1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Polynesia as an ultimate candidate to form World Congress?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Akinaba, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Akinaba

Akinaba Warlord

So, if as said, WC is unlocked by the first nation to met all the Civilizations on the map Polynesia with it's ability to cross oceans straight ahead from the start of the game becomes a better choice for those who want to build it and it's a bit overpowered, don't you think? (xcuse for a messy title, will be cool if mods could correct it)

2. anandus

anandus Errorist

I believe you also need to have Printing Press for the WC (not sure though), but indeed, if Polynesia's UA remains the same it's a good choice for a quick WC.
    Edit:
    I can't find any evidence for my claim about the printing press, so ignore that.
    Edit2:
    found it at IGN

3. Tinker

Tinker Prince

Yeah, that was my first thought too. Maybe they'll restrict it to an era?

4. sukritact

sukritact Artist and Modder

If you need the printing press it's already restricted to the Renaissance.

5. Akinaba

Akinaba Warlord

Yes, but anyhow if you are a Polynesia all you particularly need is to rush to the PP (if it's obviously your goal), while other Civilizations pushed back in discovering until they discover Optics.

One of the possible decisions is to push an ability to cross oceans on an earlier tech, or to make Polynesians ability to cross ocean on slightly later tech then the first one. :confused:

6. seancolorado

seancolorado Deity

That would make Polynesia's UA significantly weaker. Makes you wonder if their UA receives an overhaul...

7. Hammer Rabbi

Hammer Rabbi Deity GOTM Staff

what exactly does the WC do for the game or the civ that establishes it? i havent read the numerous threads about all this new stuff.

8. Gucumatz

Gucumatz JS, secretly Rod Serling

One benefit for Polynesia though is those Trade Ships can cross the ocean early with no/little problem from barbarians.

9. sukritact

So now not only can they encounter civs, city states and ruins earlier, but they will also be able to found the World Council and Trade with overseas civs with relative safety?

Sounds like they'll become OP...

10. BrotherInJah

BrotherInJah 60% of the time works every time

Builder Civ propose on what project WC will vote.

11. BrotherInJah

BrotherInJah 60% of the time works every time

unless both sides have to be able ocean trading.

12. Akinaba

Akinaba Warlord

It really, really is. So my guessing is that their UA is going to be overhauled...

13. Heinage

Heinage Khan

"This body is created once a civilization meets every other nation in the world and creates a printing press"

Nobody seems to have yet picked up on the fact that it says you have to "Create" a printing press?
    Perhaps one of the new buildings rather than just a tech?...

14. sukritact

Seems more likely to be a lexical error. Even if this were the case, it should be relatively simple to build. "The Great Printing Press" doesn't seem like a possible candidate for a world wonder (or even a national one at that)...

15. anandus

anandus Errorist

Yeah, I have been wondering about that too, but as a building a 'printing house' or 'publisher' or something would make more sense as a name. Although I could see a building like that having a function in BNW, to increase culture or to house printed works of art or some other function.

But maybe it's just fancy writing by the IGN author?

16. strijder20

strijder20 Wallowing in irony

That's very likely.

17. Hammer Rabbi

Hammer Rabbi Deity GOTM Staff

thanks, i just decided to read the "What we know" thread. WC sounds interesting. sound like this will be an entirely new game ... again.

and on the topic, polynesia certainly can meet many civs very early by water but i still see in most of my pangea/continents games 1 civ and 2-3 CSs buried in the center or land locked with no coastal presence. depending on the significance of the WC it might be the reason people actually start playing polynesia. it doesnt seem to get much attention/love in the favorites category.

18. Akinaba

Akinaba Warlord

Mind you that it's much easier to went into the continent on early stage of a game (while there is still room free of borders) and that's actually also a benifit, you just need to focus on it a bit more attentively than usual.

19. Matthew.

Matthew. Deity

What's the big deal? Many Civs have inherent bonuses over others. Babylon/Korea dominate science, Keshiks/Camels can clear a map with ease, Ethiopia/Maya generate crazy faith...

So Polynesia has a slight advantage in forming the WC if it rushes printing press. Great. Good for them. Why is this a problem again?

20. Leugi

Leugi Supreme Libertador

Perhaps a good way to prevent the unfair advantage would be giving the ability to trade maps like in Civ2... trading a map with polynesia will allow you to meet new civs without having researched optics...