PolyCast Episode 259: "Rock, Paper, Scissors"

DanQ

Owner, Civilized Communication
Knowing what you know and don't know. The two-hundred-and-fifty-ninth episode of PolyCast, "Rock, Paper, Scissors", features regular co-hosts Stephanie "Makahlua", Philip "TheMeInTeam" Bellew and "MadDjinn" with returning guest co-hosts Jon "CanuckSoldier" Ryder and Jonah Falcon. It carries a runtime of 59m59s.

The summary of topics is as follows:

- 02m14s | News
Three Civilization VI civs have been revealed or otherwise confirmed: England, Egypt (07m31s) and Japan (15m02s); then, all about the Builder unit (23m00s).
- 29m39s | Open Mic
Not one but two sources of feedback for Episode 258 are raised, replied to and expounded upon.
- 40m14s | Forum Talk
Too early in some respects and others not: laying a preliminary strategic framework for CivVI.
- 52m21s | Miscellaneous
Trying to come to grips with Science Victories in Civilization V leads to a group creating a video to humourously do just that.

- Intro/Outro | Miscellaneous
Would you rather more civilizations or more leaders, and is it exploit or imbalance.

PolyCast is a bi-weekly audio production recording live every other Saturday throughout the year, in an ongoing effort to give the Civilization community an interactive voice; sibling show ModCast focuses on Civ modding, TurnCast on Civ multiplay.

Really enjoyed the episode but it felt like something was missing. I can't put my finger on it. What was it? I know there was something. :)

I don't believe BE is beyond repair. I do believe BE's reputation is.
Half stepping when making games will do that to you.

Many are scarred from the various offerings with no love that have been released in the last many years. Xcom, Civ V, BE. It appears even Xcom2 has that distinction as well. A game that should have received all the love they had to offer. It's also quite a stretch to say they are good about patching...

These are games I love and it is so disappointing to love something and not have it love you back.

I did see some love in BE, but if they want to make great games, they have to put the resources behind them. I haven't seen that since Civ IV. I'm not one to bad-mouth devs, but if there is one thing we humans excel at it's pattern recognition.

I don't believe BE is beyond repair. I do believe BE's reputation is.
Half stepping when making games will do that to you.

Many are scarred from the various offerings with no love that have been released in the last many years. Xcom, Civ V, BE. It appears even Xcom2 has that distinction as well. A game that should have received all the love they had to offer. It's also quite a stretch to say they are good about patching...

These are games I love and it is so disappointing to love something and not have it love you back.

I did see some love in BE, but if they want to make great games, they have to put the resources behind them. I haven't seen that since Civ IV. I'm not one to bad-mouth devs, but if there is one thing we humans excel at it's pattern recognition.

CivV had a pretty solid patching plan, with regular changes before G&K came out. There were some DLC that went with that, but the difference between the release state and the last patch before G&K was pretty big.

BE definitely did not do that. That set of dev only did the more cosmetic changes (xml/lua based stuff that anyone could do) before BERT.

Xcom/... original had major map issues that were never fixed, but otherwise wasn't too bad on release. Xcom 2 had major graphics/rendering/etc engine problems that are 'mostly' fixed. Personally, my biggest problem with Xcom 2 is the lack of replay options. Xcom handled that by the different start areas getting different bonuses and being able to choose which one you had. Also, there was some minor differences in how you started each game which led to different mid games. Xcom 2 doesn't do either of those.

so, to sum up... mainline Civ gets taken care of, even if it's not great at launch, but the other ones not so much.

Top Bottom