PolyCast Episode 243: "Does Miasma Taste Like Mint?"

DanQ

Owner, Civilized Communication
An organic breath mint. The two-hundred-and-forty-second episode of PolyCast, "Does Miasma Taste Like Mint?", features regular co-hosts Daniel "DanQ" Quick, "Makahlua", Philip "TheMeInTeam" Bellew and "MadDjinn" with first-time guest co-host Rubin "Rubin". It carries a runtime of 59m59s.

The summary of topics is as follows:

- 00m58s | News
The short interval between announcement and official release of the Massively Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game (MMORPG) Civilization Online and what series publisher 2K Games' survey targetting Civ players is and is not (04m54s).
- 14m52s | Senate
The current take of the Fear and Respect mechanic introduced to Civilization: Beyond Earth by its Rising Tide expansion and takeaways from an account of how to win the game on Apollo, its highest difficulty level (18m33s).
- 29m19s | Research Lab
A thorough consideration of new units for CivBERT, and then a comparable treatment for affinity-based buildings in the game (38m40s).
- 48m31s | Open Mic
Acknowledging feedback from the show's most previous episode, number 242.

- Intro/Outro | Miscellaneous
Season's greetings brings about announcements for your stocking.

Recording live before a listening audience every other Saturday, PolyCast is a bi-weekly audio production in an ongoing effort to give the Civ community an interactive voice on game strategy; listeners are encouraged to follow the show on Twitter, and check out the YouTube channel for caption capability. Sibling show ModCast on Civ modding and TurnCast on Civ multiplay.

Miasma does taste like mint!
Sweet... or, perhaps, better put, refreshing.

:mischief:

:D

In fact some Harmony colonies are experimenting with Miasma Chocolate Chip Ice Cream. Be careful or it will melt... Your insides!
"Now with twice the action: it will melt your heart figuratively, and literally, in just one bite!"

Hope you unlocked the Organ Printer then.
Oh crap, that's Supremacy technology.

And not to respond to the actual part that I’d like to respond to.

I’d like to say thanks for taking a look at that thread of mine. I’ve put hours and hours of thought into it and I’m still not remotely close to done. I’m honestly a bit shocked that nobody has really put forth many suggestions before, beyond cursory things like adding more ships or aircraft, that is. I didn’t really see anybody talking about Unique Units, so I ran with it.

The affinities are such nice themes. They play off of very strong sci-fi tropes. I just want them (and BE as whole) to take advantage of as much of the ground work that they’re laid out upon.

I was a bit taken aback by the comment about the affinity military styles “not being possible”. All I really did was find the pattern (which I think is pretty obvious) in the uniques and put “names to the faces” so to speak. Balance was the last thing on my mind. I was solely trying to strengthen the affinity themes.

As far as Air units go… I’m totally stumped. I have name suggestions for hybrid Tacjet upgrades, but not perk ideas. And beyond that I have no idea if adding Bombers and Interceptors, a la Civ V, would improve the situation.

I haven’t a clue how to mod this (or mod in general). From a technical standpoint, I don’t know if these idea are even possible. But once I finish the writing for the Naval units I would like to start attempting (the most operative of words) make this dream a reality.

If nothing else, I seem to have struck a chord. People are responding to the idea. Which indicates to me that there is desire to see unit changes.

Top Bottom