1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

PolyCast Episode 272: "Choices Mattering More"

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by DanQ, Jan 14, 2017.

1. DanQ

DanQ Chieftain

Clearly. The two-hundred-and-seventy-second episode and eleventh season premiere of PolyCast, "Choices Mattering More", features regular co-hosts Daniel "DanQ" Quick, Stephanie "Makahlua", Philip "TheMeInTeam" Bellew and "MadDjinn". It carries a runtime of 59m59s.

The summary of topics is as follows:

- 01m23s | News
    Attending to the "Winter 2016 Update" for Civilization VI leads to analysis, opinion and recommendations that are not always congruent with each other; then, the Poland civilization and Viking scenario Downloadable Content (DLC) leads to a similar split.
    - 31m36s | Open Mic
    Looping in feedback from the show's 2016 Christmas Special, its most previous episode (39m42s) and the first part look at the 2016 Listener Feedback Survey results (47m57s).

- Intro/Outro | Miscellaneous
    Fanfare timing and computational query.

PolyCast is a bi-weekly audio production recording live every other Saturday throughout the year, in an ongoing effort to give the Civilization community an interactive voice; sibling show ModCast focuses on Civ modding, TurnCast on Civ multiplay.

Uberfrog likes this.
  2. legalizefreedom

legalizefreedom Inefficiency Expert

In regards to my comments on episode 271, I didn't intend for my observation to be taken as extreme. Of course there is some mix of artist and business in every game dev. I thought that went without saying. Makahlua did seem to get the intent...

The example of Polycast is relevant. Imagine how different the show would be if its primary goal was making money...

When you are passionate about something you create a better product whether you are being paid or not.

If you create a great game the money will come, but that requires significantly more up-front commitment and comes with greater risk. There are companies that make great games AND do very well for themselves, but very few make that kind of commitment to their art.

Whereas if you play it safe and guarantee yourself a good monetary outcome, you are far less likely to deliver a great game. Add to that someone besides the development team determining when the game is ready to ship, and you have the state of game development today.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017