1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

PolyCast Episode 55: "It's Expulent"

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by DanQ, Oct 19, 2008.

1. DanQ

DanQ Chieftain

Now they're starting to make up their own words. The fifth-fifth episode of PolyCast, "It's Expulent", is now netcasting. Regular co-hosts Daniel "DanQ" Quick, Makahlua and Annalee "Cartimandua" Barney are joined by returning guest co-host Alexander "Alexander I" Strub and first-time guest co-host Stephen "conmcb25" K..

The summary of topics is as follows:

- 03m45s | Mailbag
    The team responds to a detailed email from Sal "Thorburne" Serio who takes some exception to the anti-"realism" position in the Civilization series.
    - 28m59s | News
    Civilization IV: Colonization developer Firaxis Games and publisher 2K Games sponsoring a modding contest for the game, and the same two companies releasing new downloadable content -- also known as DLC -- for Civilization: Revolution.
    - 34m47s | Senate
    A call out to anyone using the so-called Theology slingshot.

- Intro/Outro | Miscellaneous
    The origin of the first time guest co-host's username, what might be on a show sing-along CD and on who's married to whom.

2. wookiee

wookiee Chieftain

Who's the whiny robot?

3. DanQ

DanQ Chieftain

That was courtesy SpokenText.net. (I only mention in the episode itself in the credits at the end.)

4. King Flevance

King Flevance Chieftain

You guys need to include an email robot voiceover in every episode. I can't tell you how many times I was laughing just because of the lack of emotion during certain phrases. Hate mail would sound so awesome through spoken text. :lol:
    Or have it say the lyrics to Rappers Delight.

EDIT: Almost forgot to add that while there was some good discussion on realism vs. gameplay the religion realism part was pretty interesting. Having religion require more than a mere technology would be a nice change possibly. Since it would require you to have to seek out religion by meeting multiple criteria instead of say picking it up as you swung that way through the tech tree. (Usually how Judaism, Chritianity, and Confucianism are founded in my games. "Hey, alright I actually founded that one... I'll take it." :))

You cracked me up doing the voice of "Mom" at the end as well Dan since you had Makahlua and Annalee there. Shakespearean maybe? :lol:

Mostly just writing to say another good episode. :goodjob: You don't have many replies here yet.

5. DanQ

DanQ Chieftain

:D

It's far from perfect but I was pleased enough with it (as evidenced :mischief:). I also figured it was better than a lot of "quote"s and "unquote"s being spoken... :lol:

:)

Listening back on that portion of Sal's letter again, and our response, we focused on the culturally linked starts aspect of it... that led back to "gameplay vs. realism". We did not address the more general suggestion of requiring more than being the first to a technology to found a religion. Perhaps we can revisit this underlying inquiry in a future episode...

:king:

On behalf of the PolyCast team, we appreciate the time you took to comment on this episode. :beer:

6. King Flevance

King Flevance Chieftain

I personally would enjoy hearing your thoughts on it. I agree with the everyone on the shows stance towards culturally links starts. I was mostly intrigued by the idea of religious standards being raised but I am not sure how it would come in. The standards have to be met relativly easily. Perhaps a building count/resource requirement, possibly even dual-tech req. I play choose religions myself but Its possible that by having Buddhism also require something like incense, this could be used as a tool to oppose early religions not gaining a garauntee to dominate the map so easily.

Now, about that robot voice:
    Perhaps you should do a skit where you use SpokenText to interview a giant death robot who is frustrated that Firaxis keeps turning down his resumes to be in the game due to lack of experience or something. That would be hillarious. :D

7. DanQ

DanQ Chieftain

We have now done so. :)

We may take you up on that some day. :D