1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Polynesia is surprisingly fun!

Discussion in 'Strategy Forum' started by Thalassicus, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Thalassicus

Thalassicus Bytes and Nibblers

The Dutch were my favorite nation in Civ 4, so I was rather excited to see Polynesia would be a builder-type civ with a coastal focus. I hadn't really tried a cultural victory yet in Civ 5 and I decided to give it a shot. I tilted things a bit in my favor with a small continents script, large, immortal, standard settings.

I gotta say, this is just about the best start location you can get for Polynesia!

Easily defensible desert choke point with Citadel and Fort, built a decent navy to protect the shore, and I was all set. I started next to Songhai and France to the northwest and southwest, who have been invading across the water all game, but thankfully I got Hiawatha to the northeast and he's been my friend all game. :king:

I'm surprised at just how much is going on in a builder game. I was concerned all the buffs to peaceful gameplay might make things too easy, but it seems there's still always tons of stuff to do. I had a hard time getting everything done I needed this game... in particular I wanted to ally with nearby citystates more, but Hiawatha's tremendously competitive for citystates. My friendship level with Kuala Lumpor there in the center is at 252/30 alliance stage yet Hiawatha's still outmatching me! :lol:

This is also my first real game to get a lot of use out of the Citystate Diplomacy mod, and I've gotta say it's a lot more fun than the vanilla game's uninspiring toss-the-gold. If only we could give the Quest system more depth too!

2. black213

black213 Emperor

So far I thought Inca as the most "unique" civilization, but now Polynesia seems to take the crown.
    Sadly, I think Polynesia is too expensive for just one civilization.

3. Thalassicus

I'd prefer to keep debates over pricing on the general civ forums, please. :)

Inca is a lot of fun! The difference between the two of course is Polynesia has a very specific strategy. Every characteristic is designed to support a cultural victory path... which can be good or bad. It's fun to have so much built to support a predetermined strategy, especially since in the past I tend to play civs with more holistic flexibility.

I think I might play a few more games to really get a sense of how a cultural victory path progresses. If anyone usually goes with that strategy, what are some general guidelines you follow? Do you wait until the Renaissance to make a big cultural push with Free Speech and the other Freedom policies, or build cultural buildings as soon as they become available? How much do you emphasize citystate alliances?

4. Sneaks

Sneaks Brooklyn Bum

With a civ like Polynesia, I am conflicted on 2 strategies right now.

1. Tradition --> Legalism --> LE, Piety --> Mandate of Heaven

2. Liberty --> worker policy --> Meritocracy. GE --> Oracle or save for Chichen or Hagia (Chichen if I am production poor, otherwise Hagia)

Either way, my 6 branches right now are:

Tradition
    Piety
    Freedom
    Patronage
    Order
    Liberty

I will usually ignore culture buildings til later in the game, focusing on science and production. I usually try to focus on GSs in my secondary cities, and GEs in my capital. This is especially important in Modern, as I want to have a GE hanging around ready for Cristo and Statue of Liberty if I can get it. If I get Statue, it is pretty much game over, as I can work a metric ton of Artists for the last few policies while producing culture buildings.

5. Thalassicus

#1 is basically what I tried in this game, though I think I was trying to do too many things at once. I started next to a number of fantastic CSs and was trying to get them all instead of focusing on one or two (or ignoring them entirely) and I got into a bidding war with Hiawatha that wasted a lot of effort. Probably should have just settled for Friendly status.

Something I've been thinking about is moving the Patronage policy that speeds influence gain up to the top of the tree. It'd especially be helpful in the CS diplomacy mod since it improves production of diplomacy units.

6. Sneaks

Sneaks Brooklyn Bum

No real need to. The opener is just as good, just attacking from a different angle.

7. Sneaks

Sneaks Brooklyn Bum

Also, has anyone else found themselves lining their entire islands with Moais even when they are clearly beyond the range of anything useful just because it looks cool?

8. Thalassicus

Haha, I did the same thing! If you look closely in the screenshot you'll see Moai's along the top-left bit of desert... though I didn't add any to the rightmost desert. I'll do that next time. :lol:

Sadly I lost this game, Gandhi had a colossal lead on me in culture... probably because he got half the world wonders long before I could acquire them. I was catching up with him quickly and would have won in twenty turns or so. Looking back at the game I realized what my mistake was: I went for science buildings near the end before cultural ones, when I should have done the opposite. I didn't know how quickly things would accelerate to the game's conclusion.

9. Sneaks

Sneaks Brooklyn Bum

Usually the trick is once you pop out your first Great Scientists, send your university dudes back to the mines, or better yet, to the workshop/windmill. Lategame for me is all about RAs and if I can get a great dude, I want it to be a GE for Cristo and if I manage a second, SoL.

10. Thalassicus

I've realized a good strategy in the TBC version of Polynesia is to send one warrior east and one west, at the tropics of capricorn and cancer. It quickly gets in contact with every civ on the map for signing early declarations of friendship. I think Polynesia is a bit on the weak side in vanilla, but with the bonuses of DoF's in TBC they become a top-tier civ.

11. SlightlyMad

SlightlyMad Prince

Did you get any moais with more than +3 culture?

12. Thalassicus

Yep, I'm often getting 4 culture, which is easy to do with any tile that sticks out a bit into the ocean. Sometimes I've even gotten 5.

13. KeyCey1995

KeyCey1995 Chieftain

Is the Citystate Diplomacy mod playable with the Balance mods? :eek:

14. CYZ

CYZ Toileteer

What's the max culture you could get with Moai, theoreticly?

It could be six, with the right terrain right?

15. Thalassicus

Yeah, six. Three is the norm because you can get 3 Moai in a row on any stretch of coastline, so long as there's not resources in the way. That resource issue is actually the one thing that annoys me... makes resources somewhat of a bad thing. I wonder if it'd make sense to let Moai be built on resources? The Moai tile itself is rather empty after all.

I often manage to get 4 culture, and sometimes 5, though 6 requires such perfect circumstances it's nearly impossible.

16. SlightlyMad

SlightlyMad Prince

I take it that it's completely outside of the realms of possibility to switch it to counting adjacent water tiles instead of adjacent moai, right? That would make so much more sense, as it would be best suited to small islands instead of peninsulas as it is now. It would still be about 3 culture in most standard locations, although you wouldn't have weak end statues so the average would surely be far higher per plot. Might have to temper it somehow to make up for that, like removing the gold bonus and actually giving it a maintenance cost.

17. Thalassicus

To my knowledge such an option is not possible with our tools. The Incan improvement was designed badly and that effect can only be applied to mountains, they did not include a field to determine what terrain type to check for.

18. SlightlyMad

SlightlyMad Prince

That's a shame, since you could do some really cool stuff with that. A forest or jungle improvement based on the number of adjacent forest or jungle tiles would also be really cool (maybe something like a national park).

19. CYZ

CYZ Toileteer

Good point, then again, that would be very powerfull on a tiny islands/archipelago map type. And Polynesia is already the most powerfull civ on such maps. So perhaps it's beter as is.

Tip: Build the Moai at the edge of your cities workable terain, then build more just outside to increase the boost of the workable ones.

20. HannibalBarka

HannibalBarka We are Free

ho do you get Polynesia civ ? is it in your mod Thal? I don't seee any any new civs in it.