PolyCast Episode 204: "Rusty Veterans"

DanQ

Owner, Civilized Communication
Don't stand too close when you say it. The two-hundred-and-fourth episode of PolyCast, "Rusty Veterans", features regular co-hosts Daniel "DanQ" Quick, "Makahlua", Philip "TheMeInTeam" Bellew and "MadDjinn" with first-time guest co-host Bruno "brunopradosantos" Prado. Carrying a runtime of 59m59s, the summary of topics is as follows:

- 01m09s | Senate
Concluding the detailed looks at the new Civilization V civilizations introduced in the Brave New World expansion pack with the Zulu.
- 19m23s | News (Part 1 of 2)
From the floor of of the 2014 Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3), many hands-on previews of Civilization: Beyond Earth, the much anticipated Alpha Centauri spiritual sequel.
- 31m51s | Forum Talk
Why so many Civ series veterans cherish AC and back in CivV, is the Salt Luxury Resource overpowered as is in the game (38m50s).
- 49m26s | News (Part 2 of 2)
Taking Civilization IV publisher 2K Games to task over the removal, albeit with prompt reversal, of Direct IP and Pitboss multiplayer capabilities for Steam-based versions of the game.
- 55m34s | Miscellaneous
Observing the re-release of Rise of Nations as an Extended Edition and its connection to not one, but two, points covered earlier in the show.

- Intro/Outro | Miscellaneous
Odd start and stop to a new pattern.

Recording live before a listening audience every other Saturday, PolyCast is a bi-weekly audio production in an ongoing effort to give the Civ community an interactive voice on game strategy; listeners are encouraged to follow the show on Twitter, and check out the YouTube channel for caption capability. Sibling show RevCast focuses on Civilization: Revolution, ModCast on Civ modding, SCivCast on Civ social gaming and TurnCast on Civ multiplay.

On the frequency ratio of salt compared to other resources in the starting area; that difference can be reduced by selecting legendary resources on the advanced setting instead of standard or strategic balance.
(Except for resources like Cotton that are very restricted in terrain types.)

On the frequency ratio of salt compared to other resources in the starting area; that difference can be reduced by selecting legendary resources on the advanced setting instead of standard or strategic balance.
(Except for resources like Cotton that are very restricted in terrain types.)
The fact that selecting Legendary Start would reduce the frequency ratio of Salt to other resources in a starting location sounds contrary to me :D whereas choosing Strategic Balance makes sense in the context. That said, to me either option is a 'skew' that is at best an interim circumvention of much albeit not all of Salt's disproportionate strength... besides being a preset variation that introduces skews of its own.

The fact that selecting Legendary Start would reduce the frequency ratio of Salt to other resources in a starting location sounds contrary to me :D whereas choosing Strategic Balance makes sense in the context. That said, to me either option is a 'skew' that is at best an interim circumvention of much albeit not all of Salt's disproportionate strength... besides being a preset variation that introduces skews of its own.

It has to do with even on standard there's a lot of Salt and Legendary is supposed to bump up the primary luxury of everyone to max. (But sometimes this fails due to terrain restrictions, most notably for Cotton.)

Strategic Balance shouldn't have a significant difference on luxury placement compared to standard.

Shameless self-promotion time: I have a mod that slightly nerfs salt by moving its +1 food to require a Granary (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=145306648).

I don't think Salt in general is OP. I only think it's OP when it appears in clusters near a player's capital start location. I usually see Salt in areas that are weak in food (like deserts), and so it's an excellent balancing factor for how crappy deserts are.

Shameless self-promotion time...
:D

I don't think Salt in general is OP. I only think it's OP when it appears in clusters near a player's capital start location. I usually see Salt in areas that are weak in food...
Emphasis above added (with the location including, indeed, at as well as near as the capital location).

Top Bottom