1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

PolyCast Episode 125: "The Ripple Effect"

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by DanQ, Jul 30, 2011.

1. DanQ

DanQ Owner, Civilized Communication

Making waves. The one-hundred-and-twenty-fifth episode of PolyCast, "The Ripple Effect", features regular co-hosts Daniel "DanQ" Quick, "Makahlua" and Philip "TheMeInTeam" Bellew with returning guest co-host Kelly "KMadCandy" and first-time guest co-host Paul "vexing" Grimes; it has a runtime of 59m59s.

The summary of topics is as follows:

- 01m50s | Forum Talk
    Responding to a statement made by the President of 2K Studios in an interview that strategy games are "not contemporary"; preferring a number of aspects of Civilization IV or V; rolling back to an earlier version of CivV following a patch release, and research efforts teach a computer to play FreeCiv yields considerably encouraging results.
    - 40m04s | Research Lab
    Fleshing out a concept to have technologies spread gradually throughout a civilization once discovered.
    - 53m36s | Miscellaneous
    Whether playing a civilization with a "butt ugly" colour is bothersome or not.

- Intro/Outro | Miscellaneous
    Civilization: World launched into public beta testing, and words of wisdom.

PolyCast is a bi-weekly audio production in an ongoing effort to give the Civ community an interactive voice on game strategy; sibling show RevCast focuses on Civilization: Revolution, ModCast on Civ modding and TurnCast on Civ multiplay.

2. apocalypse105

apocalypse105 Deity

I do olso want a ability to say no i dont want it to patch...

Or just let it instal manually without steam so you just uninstall the game and reinstall it to get the original version

3. DanQ

Yes, either/or would get to the desired result, but "opt-in" as opposed to "opt-out" when it comes to new patches is more desirable as it would require less effort on the part of the end user.

4. apocalypse105

apocalypse105 Deity

Oh thanxs to mention how you can put the updates out go extra and then update automaticly or not :goodjob:

5. TW_Honorius

TW_Honorius Warlord

can you tell us what the next polycase topics are, I might ask to join ya.

6. Bezurn

Bezurn Prince

TheMeInTeam: ".. and that is ___ there are __ _____ situations where ce____ ___ders are better... "

I think something is wrong with his voice capturing program (Skype?) that he is using on Linux.

Thanks for the episodes and keep up the good work guys.

7. DanQ

First off, apologies for this delayed reply... I must have missed a notification of further responses here.

As I now better understand it, this is an inquiry to direct to Steam and not 2K/Firaxis, as they set and 'push' the functioning of this mechanism.

:D

Topics are set ~48-72 hours prior to recording, and are not disclosed publicly until the actual recording. (In previous seasons, as we pre-recorded the show, these lists were by that very nature later in becoming public knowledge.)

With our live recording of episodes, you can follow along on our channel including text-based chat. There are opportunities to call into the show during the recording, so in addition -- or even instead of -- contributing in the chat, you could have your voice alongside ours. Though this opportunity has had limited "takers" so far, I'm still excited about this capability.

Yes re: difficulty, and yes re: Skype. IIRC, this was one the first -- if not the first -- episodes he recorded using his Linux setup, and there were kinks still being worked out. If my memory serves me further still, it was resolved as of the next recording. Still, it can be fickle especially given there hasn't been an update to the program for the OS in some time. (Using Windows or even Mac OS X: version 5.x; Linux: 2.x.)

:); thank you for listening and your feedback.