PolyCast Episode 304: "Not Just a Lame Clip Show XXIII"

DanQ

Owner, Civilized Communication
Spring has sprung. The three-hundred-and-fourth episode of Civilization strategy podcast PolyCast, "Not Just a Lame Clip Show XXIII", features regular co-hosts Daniel "DanQ" Quick, "Makahlua", Philip "TheMeInTeam" Bellew and Jason "MegaBearsFan" Grade with five guest co-hosts in the twenty-third compilation of segments archived from previous episode recordings and not released previously. With a 59m59s runtime, the summary of topics is as follows:

- 00m37s | Forum Talk
Being able to remove Districts in Civilization VI is followed closely behind by a call to rethink them altogether (06m33s; recorded for Episode 283); then, whether it it worthwhile to acquire any of the game's World Wonders (11m59s; recorded for Episode 290) is just ahead of those introduced in its Rise and Fall expansion pack alongside its Natural cousins (31m12s; recorded for Episode 301).

PolyCast is a bi-weekly audio production recording live every other Saturday throughout the year, in an ongoing effort to give the Civilization community an interactive voice; sibling show ModCast focuses on Civ modding, TurnCast on Civ multiplay. Episode 305 of PolyCast, the show's latest recorded outing in 2018, is to be published on April 15th.

ah yes finally my sad need to build every wonder in the world gets to see the light of day

ah yes finally my sad need to build every wonder in the world gets to see the light of day
:D

It was a welcome coincidence that you were a guest on both panels that discussed World Wonders in the game. It seemed fitting then to release the two conversations together.

Unfortunately, I'm the complete opposite. I rarely build Wonders and I probably don't build enough units either. I think it has to do with the organization of the Production list. They put that Districts/Buildings first, then the Wonders, then the Units, and finally the Projects. I'm pretty certain this is the reason I tend to build mostly Districts and Buildings, rarely build Wonders, don't build enough Units, and hardly ever run Projects (except when going for a Science Victory).

Unfortunately, I'm the complete opposite. I rarely build Wonders...
I think there's a happy medium between you and bite then, as a general approach. There are those Wonders that are an excellent investment in construction more often than not, situationally worthwhile to construct and those rarely if ever worthwhile to construct. All worthwhile to capture, though -- yea points! :mischief:

... and I probably don't build enough units either.
Are your civilizations getting dominated frequently in your games then?

I appreciated the deep dive into Wonders - those two conversations segued very neatly :).

Personally, I'm still in the "nearly no Wonders are worth the investment" camp, but it made me reconsider going for some of the earlier ones. I've also got to keep an eye out for the Zhangye Danxia - it hasn't featured in any of my games so far.

For the science station wonder, there always seems to be a resource rich hilly tundra/snow city spot that is debatable. This wonder gives you a reason to pull the trigger. You know you want to anyway.

Are your civilizations getting dominated frequently in your games then?
Nah, I'm only playing on Prince right now while I'm taking the new civs from the expansion for their test drives. So when I get tag-teamed by the AI, I'm still capable of fending them off with my meager army and my fortified units (I make a habit of stationing a ranged unit in each of my cities, so perhaps I don't build too few units after all).

I appreciated the deep dive into Wonders - those two conversations segued very neatly :).
Glad you not only enjoyed the listen, but found it useful. :)

Personally, I'm still in the "nearly no Wonders are worth the investment" camp
I feel similarly.

I've also got to keep an eye out for the Zhangye Danxia - it hasn't featured in any of my games so far.
I don't find it's generated in games often either, which makes it all the more delicious when it is.

Top Bottom