PolyCast Episode 279: "Feel That Impetus"

DanQ

Owner, Civilized Communication
Heating up. The two-hundred-and-seventy-ninth episode of PolyCast, "Feel That Impetus", features regular co-hosts Daniel "DanQ" Quick, Stephanie "Makahlua", Philip "TheMeInTeam" Bellew and "MadDjinn" with first-time guest co-host Ayla "kalleina" Radies. It carries a runtime of 59m59s.

The summary of topics is as follows:

- 01m12s | Senate
In Civilization VI, prioritizing what building to construct, when and in respect to city order followed by taking what unit promotions and when (22m46s).
- 31m35s | Open Mic
Responding to a CivVI unit upkeep question asked during the livestream of Episode 276 and on show criticism, complementing and what to make of the game's Harbour district in response to Episode 278 (35m33s).
- 49m24s | Miscellaneous
The success of the Civilization franchise in 2016 on gaming platform Steam (recorded for Episode 272), invading/not invading peculiarity in CivV (51m18s; recorded for Episode 262), CivVI Builder adventures (53m04s; recorded for Episode 273) and game notification oddities (54m14s).

- Intro/Outro | Miscellaneous
Breaking the cycle and enjoyment measure.

PolyCast is a bi-weekly audio production recording live every other Saturday throughout the year, in an ongoing effort to give the Civilization community an interactive voice; sibling show ModCast focuses on Civ modding, TurnCast on Civ multiplay.

This is an exceptional episode! Great content and good variety! This is exactly what I like to hear. Real discussion about the strategic choices.

With broad discussions like these, I would prefer if more time was given to get even further into the details and possible strategies, likely over multiple episodes.

All the personalities were in great form and I liked the vibe and knowledge the guest host brought. Keep this up!

I put Civ6 away for a while, frustrated with the lack of balance and all the UI and flavor mistakes. When you folks announced the most recent patch (yeah, I tend to get my Civ6 news from the podcast), I picked the game back up. A lot of good fixes there, even if the UI and flavor fail game design decisions are something that a patch can't really fix.

I appreciated y'all's insights on the districts and their buildings. It did confirm some of my suspicions and gave me food for thought. Although I do have to say as a Japan player, Hojo's discount on Theatre districts does make them more desirable than I think they are on average.

This is an exceptional episode! Great content and good variety! This is exactly what I like to hear. Real discussion about the strategic choices.

With broad discussions like these, I would prefer if more time was given to get even further into the details and possible strategies, likely over multiple episodes.

All the personalities were in great form and I liked the vibe and knowledge the guest host brought. Keep this up!

Yeah, it can be hard to have coherent discussion on topics like 'all buildings in civvi' in a single episode. ;). I'm sure we may take another shot at more later on.

Especially as you skipped over a few. I missed the live recording, so had to settle listening to the edited version. I usually try to catch the live version as there is so much more content (which I do understand the need to edit it down). Still unhappy about the cancelled live version a few casts ago.
Always enjoy tuning in. Keep up the excellent work.

Just to clarify my comment about the "ocean tiles" from the prior thread ... like MadDjinn says, I was not discriminating between shallow water and ocean tiles. What I meant was, if you build a coastal city, you'll often have a lot of ocean and shallow water tiles that will generally just do nothing.

Just to clarify my comment about the "ocean tiles" from the prior thread ... like MadDjinn says, I was not discriminating between shallow water and ocean tiles. What I meant was, if you build a coastal city, you'll often have a lot of ocean and shallow water tiles that will generally just do nothing.

It is unfortunate, especially because this further de-emphasizes the importance and threat of naval presence in the game. It's hard to pressure off-coast cities with navies.

Privateers can pillage coastal improvements and districts. Depending on significance it can be damaging to the city or whole civilisation.

I would also agree the Harbor could benefit from a building choice, whether it ends up being another district or not.

A naval yard could give 1 production per water tile and/or a boost to ship building. Mutually exclusive with the lighthouse or wherever the food bonus ends up after the shuffle.

Yeah, the latest buff was nowhere near enough to make coastal tiles useful. Naval warfare is bad in this game - especially compared to Civ5 (where it was awfully beneficial to have coastal cities). What a poor representation of real world history. Maybe the next expansion will focus on exploring the oceans and improving the godawful UI.

I don't understand what's so bad about naval warfare right now. Even on pangea I'm able to harass an enemy from behind by crossing the other way and chances are pretty good they or a city-state ally has at least one coastal city to use as a foothold, works great with Spanish armadas.

The rule of two (two fishing boats, two galleys, two harbours, and two caravels) gets you up to exploration pretty fast.

This is an exceptional episode! Great content and good variety! This is exactly what I like to hear. Real discussion about the strategic choices. [..] All the personalities were in great form and I liked the vibe and knowledge the guest host brought. Keep this up!
I appreciated y'all's insights on the districts and their buildings. It did confirm some of my suspicions and gave me food for thought.
Always enjoy tuning in. Keep up the excellent work.
Thank you kindly. :)

Appreciate the clarification.

I missed the live recording, so had to settle listening to the edited version. I usually try to catch the live version as there is so much more content (which I do understand the need to edit it down). Still unhappy about the cancelled live version a few casts ago.
We too were unhappy about being unable to livestream Episode 277 last month. It was a technical issue that has not only been addressed, but should also not resurface.

It is requests like this that stand to increase the likelihood that we would return to such a topic, and the timeline in which we do so. In choosing topics to discuss on the show, my typical -- as historical -- approach is they come from Civ player conversations in online communities such as here on Civilization Fanatics Center. However when those topics are not apparent, I start to look at generalizing what strategic elements of Civ game 'X' can be discussed and how.

Gonna miss today's livestream again.
Between what's in the published version of Episode 280 and what's archived for later use (if anything), the substantial portion of what was recorded will be waiting for your consumption still.

Job interview with the CRA
Good luck with it.

can you fix my taxes for me? :D
If he gets the job, maayybbee.

:D

Just marathoned like 5 episodes, if anything I'd say you guys don't gripe enough.This game isn't fun past turn 100 without mods. Production doesn't scale with costs, borders take forever to grow, units are sluggish, the game feels like a no fun slog. And then there's that narration and the load times... It is only by the grace of the modders that we have a good game to play.

Top Bottom