PolyCast Episode 231: "Simple Juxtaposition"

DanQ

Owner, Civilized Communication
Rather elementary. The two-hundred-and-thirty-first episode of PolyCast, "Simple Juxtaposition", features regular co-hosts Daniel "DanQ" Quick, "Makahlua" and Philip "TheMeInTeam" Bellew with returning guest co-hosts Morgan "KingMorgan" and Steve "WarningU2" Warner. It carries a runtime of 59m59s.

The summary of topics is as follows:

- 01m00s | Open Mic
Summarizing conversations that began in response to, and extended from, Episode 230 and adding to them further.
- 17m27s | News
Taking in new information from a number of sources on the Civilization Beyond Earth expansion Rising Tide from understanding, to analysis and speculation followed by Civilization Online about to enter its final closed beta stage (37m53s).
- 40m05s | Forum Talk
In follow-up to what was first discussed in part on Episode 221, the specifics of the CivBE unlockables through Sid Meier's Starships and how they impact -- and can even influence -- gameplay.

- Intro/Outro | Miscellaneous
First targets and hearing between the lines.

Recording live before a listening audience every other Saturday, PolyCast is a bi-weekly audio production in an ongoing effort to give the Civ community an interactive voice on game strategy; listeners are encouraged to follow the show on Twitter, and check out the YouTube channel for caption capability. Sibling show RevCast focuses on Civilization: Revolution, ModCast on Civ modding, SCivCast on Civ social gaming and TurnCast on Civ multiplay.

Great Episode.

I think the "Negativity vs. Realism"-thing is a hard thing to balance and the word "Fluff" is probably what will make or break the AddOn. Like you guys said - what we've seen so far looks cool, but it doesn't change anything about the fundamental issues of the base game in many of the areas that aren't changed directly. Up until now it looks a lot like building something beautiful while only fixing a tiny part of the rotten foundation - and while big interviews about balance and pacing-changes would probably not sell very well, I think it's concerning that they didn't at least throw out some information here and there to show that they know people are worried about that and are working to change these things.

But oh well, end of the month we get our live stream with actual gameplay footage, that's probably the point when we get to know whether the problems have been tackled or not. :D

And yay, I'm getting famous now! Name's pronounced Ree-Ka though - but that's forgivable, after all, its draeneiic origin may not be known to everyone and I'm a mere peasant, so I should be proud that my name even got mispronounced. :D

Anyway, I think Tectonic Scanner vs Electromagnetic Sensor mostly comes down to game options. Combine it with Balanced Start (= Titanium for everyone) and a free Worker and you get a free Titanium Mine (= 5 Hammers + Base Tile Yield) guaranteed very early on. I don't think Electromagnetic Sensor can compete with that - at least not against the AI.

With other game options the decision will of course be a lot closer. Though I personally would still prefer Tectonic Scanner, because of its more consistent outcome.

The only fundamental issue that might get better, at least from what we know for sure, is the new diplomacy system.

While we don't know much concrete, it would be hard to go anywhere but up diplomacy wise.

Great Episode.
:king:

Hope you enjoyed the episode as well, Galgus.

... end of the month we get our live stream with actual gameplay footage, that's probably the point when we get to know whether the problems have been tackled or not. :D
Time will indeed tell what will be revealed.

And yay, I'm getting famous now! Name's pronounced Ree-Ka though - but that's forgivable, after all, its draeneiic origin may not be known to everyone and I'm a mere peasant, so I should be proud that my name even got mispronounced. :D
You can join the club Maki belongs to with people mispronouncing her username. :D

I'm glad you found my feedback to be constructive. That's always important.

I'm also glad you pointed out that the reason we're here, or listen to the podcasts or post on the forums is because we care. Even people who dog the game(s) care or they wouldn't bother. Polycast is something unique and special and I wouldn't want my comments to be construed in any other way except that I appreciate it and want to add to the conversation.

There seemed to be some confusion, either on my part or the part of the panel about the loadout that allows you to see all expedition sites. What I heard was the guest host mixing this option with the new artifact system in BERT. It didn't seem to be a speculative discussion about the (upcoming) functionality in BERT, but confusion about how things work now.

I'm wondering why (at least it seemed) no one on the panel has played with these unlocks. It only took me a couple of quick games in starships to unlock everything (just get one game in really good shape to take multiple victories). And as reported even if you didn't care to purchase, it is a quick file edit... The unlockable options are among the best. The expedition site visibility and the half time to build colonists and explorers in particular.

There was something for everyone in that episode. Good mix of topics. Thanks again everyone for your effort.

Did I see Phil blush through the internet?

I'm wondering why (at least it seemed) no one on the panel has played with these unlocks. It only took me a couple of quick games in starships to unlock everything (just get one game in really good shape to take multiple victories). And as reported even if you didn't care to purchase, it is a quick file edit... The unlockable options are among the best. The expedition site visibility and the half time to build colonists and explorers in particular.

I was away ;)

Don't forget to get your free cookie from the Polycast team!
I still have my coupon here from an earlier episode, ready to hand it in at the right time.

In regards to the topic Starships unlocks for BE:
I must admit I was quite annoyed when I heard about that. Mostly because it was EXACTLY what I predicted when I saw that Ace Patrol Ad in CIV5: First they'll test the waters with that one, then they'll actually go down the Blizzard way and intertwine their games and lock new content behind different products. And no real shocker that at least some of the starship options are so powerful. Remember Babylon for CIV5?
...but, oh well, at least I don't have to buy "Mountain Bull" and "Toritos" to get "extra points" - right? :rolleyes:

Anyway: Another good episode. Let's hope that the addon brings you (and us) more positive things to talk about.

I was away ;)
Yeah, that was kinda sad. I am pretty sure you would have had some very interesting (in a positive way) opinions on the topics.
:'(

Maybe you want to give a short statement here? Or in the next Polycast episode? *puppy eyes*

I'm glad you found my feedback to be constructive. That's always important.
:)

I'm also glad you pointed out that the reason we're here, or listen to the podcasts or post on the forums is because we care. Even people who dog the game(s) care or they wouldn't bother. Polycast is something unique and special and I wouldn't want my comments to be construed in any other way except that I appreciate it and want to add to the conversation.
Well said, well received.

For myself, the unlocks in question were not enough to bring my interest back to play BE again... now with the upcoming expansion pack, the stage is being set for that to change.

There was something for everyone in that episode. Good mix of topics. Thanks again everyone for your effort.
:king:

Well, I think you thought you saw Phil blush...

:D

Don't forget to get your free cookie from the Polycast team!
I still have my coupon here from an earlier episode, ready to hand it in at the right time.
I knew we should have put an expiry on it, or at least best before date. ;)

Another good episode. Let's hope that the addon brings you (and us) more positive things to talk about.
Cheers!

You can join the club Maki belongs to with people mispronouncing her username.

With a quote like "stole all the cookies" right under the username? Are you trying to start a fight Dan?

Impossible. Everyone knows that name is just a front to hide the fact that I'm a living virus surviving in the mists of the internet, playing the games. Trufax.

Good Episode.

Great Episode.

I think the "Negativity vs. Realism"-thing is a hard thing to balance and the word "Fluff" is probably what will make or break the AddOn. Like you guys said - what we've seen so far looks cool, but it doesn't change anything about the fundamental issues of the base game in many of the areas that aren't changed directly. Up until now it looks a lot like building something beautiful while only fixing a tiny part of the rotten foundation - and while big interviews about balance and pacing-changes would probably not sell very well, I think it's concerning that they didn't at least throw out some information here and there to show that they know people are worried about that and are working to change these things.

Well that is what Patches are supposed to be for... preparing the way for new features and use time to your advantage so that players playtest the stuff for you. First it helps keep interest up, then it shows dedication and finally it helps tweak your expansion because you're gaining experience on what works and doesn't.

But that ship has sailed I fear.

Now you have the complex task of improving both the core game and adding features to justify an expansion. Balancing and tweaking something while adding stuff on it at the same time is a daunting task !

With a quote like "stole all the cookies" right under the username? Are you trying to start a fight Dan?
:hmm:

Impossible. Everyone knows that name is just a front to hide the fact that I'm a living virus surviving in the mists of the internet, playing the games. Trufax.
Now, now, why are you suddenly hiding from the truth: as previously discussed on the show, you are the front for Civ player Phyllis.

:viking:

Good Episode.

:hmm:

Now, now, why are you suddenly hiding from the truth: as previously discussed on the show, you are the front for Civ player Phyllis.

:viking:

Yes, it's been long-known I'm a front for Phyllis, but we never established exactly what kind. Besides, Phyllis is shy so I don't bring it up usually.

Top Bottom