PolyCast Episode 118: "Everything Comes From Somewhere"

DanQ

Owner, Civilized Communication
As truthful as it can be. The one-hundred-and-eighteenth episode of PolyCast, "Everything Comes From Somewhere", features regular co-hosts Daniel "DanQ" Quick, "Makahlua", Philip "TheMeInTeam" Bellew and Lisa "qnl" Bang with first-time guest co-host Jonah Falcon; it has a runtime of 59m59s.

The summary of topics is as follows:

- 01m39s | News
First preview and fact sheet for CivWorld surfaces which leads to much discussion.
- 20m00s | Senate
Returning to top Unique Units for Civilization V to consider the Renaissance, Industrial and Modern Eras -- again sans those found in paid-for Downloadable Content (DLC) -- with reference to ranking them across all eras.
- 34m20s | Open Mic
Responding to not one, but two, listener emails: first, on a missing element towards informed diplomacy in CivV, and second how to increase difficulty within a difficulty level in it or immediate predecessor Civilization IV, last discussed pre-Beyond the Sword expansion.

- Intro/Outro | Miscellaneous
Caffeine vs. microphone, Hotseat support coming to CivV, and good days vs. bad days.

PolyCast is a bi-weekly audio production in an ongoing effort to give the Civ community an interactive voice on game strategy; sibling show RevCast focuses on Civilization: Revolution and ModCast focuses on Civ modding.

DanQ, how long is the delay between the website upload of an episode and the itunes podcast upload?

DanQ, how long is the delay between the website upload of an episode and the itunes podcast upload?
Hi again SYC.

Unfortunately, as near as I have been able to ascertain iTunes only updates once every 24 hours. Not only do I not know when that is, or even if it's more or less the same time of a given day, but I also have no way to 'force' an update. (Historically this is not true... I was able to do so until last fall). Subscribing to the show's RSS feed is something that I can and do control, and I update it within the half-hour of a new episode being posted to the show's website.

uh oh, looks like I should actually finish episode 117 now...
:D -- hello again.

You could swap back and forth between the two, or any combination of episodes for that matter. Your placement, your decision... except when it comes to episodes that haven't been recorded yet. Those can't be added for whatever reason. ;)

Hope you're still enjoying the show.

just got around to listening to the list...

Dan: :spank: You missed again...

Russian Cossack replaces a unit that gets -50% vs. other mounted units! It doesn't matter what the bonuses are, a stupid Knight can beat it up. Never mind that annoying pikeman that's still hanging around.

The Janissary is the top Renaissance unit. Upgrades are extremely important and full heal on kill = win.

Russian Cossack replaces a unit that gets -50% vs. other mounted units! It doesn't matter what the bonuses are, a stupid Knight can beat it up.

not a knight with any prior damage. with +50% and -50% it somehow manages to end up stronger than a knight. anyway, yeah, janissary is most powerful unit in game.

It sounds like you would reverse the ordering of the Janissary and the Cossack on the list, MD -- a minor difference overall. We'll agree to disagree. :p

Hope you enjoyed the show, and to you as well vexing.

It would depend on the opponents for the position of the Cossack. Not to mention that I'd still like to see the -50% vs. mounted done away with in general.

If opponent is Siam, Germans, Spain, Persia, Songhai, Ottomans, etc = Never build Cossacks.
All else: building artillery anyways ;)

I think you rated the Siphai too high... the SoTL is better than lipstick on a pig ;) But not much, since it's lipstick on a goat. :crazyeye:

The Renaissance units aren't all that special, except for the Janissary and the Minutemen. Those two have decent promotions that upgrade but have poor base unit locations.

Musketmen rank pretty low for me since nothing upgrades. (Marathon setting excluded)

Top Bottom