1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

PolyCast Episode 235: "All Sorts of Consternation"

Discussion in 'News Updates' started by DanQ, Aug 15, 2015.

1. DanQ

DanQ Chieftain

Being prepared. The two-hundred-and-thirty-fifth episode of PolyCast, "All Sorts of Consternation", features regular co-hosts Daniel "DanQ" Quick, "Makahlua", Philip "TheMeInTeam" Bellew and "MadDjinn" with first-time guest co-host Markus "GAGA Extrem" Grebe. It carries a runtime of 59m59s.

The summary of topics is as follows:

- 02m00s | Open Mic
    Details matter as comes about through comments from Episode 234.
    - 08m34s | News
    The good, the bad and the ugly about Civilization publisher 2K Games noting compatibility of recent titles for Windows 10 and with the announcement of Firaxicon 2015, let the comparing and contrasting begin (13m10s).
    - 22m17s | Forum Talk
    Staggered investigation of diplomacy in Civilization Beyond Earth: Rising Tide from shifting Strategic Resource trading to trade routes, applying a War Score Mechanic to open conflicts (36m21s) to just where is it in general (48m56s).

- Intro/Outro | Miscellaneous
    Livestream blockedstream and harmonic fallout.

Recording live before a listening audience every other Saturday, PolyCast is a bi-weekly audio production in an ongoing effort to give the Civ community an interactive voice on game strategy; listeners are encouraged to follow the show on Twitter, and check out the YouTube channel for caption capability. Sibling show RevCast focuses on Civilization: Revolution, ModCast on Civ modding, SCivCast on Civ social gaming and TurnCast on Civ multiplay.

2. stormtrooper412

stormtrooper412 Peacemongering Turtlesaur

Makkie explained that whole negativity bit really well and it kind of makes me happy to realize that it's the same way I interpret the show, or at least Episode 234, though it's generally Mad that's the most vocal regarding what stuff would and would not work when translated from an "idea" to "actual game feature".

In other words, when you say that something is a good idea but it wouldn't work because it would be exploited (I'd rather not open that whole can of worms again, i.e. what is an exploit and what isn't) as such and such, that's not negativity, that's just stating the obvious, we're gamers, we pretty much always do this sort of thing regardless of how thorough the testing process was. And I'm sure all of you know how incredibly difficult is to fix balance issues and prevent players from using one or few proven "play-2-win" strategies.

But that's not to say every idea is inherently bad, you made several really good insights concerning CivBERT but look at me talking about previous episode rather than the current one :lol:

I definitely support the idea of Mad doing a live stream from Firaxicon as a Polycast episode. Make that happen :)

3. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Chieftain

I may Periscope some of it, depending on the Wifi availability/quality there.

4. DanQ

DanQ Chieftain

I certainly hope it's more than just Episode 234, but I catch your meaning. :D

Quoting myself in part from this episode, we gamers will go so far as to 'criticize the criticism' even.

It's quite understandable that you're thinking of and speaking to Episode 234: the first topic of this episode, the one immediately after, engages with feedback from it. :)

Don't forget to take the jar of donated Internet cookies from Maki, Phil and myself. ;)

5. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Chieftain

I'll need them for the plane rides. Serious lack of food on planes these days.

6. GAGA Extrem

GAGA Extrem Chieftain

I'll toss in my cookie coupon as well. For great justice coverage!

7. DanQ

DanQ Chieftain

You must have missed part of the fine print of the note that came with the cookie... it's non-transferable.

:mischief:

8. Utico

Utico Chieftain

<3 Maddjinn he really steals the show. I would actually enjoy it if you guys were always this critical when talking about the game.