PolyCast Episode 298: "Get Learned"

DanQ

Owner, Civilized Communication
Schooled. The two-hundred-and-ninety-eighth episode of PolyCast, "Get Learned", features regular co-hosts Daniel "DanQ" Quick and Stephanie "Makahlua" with returning guests "CanusAlbinus" and "NewEarthRelic". It carries a runtime of 59m59s.

The summary of topics is as follows:

- 03m03s | News
The first expansion pack for Civilization VI, Rise and Fall, was announced in late 2017; since then, most of its civilizations have been previewed publicly and is the source of focus here: returning Korea, The Netherlands, Mongolia, new leadered India, and newcomers Cree and Georgia; then, controversy emerges first given the choice of Korean leader (account of her reign) and representation of the Cree (40m38s).
- 50m24s | Open Mic
Taking in feedback received for the show's 2017 Christmas Special from within the Civ community.

- Intro/Outro | Miscellaneous
Failure to coordinate, a [em]Civ[/em] port seemingly done right and taking aback to the front.

PolyCast is a bi-weekly audio production recording live every other Saturday throughout the year, in an ongoing effort to give the Civilization community an interactive voice; sibling show ModCast focuses on Civ modding, TurnCast on Civ multiplay.

Last edited:
You're back! Looking forward to hearing the panel's opinions on the Rise & Fall reveals so far when I get the chance to listen.

I think most of those Koreans upset with Seondeok being the leader bought into sexist propaganda written against her by Confucian historians....Let's be honest, East Asian cultures are strongly patriarchal, especially with regards to political leadership. Wu Zetian was similarly reviled by Chinese historians in the past.

Her English wiki page didn't make her sound as bad a ruler as those complaints implied.

Putting Sejong as the leader again, would have been boring in my opinion. How would they make him look different from Civ5's portrayal (which basically got his appearance correct)? Unless they wanted another male Korean leader....

Last edited:
The power of the Netherlands frigate can’t be overstated enough. Compared to the Frigate’s innate bombarding ability of 55 strength, the unique Frigate here is 67. This is only 3 strength less than a Battleship’s 70 ranged strength, essentially making the unit a Modern Era unit in the Renaissance. I don’t play competitive multiplayer, but if I did, I’d be very worried about this unit.

Something that was missing in the Indian discussion that I think is significant is that, as far as I can tell, the +5 combat bonus and +1 movement only happens if he declares Territorial Expansion on its enemy. If India is declared on first, then that bonus doesn’t happen. So if I happen to border Chandgragupta, I am certainly going to make sure I declare war on him before he declares war on me.

The power of the Netherlands frigate can’t be overstated enough. Compared to the Frigate’s innate bombarding ability of 55 strength, the unique Frigate here is 67. This is only 3 strength less than a Battleship’s 70 ranged strength, essentially making the unit a Modern Era unit in the Renaissance. I don’t play competitive multiplayer, but if I did, I’d be very worried about this unit.

Something that was missing in the Indian discussion that I think is significant is that, as far as I can tell, the +5 combat bonus and +1 movement only happens if he declares Territorial Expansion on its enemy. If India is declared on first, then that bonus doesn’t happen. So if I happen to border Chandgragupta, I am certainly going to make sure I declare war on him before he declares war on me.

But now you took a city! Time for an "emergency" :p.

But now you took a city! Time for an "emergency" :p.

Technically I could just DoW and defend (not take cities) without having to deal with uber Varu. Uber Varu could create a specific type of "emergency" in my pants instead.

I'd want to avoid talking much about "controversial" civs/leaders, but I think part of it is just something that's going to happen when you get a new civ or leader. You're going to get complaints that "this leader didn't represent this civ" or "this civ doesn't belong in this game."

I can't imagine the ridicule Firaxis would be getting if Gandhi was being named as the leader of the Indian civ after never having been so previously. Especially as a nukemonger. But alas, we apparently can't have a Civ game without Gandhi and his nukes, so here we are in this situation where people would complain if Gandhi WASN'T in the game.

I'd want to avoid talking much about "controversial" civs/leaders, but I think part of it is just something that's going to happen when you get a new civ or leader. You're going to get complaints that "this leader didn't represent this civ" or "this civ doesn't belong in this game."

I can't imagine the ridicule Firaxis would be getting if Gandhi was being named as the leader of the Indian civ after never having been so previously. Especially as a nukemonger. But alas, we apparently can't have a Civ game without Gandhi and his nukes, so here we are in this situation where people would complain if Gandhi WASN'T in the game.

Certainly, players who don't like some of the representations based on historical accuracy/strength of choice but even accept Gandhi are not being rational.

This is the first main civ iteration where they're really digging into the list of historical nations that didn't last as long/expand as far. Since a nation's historical strength/success is apparently not a significant barrier to inclusion any longer, all bets are off...though it's still awkward to see nations led by people who never actually ruled them or if we get another "Sitting Bull of the Native American Empire" type outcome. That was also some "Gandhi tier" stuff :p.

May I? Just call it Girls Playing Civ 2018.

Glad to hear a couple of reasonable voices on BE. The mechanics and production on BE were fine, great in places. BE's primary flaw is that it wasn't finished (ie given the appropriate resources), and the thing that held it back was the group think that it was trash. Stop development on Civ V after GnK and it would be in worse shape easily (which I realize isn't setting a very high bar :mischief:)

I would expect Civ fans not to perpetuate the negativity. BE does a lot of things right. It just needed more TLC. Granted, I prefer space and I prefer workers, so those are two big things...

May I? Just call it Girls Playing Civ 2018.
Another sequel, so soon? Wouldn't that dilute the brand? ;)

You're back! Looking forward to hearing the panel's opinions on the Rise & Fall reveals so far when I get the chance to listen.
:)

Glad to hear a couple of reasonable voices on BE. The mechanics and production on BE were fine, great in places. BE's primary flaw is that it wasn't finished... Stop development on Civ V after GnK and it would be in worse shape easily (which I realize isn't setting a very high bar :mischief:)

I would expect Civ fans not to perpetuate the negativity. BE does a lot of things right. It just needed more TLC.
I have always maintained that Beyond Earth was one expansion away from delivering on what was promised with the original release. The comparison to mainline Civ, with V, is apt.

Another sequel, so soon? Wouldn't that dilute the brand? ;)

Is there anyone that could ever get enough of girls playing Civ? :love:

No. I think not.

Top Bottom