PolyCast Episode 264: "Congratulations, Condolences and All the Rest"

DanQ

Owner, Civilized Communication
Fully inclusive. The two-hundred-and-sixty-fourth episode of PolyCast, "Congratulations, Condolences and All the Rest", features regular co-hosts Daniel "DanQ" Quick, Stephanie "Makahlua", Philip "TheMeInTeam" Bellew and "MadDjinn" with returning guest co-hosts "Bibor" and "Eag". It carries a runtime of 59m59s.

The summary of topics is as follows:

- 02m15s | News
In the continuing lead-up to the anticipated release of Civilization VI are "first looks" for Spain and then India (11m26s); relatedly, the "Anniversary Edition" is announced with a proclaimed set volume availability (19m04s) and elsewise Civilization: Revolution finds itself now available for on the PC and taken off the Apple App Store (23m22s).
- 32m17s | Miscellaneous
A by-product of the Indian civilization announcement for CivVI is on the apparent return of War Weariness to the series in said title.
- 38m04s | Forum Talk
The panel takes on the concern raised in response to Episode 263 that instantaneous improvement completion by Civilization VI Builders removes strategic choice offered by Workers, and Settlers before that, earlier in the series.

- Intro/Outro | Miscellaneous
Interval patience, optional clothing and milestone times three.

PolyCast is a bi-weekly audio production recording live every other Saturday throughout the year, in an ongoing effort to give the Civilization community an interactive voice; sibling show ModCast focuses on Civ modding, TurnCast on Civ multiplay.

In the continuing lead-up to the anticipated release of Civilization IV are

TYPO--I presume "VI". :)

No, Dan is only just getting Civ 4. He's actually only been playing Civ 3 for the past few years. :rolleyes:
I had inverted the "V" and "I" initially.

Oh, CivIII... the last I had that installed and played was more than a decade ago now. How time flies!

I'm listening to the episode right now, and I have to know one thing: Mad, why on earth did you have Civ Rev on both the PlayStation & Xbox? :confused:

I'm listening to the episode right now, and I have to know one thing: Mad, why on earth did you have Civ Rev on both the PlayStation & Xbox? :confused:

double up the player base. :goodjob:

Originally I had it for the PS4, but the PSN and matchmaking on the PS4 sucked hard. Basically the further up the ladder you went, the longer you waited for a match.. upwards of 10-15 minutes.. due to the matchmaking system forcing you to match with people close to your rank.

So most ppl from the forum on the PS4 side ended up in a group chat on the PS4 and did games that way, rather than ranked.

So I grabbed an X360 version and the networking side worked much better.

double up the player base. :goodjob:
:lol:

I played CivRev as well, but almost exclusively -- and only substantively -- on the Nintendo DS.

The mobile app was not the same as civrev on the consoles. Not even close.
I wasn't talking about the mobile app, I was talking about the DS. :p

I also never said that the DS version was like the Xbox or PS version -- but it was, and is, an iteration of CivRev.

I have CivRev Lite on my iPhone. I played it once and it was painful. If I had never played any version of Civ before, it might have been tolerable. But if I run out of room on my phone and I need to start deleting apps, it'll certainly be the first to go.

Maybe this was recorded before my final point about instant improvements

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=573715

I believe building up a city SHOULD take time. I don't believe you should be able to trick out a city in 3 turns or easily change coarse with a city's strategy. I don't believe the player being required to juggle many things in mind while playing is a bad thing.

As an offset, I do see course changing being very costly in VI. Tiles are easy to plop down, so the player is more likely to act before the picture is clear enough to make the best decision. This will mean more tile replacements than ever before.

The one true positive I can see with the new system is that you won't have workers everywhere at the endgame with nothing to do. But that doesn't make up for the negatives.

Top Bottom