PolyCast Episode 297: "Not Just a Lame Clip Show XXII"

DanQ

Owner, Civilized Communication
Ringing in the year that is. The two-hundred-and-ninety-seventh episode of Civilization strategy podcast PolyCast, "Not Just a Lame Clip Show XXII", features regular co-hosts Daniel "DanQ" Quick, "Makahlua", Philip "TheMeInTeam" Bellew and former regular co-host "MadDjinn" with nine guest co-hosts in the twenty-second compilation of segments archived from previous episode recordings and not released previously. With a 59m59s runtime, the summary of topics is as follows:

- 00m37s | Miscellaneous (Part 1 of 2)
Civilization VI joins Endless Legend and Europa Universalis IV in their respective designers discussing "creating illusion" in the strategy computer gaming genre (recorded for Episode 283).
- 17m20s | Research Lab
Finding a place for CivIV's cottage system in VI (recorded for Episode 288) is followed by the idea for Border Expansion Points (25m42s; recorded for Episode 289).
- 32m14s | Miscellaneous (Part 2 of 2)
How the Civilization series tops a list for games schools should let students play (recorded for Episode 290) makes way for an argument as to what CivVI could "learn from" the Call to Power series (38m24s; recorded for Episode 292) and on the history of the Civ series in general, speaking to the developer of each iteration (49m23s; recorded for Episode 295).

PolyCast is a bi-weekly audio production recording live every other Saturday throughout the year, in an ongoing effort to give the Civilization community an interactive voice; sibling show ModCast focuses on Civ modding, TurnCast on Civ multiplay. Episode 298 of PolyCast, the show's first recorded outing in 2018, is to be published on January 21st.

Trying to get through the backlog of PolyCast, and had a quick comment on this episode.
RE: Civ as an educational game: I was actually introduced to Civ by my high school AP World History teacher. During an early lecture about the development of agriculture and cities, he posed the question "What do you look for when you make a city?" and he answered his own question with the example of Civ. Basically, you want a source of fresh water, lots of farmable land, and ideally some natural resources to build an economy around. And if it's next to the coast, and you can ship goods in and out by boat, then even better.

I did not own Civ, nor had I ever even heard of it at that time, but this game sounded interesting. So later in the week, I visited a class-mate's house and played his copy of Civ III. Been hooked ever since.

Top Bottom