1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

PolyCast Episode 212: "The Welcoming Committee"

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by DanQ, Oct 18, 2014.

1. DanQ

DanQ Chieftain

Enjoy your stay. The two-hundred-and-twelfth episode of PolyCast, "The Welcoming Committee", features regular co-hosts Daniel "DanQ" Quick, "Makahlua", Philip "TheMeInTeam" Bellew and "MadDjinn" with first-time guest co-host Stuart "GoStu". Carrying a runtime of 59m59s, the summary of topics is as follows:

- 02m17s | News
    It's an all-out Civilization: Beyond Earth news bonanza: revelation of no strategic view, Australian taxes heavy on the game's pricing on Steam (06m32s) and BE's system requirements revealed.
    Then, Rev3Games interviews the game's co-Lead Designers while they play it (19m19s), developer Firaxis Games' "Let's Play" livestream gets underway (34m34s), Sid Meier is interviewed at the inaugural Firaxicon event (39m41s) and a report from one of those event's participants (46m11s).

- Intro/Outro | Miscellaneous
    Misleading article title and the game developer facial hair theory.

Recording live before a listening audience every other Saturday, PolyCast is a bi-weekly audio production in an ongoing effort to give the Civ community an interactive voice on game strategy; listeners are encouraged to follow the show on Twitter, and check out the YouTube channel for caption capability. Sibling show RevCast focuses on Civilization: Revolution, ModCast on Civ modding, SCivCast on Civ social gaming and TurnCast on Civ multiplay.

2. DarkestOnion

DarkestOnion Chieftain

I like the explanation about not including Strategic View in Civ:BE, so I won't get up in arms about it.

3. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

4. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Chieftain

I was late and now he's punishing me :( :eek:

5. m15a

m15a Chieftain

But you confirmed that Firaxis 2015 is happening*. That exclusive story surely makes up for being late.

In other breaking Polycast news, Firaxis hates beards**.

* joke
    ** also a joke?

6. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Well, Ahmad al-Mansur, Ashurbanipal, Casimir, Darius, Haile Selassie, Harald Bluetooth, Harun al-Rashid, Nebuchadnezzar, Pedro, and Sejong (among others) would disagree that Firaxis hates beards.

7. m15a

m15a Chieftain

True. Beard envy I guess? :D

8. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

I'm hoping that in late game that ending the turn in orbital layer (and so being on that layer while the AI makes it moves) will have the same speed up that in Civ V late game being in Strategic View does.

In addition, for late game hopefully the city view is enterable on the orbital view layer (without it flipping the backdrop to the regular view which also gets slow and lagging slightly later) and that ground units are also movable via it.

(It's the late game lag that I'm wanting to avoid)

The additional cities that BE is encouraging (+ the additional trade route units) may slow down late game in it more than replacing city states with stations (and removal of city state units) speeds it up.

It would be best though if pulling up the equivalent of the cultural policy & tech screens wouldn't be slowed down just being in the main view compared to switching views prior to doing it.

9. DanQ

DanQ Chieftain

D'oh -- I missed updating that part of the copy from Episode 211: corrected.

:lol:

10. GoStu

GoStu Chieftain

Glad I could join as a guest host! Had a great time sitting around & chatting about gaming on a Saturday morning. To do that normally, I have to talk to myself.

11. DanQ

DanQ Chieftain

We were glad that you were able to join us.

:D

12. Magma_Dragoon

Magma_Dragoon Reploid

https://ebgames.com.au/any/any?q=Sid Meier’s Civilization®: Beyond Earth™

Irrefutable evidence of game retailers forcing price match for Steam purchases, EB's Oz site has the game for $90. Why is it $90? Because Gamestop (owner of EB) has effective regional monopolies and they can charge whatever they want. As MD said, they demand the same price for digital purchase as they charge for a hard copy, or else they'll drop all of 2K's titles. While this would not be a problem for PC, especially a Steam only title, it would devastate their console game sales.

The best thing to do as a consumer is to stop shopping at Gamestop. The lower their sales, the lower their market share, the less leverage they will have to force this sort of 4-letter word-fest. This behavior could easily be considered illegal per se under US antitrust law.

13. B. Stroszek

B. Stroszek Chieftain

That's the Australia tax for ya. I stopped buying there years ago, back when a new game could easily go for $110... thankfully the vast majority of titles on Steam are more in line with the States. Still, it makes me feel for the console folks who don't really have any alternatives (other than switching to PC ofc :p) and either supporting daylight robbery or going through the hassle of importing. Though our cost of living is insane compared to most of the world anyway so par for the course really.

And there goes my CivFanatics virginity. [party]

14. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Chieftain

if someone in Australia/NZ can go here and tell me what the price says in AuD, that'd be a nice help. (also for Euro and pound would be nice).

I'm just wondering if my gameshop is following those rules now or not. AFAIK, my game shop has the price set in USD and then just currency converts.

http://gameshop.maddjinn.ca/browse/gg33767-Sid-Meiers-Civilization-Beyond-Earth/

15. B. Stroszek

B. Stroszek Chieftain

It just says $49.99 for me, that said I don't have an account on that site so either it doesn't automatically detect location like most digital distributors do, it doesn't have regional pricing or they only mark the price up when you include payment details, I would hope they would be less blatant than that though. :D

Edit: In fact, the FAQ states

"Can I pay by other currencies such as Australian Dollars?
    Yes, your credit card company will automatically make conversions based on the current exchange rate.

How do you calculate foreign exchange rates?
    All foreign exchange rates are established and managed by the payment providers and their service providers. Please refer to their terms of service."

So no regional pricing i take it.

16. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Chieftain

ok, good to know.

I know the place has started working with publishers directly, so I was wondering if there was some non-currency converted pricing starting to happen.

If not, good, I can keep the store open.