Civilization: Revolution and ModCast focuses on Civ modding.

I've been listening to these for a good 6 months now and just thought I'd post and say that you guys do a terrific job. Also, nice work with the audio - i graduated from Vancouver Film School a few back with a post-production degree and it's nice hearing quality audio on these podcasts, (except for Lisa's last time). :)

I've been listening to these for a good 6 months now and just thought I'd post and say that you guys do a terrific job.
Much obliged for this feedback :cool:; hope you've been finding some of our older episodes of interest to you as well.

Also, nice work with the audio - i graduated from Vancouver Film School a few back with a post-production degree and it's nice hearing quality audio on these podcasts, (except for Lisa's last time). :)
Particularly given your audio training, expertise and no doubt experience to go with it, thank you most kindly. :king:

Just listened to this, great ep, lots of good disscussion and lol moments', Very entertaining, keep up the great work!

Good episode. It gave lots of motivation not to end up on qnl's bad side. That made me laugh... laugh with you! with you, of course! ;)

That Cottage vs Farm poll is missing the Workshop option. WS+Chem+Guilds+Leeve+Caste system = 5 H with 2 food. I used to always farm but now I do tend to do Cottages and depending on situations I will use farms and WS.

I will be adding Orally to my list I told you about as well Dan. I should email you the list soon, though that will be a hard top ten to post huh?

I like seeing TMIT express some fanboy for his favorite Civ, nice to see he can be like the rest of us.

I disagree that Fin is overrated, course it would be nice when someone uses that term if they can quantify it more. Is it a crap Trait, a trait that is average? etc.

Good episode.
:)

It gave lots of motivation not to end up on qnl's bad side. That made me laugh... laugh with you! with you, of course! ;)
:D

Just listened to this, great ep, lots of good disscussion and lol moments', Very entertaining, keep up the great work!
Thank you kindly. :cool:

That Cottage vs Farm poll is missing the Workshop option. WS+Chem+Guilds+Leeve+Caste system = 5 H with 2 food. I used to always farm but now I do tend to do Cottages and depending on situations I will use farms and WS.
We noted in the episode how it was missing that improvement option. I believe the focus is on initial improvement selection, generally speaking (sans a sufficient Advanced Start that would bring other improvement options into play from the outset).

I will be adding Orally to my list I told you about as well Dan. I should email you the list soon, though that will be a hard top ten to post huh?
*cough*

I, myself, will not be publishing any such list.

Well, anyone who doesn't find the next clip amusing is safe.
Oh my...

Hi there , I am new to this forum and really impressed with this show , sound quality,and simply an improved one , I like it so much .Thanks for the post.

Hi Bret.

If you are into CIV 4 you should also check out ModCast. The podcasts for ModCast dates back a little while, and is not continued as far as I know. But ModCast is in my oppinion better produced and more informative than PolyCast.

http://civcomm.weplayciv.com/polycast/modcast/

Good show
Thanks. :)

Hi there , I am new to this forum and really impressed with this show , sound quality,and simply an improved one , I like it so much .Thanks for the post.
You're welcome as well, and thanks for the note. :king:

Hi Bret.

If you are into CIV 4 you should also check out ModCast. The podcasts for ModCast dates back a little while, and is not continued as far as I know.
The intent is for ModCast to continue, but particulars are still in flux.

But ModCast is in my oppinion better produced and more informative than PolyCast.

http://civcomm.weplayciv.com/polycast/modcast/
I'm curious as to why you feel ModCast is both better produced and informative than PolyCast. Certainly it's more informative on Civ modding. :D

Two points:
1) Lisa's audio is MUCH better in this episode. So much so, it actually makes want to listen when she's talking. Before I couldn't really hear the mumbling.

Lisa, keep it up, I was especially surprised when she started talking up about the thread about teaching.

2) I'd like to make a point for having MadDjinn on as a regular host. He's well-spoken - smart and most importantly to me, he balances out phil and actually plays and comments on Civ V more than Phil as far as I can see.

I used to love Phil's commentary on this podcast and his "let's plays" on youtube, but he seems to have let his hate for the Civ V UI get in the way of the progress of the franchise and the purpose for the show - helping people out at civ - whatever the latest iteration might be. MadDjinn puts together well thought-out let's plays often and seems to be able to hold his own against Phil's sometimes overwhelming dialog on the show.

In short, keep up the good work Dan; it keeps getting better!

Two points:
1) Lisa's audio is MUCH better in this episode. So much so, it actually makes want to listen when she's talking. Before I couldn't really hear the mumbling.
I doubt you'll get a disagreement from anyone that the quality of Lisa's audio was markedly improved on this episode. :)

2) I'd like to make a point for having MadDjinn on as a regular host.
Recommendation noted. Scheduling dependent, I'm certain that MadDjinn will return as a guest co-host again this current season. If and when there is a vacancy on the regular panel, it is past guests who are considered to fill it.

In short, keep up the good work Dan; it keeps getting better!
:king:; thank you kindly.

Top Bottom