1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

PolyCast Episode 202: "Nerding Out"

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by DanQ, Jun 14, 2014.

1. DanQ

DanQ Chieftain

More than usual. The two-hundred-and-second episode of PolyCast, "Nerding Out", features regular co-hosts Daniel "DanQ" Quick, "Makahlua", Philip "TheMeInTeam" Bellew and "MadDjinn" with first-time guest co-host Joe "reddishrecue" Mobly. Carrying a runtime of 59m59s, the summary of topics is as follows:

- 01m14s | News
    The first handful of hands-on previews of Civilization: Beyond Earth surface, followed by a detailed three-part review of the first closed beta of Civilization: Online.
    - 36m26s | Miscellaneous
    Taking a close look and careful reflection on the video "Errant Signal: Civilization" with a brief tie-in to the semi-related earlier production "Errant Signal: Keep Your Politics Out of My Video Games".
    - 51m21s | Assorted
    The Civilization tie-in that is "The Game" episode of Stargate: Atlantis and a condensed feature of "Just One More Game" by BriSy (55m45s).

- Intro/Outro | Miscellaneous
    Junk finder and raise negotiation.

Recording live before a listening audience every other Saturday, PolyCast is a bi-weekly audio production in an ongoing effort to give the Civ community an interactive voice on game strategy; listeners are encouraged to follow the show on Twitter, and check out the YouTube channel for caption capability. Sibling show RevCast focuses on Civilization: Revolution, ModCast on Civ modding, SCivCast on Civ social gaming and TurnCast on Civ multiplay.

2. Krajzen

Krajzen Warlord

Ok guys, here are the news I discovered in those previews.

First of them is nothing new :D Honestly, it is pretty poor 'preview'.

Second:
    - You can distract Siege Worms via 'beacons'
    - ...nothing more :D In this case reviewer basically constantly repeast that he had not enough time :D

Third
    - Military Satellites provide boosts of Great Generals.
    - Satellites expire and crash down on the surface depositing wreckage that can be excavated by Explorers for tech or resource bonuses (cool :0)
    - Stations are independent businesses that take up a single tile that establish themselves throughout the map over the early stages of the game. For those stations closest to your first cities, you’ll often have a chance to choose which type of station they will be.
    - In this way Stations function as something “halfway between city-states and shared tile improvements,” according to designers.
    - End-game technologies can be reached via several different possible paths
    - As you make your way through the game you’ll begin “leveling up” in different Affinities based on your decisions — and it’s entirely possible to have levels in more than one. While dedicating yourself to a single Affinity at the expense of the other two will likely be a good way to advance in particular areas — civilization-wide unit upgrades require certain levels of Affinity, for example — it is also very possible that spreading your focus between different paths could be a viable tactic as well, particularly if you’re heading for a Domination or Contact victory, the two win conditions that are available to players regardless of Affinity.
    - You unlock Virtues through the advancement of your overall culture, and they provide bonuses in one of four areas: Might, Knowledge, Prosperity, and Industry. The Virtues system also features “kickers,” which are additional bonuses that are awarded for progressing deep into a particular virtue or spreading your culture wide across the different virtue trees.
    - When combined with the Affinities, Virtues provide strategic flexibility.
    -In the hands-off part of the demonstration I also spotted a city called “Le Crouer” sporting a faction symbol in blue and white that looked a lot like a stylized fleur-de-lis, which could indicate the presence of a French-inspired civilization in the game.
    - Each discovered technology comes complete with a special quote voiced by one of the game’s leaders and drawn from each leader’s personal book of philosophy
    - In an interesting wrinkle, aggressive civilizations in Beyond Earth are often aggressive both against other players AND the alien life, attacking nests and prompting aliens to start attacking anyone who is nearby — which can mean big trouble if that nest is near your cities.
    - Pete also identified the American Reclamation Corporation and the African Union as particularly troublesome neighbors, as the former is extremely commerce-focused and will grab up as many resources as possible and the latter is a lot like Civ 5′s Shoshone, expanding early and then fiercely defending their territory.

Fourth
    - In between exploring and meeting new civilizations, I had to make decisions about what station charters to support. Do I go for the Banu Musa science think tank? Or the Shackleton geological mapping enterprise? I would have to decide between Scyon group labs or to support the McDonough biomechanical research. At one point, I had to make a (very topical) choice on health care for the clinic workers I had just invested in.

Also, Civilization Online looks awesome :0 I didn't know anything about it before :0

(...if character's faces were not so ugly... :p )

3. Aeson

Aeson orangesoda Retired Moderator

4. CleverFool

CleverFool Chieftain

Is it wrong that I'm extremely excited about the leaders voicing quotes for each Tech?

5. Lord Shadow

Lord Shadow General

Those are all old previews.

As for Civilization Online, it looks right out of an April Fool's joke. Wha... :dubious:

6. DanQ

DanQ Chieftain

Thanks for your summary!

I concur(red).

Any comment(s) on the fifth one?

Heh.

Indeed that could change in future.

Looking forward to more details about that as well.

I'm not excited, extremely or otherwise, about that myself but I think it's fitting.

Older, but not old, but still relevant though. At the time they were published, we were recording the show's 200th episode special and we talked to Firaxians directly about Beyond Earth instead. :D

I was skeptical of both Civilization: Revolution and Civilization World before it, and my view changed and did not change respectively. Time will tell where my ultimate view will fall on CO but presently I am more skeptical of it than ever of CivRev and about the same as CW (for different reasons).

7. Krajzen

Krajzen Warlord

I have the same feelings :D

8. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

I think a lot of the discussion of the Errant Signal video was missing the point a little (unless I missed the point of the discussion). It didn't seem to me that he was saying the game should be a more 'realistic' or less sanitised, but was rather taking a more constructivist/discursive approach whereby there's no objective history to be 'realistic' about. So when he says that he now views the game not as the actual patterns of history, but as a specific lens through which history is viewed, I don't think he's saying that there is an 'actual pattern' of history that the game should be attempting to represent instead, but that history is always interpreted, and the game tells us just as much about the lens as it does about what the lens is purporting to look at.

If he's making a recommendation for how this insight should be taken into account in the development of the game, it would simply be that the developers should be mindful of what they're saying about history and people when they're designing game mechanics.

9. 3of5

3of5 Recycling Vats Technician

There's a whole lotta comments under the linked video that argue the point (i do agree with your analysis). Thanks for pointing it out, i'll be following errant signal in the future, since cultural artifacts and influence are an interesting topic.

10. DanQ

DanQ Chieftain

I do believe we touched on this interpretation though in not so many words.

If this is a/the recommendation of his, to that then I say I don't believe this isn't happening already with Civ. How what is being said and done is interpreted, and whether that interpretation is positive, negative or a bit of both is another matter and subject to the views of any number of people.