1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

PolyCast Episode 270: "A Step in the Direction"

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by DanQ, Dec 3, 2016.

1. DanQ

DanQ Chieftain

Same path, to same destination, still unclear. The two-hundred-and-seventieth episode of PolyCast, "That's Our Number", features regular co-hosts Daniel "DanQ" Quick, Stephanie "Makahlua", Philip "TheMeInTeam" Bellew and "MadDjinn" with returning guest co-hosts Jon "CanuckSoldier" Ryder and Daniel "zaldar" Cole. It carries a runtime of 59m59s.

The summary of topics is as follows:

- 04m06s | News (Part 1 of 3)
    Much to be said about the first Civilization VI patch that soon takes the form of a numbered list.
    - 17m59s | Miscellaneous (Part 1 of 2)
    The first side conversation to the release of said CivVI patch is one that sparks some considerable debate: preferring Settler to city capture.
    - 29m58s | News (Part 2 of 3)
    Returning to counting down the most significant changes of note brought about by Civilization VI's first patch.
    - 34m17s | Miscellaneous (Part 2 of 2)
    The second CivVI patch side conversation brings some reflective consideration to bare: earning gold upon unit deletion.
    - 42m39s | News (Part 3 of 3)
    The final dibs and drabs on the changes to Civilization VI courtesy its first patch is followed by a Deluxe Edition discount too good to be true while contemplating possible legal implications (49m36s).

- Intro/Outro | Miscellaneous
    Method of payment, packing them in, renewal roulette and the case of the blas.

PolyCast is a bi-weekly audio production recording live every other Saturday throughout the year, in an ongoing effort to give the Civilization community an interactive voice; sibling show ModCast focuses on Civ modding, TurnCast on Civ multiplay.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  2. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

Small suggestion: You should link the Forum Thread in the News Post.
    I had to manually type three words into the search function to find it - terrible!

Anyway... nice episode, some great discussions going on - actually was a lot of fun hearing you guys disagree as much as you did.
    I don't really understand MJs ( :D ) comment about "the whiners have won" when it comes to religious units though. He's correct that even a large carpet of religious units can be overcome relatively easy, however, the main benefit of the change seems to be that less spam is required by all players. I was fed up with Religious Victory after trying it once. Having to spawn and control less units, having to use them more strategically instead of just mass-producing units sounds a lot more fun to me.

Of course I haven't played Civ VI since the patch, so I'm not sure if that really made the religious gameplay go into that direction.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  3. bcaiko

bcaiko Chieftain

I enjoyed the thorough discussion about the patch. The patch likely made a ton of folks on these forums extremely happy. (Now if only they'd fix the late game crashing problem that's cropped up for me and several other forum users.) It was also good to hear some lively debate between MadDjinn and Phil, who are both thoughtful and knowledgeable players. MadDjinn needs folks to stand up to him now and again. :king::thumbsup:

Also, I've got to admit I'm surprised how often folks have trouble with the intro and outro. Dan's never given me an explanation on how to do the intro when I've been on the show - I just picked up what to do from listening consistently.

4. DanQ

DanQ Chieftain

Heh. I haven't been doing this to date for two reasons: one, there is a comment system attached to the news items -- separate from the forums admittedly -- and two my understanding that these separate commenting systems are temporary. Now that such linking has been requested, however, I will reconsider.

:cool:, thank you kindly.

Similarly I feel the debating was even more spiritied than is typical because it was more than one person on each side of respective positions, actively participating in the conversation, which led to an extended conversation of back-and-forths. (There were also six panelists as compared to the 'traditional' five.)

:)

It is usually I who is challenging Mad on points of content, but on this episode we found ourselves on the same side. (This even came up during the episode itself!)

:D