1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

PolyCast Focus: "Civilization: World"

Discussion in 'CivWorld - General Discussions' started by DanQ, Jun 28, 2011.

1. DanQ

DanQ Owner, Civilized Communication

Reaching but not grasping. "Focus: 'Civilization: World'" features Lisa "qnl" Bang with "Bibor and Jacob "xienwolf" Turner on their experiences to date with the up-and-coming Civilization: World. All three panelists are part of the game's closed beta test currently ongoing.

The summary of topics is as follows:

- 00m25s | Introduction
    An introduction to Civilization: World, a strategy/online multiplayer-hybrid game to bring Civ to the Facebook platform.
    - 03m19s | Impressions
    Panelists share what their initial impressions were upon learning of the game being in development.
    - 08m13s | Design
    For better and worse, on the design elements of CivWorld.
    - 15m09s | Mechanics
    Reviewing a number of the game's mechanics that are still very much a work-in-progress.
    - 20m55s | Concept
    Considering the concept towards what CivWorld is looking to accomplish, and its effectiveness to date.
    - 28m49s | Minigames & Maps
    What is, and what is not, present within the title's minigames and on its maps to its benefit and detriment.
    - 38m34s | Implementation
    Assessing the implementation of CivWorld, including whether the means are looking to justify its ends.
    - 45m59s | Miscellaneous
    The state of the game's Throne Room, Wonder's of the World and reflecting on the involvement of Sid Meier himself.

PolyCast is a bi-weekly audio production in an ongoing effort to give the Civ community an interactive voice on game strategy; sibling show RevCast focuses on Civilization: Revolution, ModCast on Civ modding and TurnCast on Civ multiplay.

2. Trystero

Trystero Deity

Thanks for this. I found this very helpful, in that I am a FB user who's not really interested in gaming on FB, but was wondering if a Civ-related game would be worthwhile. This confirmed a lot of my concerns about such an endeavor .

I really appreciated the frank assessment of the game. And would encourage similar "focus" episodes in the future for other Civ-related topics.

3. DanQ

DanQ Owner, Civilized Communication

You're welcome. I initiated and edited this production, but it was the panelists that brought the content together with Lisa ("qnl") also arranging and leading the discussion.

"Focus" specials on PolyCast to date have almost exclusively been discussions with developers or publishers on an upcoming, or recently released, Civ title. With the atypical lack of a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) for an in-development game such as CivWorld, these closed beta participants were legally able to fully discuss their experiences publicly prior -- and before its 'full' release too.

Thank you for lending your vocal (well, OK, typed ;)) support for this "Focus" approach. :) Hopefully it's a matter of if, not when, a similar circumstance will present itself in the future to give similar treatment to another Civ game.