1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Polynesian Civ?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Metal Alloy Man, May 21, 2008.

?

Should the Polynesians be added as a Civ?

1. Yes

60.9%
  2. No

41.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Metal Alloy Man

Metal Alloy Man Back in Black

Does anyone think there should be a Polynesian Civ? I think so they weren't just a barbaric peoples, they colonized the entire Pacific ocean pretty much and have a rich cultural heritage just like the Native Americans. IMO I think if the Native Americans are added that the Polynesians should be included as well. Thoughts?:confused:

2. omnimutant

omnimutant Warlord

The More the merrier in my book. I agree that some Polynesian representation should be included as well as More African Civ's.

I was actually surprised to see specific Mezo American Civ's(Inca, Maya etc) but only one Generalized Civ to cover the Many tribes of Native Americans that Occupied the North American continent. They could have expanded those into at least 3 or 4 Civ's as there cultures were very different. I also think there should be some Eskimo representation as well. (Please excuse me if thats not the PC term for them).

3. Pir Lan Tota

Pir Lan Tota Warlord

Eskimo's would be cool, especially if they have a UB that gives them food from tundra/ice squares or extra food from water.

I agree with Polynesian ones as well, the UU should be a boat that CAN go over ocean squares and survive, or it can sink, like in the older versions of civ, meaning you can expand, at a cost.

the UB....little harder, maybe a harbour that allows intercontinental trading between your cities, so your empire really is an empire

4. Bigfoot3814

Bigfoot3814 Deity

Maybe they could be called Oceania. Someone definitley made a Polynesia mod for Civ III. Too bad there's no more seafaring trait. Anyway, their UU should be an early ship that can travel into the ocean, and their UB should be a fire pit, or something. Sorry, except for the Hawaiian royalty, I don't know any famous Polynesian leaders, 'cept Dog the bounty Hunter!!

5. Onagan

Onagan The Dutch

I would prefer one specific Civ, then a general Polynesian Civ

The Māori are from New Zealand, the largest of the Polynesian islands.
    There are enough famous Māori leaders to choose from.

Not a polynesian Civ but very welcome, also from down under, The Aboriginals.

6. Genv [FP]

Genv [FP] Website Moron

I think we have enough civs

7. Wolfshanze

Wolfshanze CFC Historian

Well for starters, it's already been done for Civ4.

8. Rusty Edge

Rusty Edge Deity

Generally, the more that's added to this game, the more I like it.

I'd prefer a specific Pacific Ocean Civ, just as I'd prefer Iriquois to generic Native American, but it's nice to see civs get nods and recognition with wonders, UUs, UBs, leaders, and great people, so if they can spread those around a pan -Pacific Civ would be better than nothing.

I think I'd like to see civs or leaders characterized as seafaring, herding, or horticultural,
    with appropriate bonuses.

Australia has it's own continent, I'd rather it had it's own civ than have it lumped in with everybody else in the Pacific.

9. Supr49er

Supr49er 2011 Thunderfall Cup

They would be fun to play on a water map.
    UU - Outrigger (Replaces Galley) can enter ocean tiles, carry 2 units ???
    UB - Navigation Hut (Replaces Harbor) +1 MP or +1 Visibility ???

10. Neato

Neato Dog Culture Advisor

Esnaz's mod has a Polynesian civ.

11. CCRunner

CCRunner Deity

I like this idea. Have the UB give a free sentry promotion to boats.
    Although, this is basically what I think the vikings should have as UU. :viking:

12. Magma_Dragoon

Magma_Dragoon Reploid

The Polynesians settled in Japan and South America so they are sorta part of two civs in the game, but I'm all for more civs. I'm just afraid we'll run out of trait combos.

13. Metal Alloy Man

You can always add traits, for example I think they should bring the seafaring and agricultural traits back. By the way, are you sure they colonized South America?

14. Civfan333

Civfan333 full metal alchemist

It wouldn't be right because the were never united (which is also why I never play as the Native Americans) you could put in the Indonesian, Samoan, Hawaiian.....

15. Kranden

Kranden War is the real diplomacy

Polywuttt!!!!!

jk

but no I don't think they really are that well known to have a spot. Also were they not very tribal and had no central government. (makes you wonder why native americans are in here...)

16. Magma_Dragoon

Magma_Dragoon Reploid

Yeah they were in South America like 35,000 years ago. Eat it Alaskan land bridge theory! The winds of the south Pacific swoop down toward Chile and then back around toward Polynesia. Some archeologist made a boat called the Kan Tiki to test this idea and it worked.

17. Civfan333

Civfan333 full metal alchemist

QFT, they should have named them the sioux or something...

18. Pangur Bán

Pangur Bán Deconstructed

A great civ to have if they ever addeed more, but don't see it happenin'.

19. Öjevind Lång

Öjevind Lång Deity

The "Vikings", that is to say the Norsemen, never were united either, so that argument doesn't hold water. Unless you want the Vikings removed from the game.

I like the suggestion of the special Polynesian unit being an outrigger which may or may not sink when being on ocean tiles.

20. Metal Alloy Man

Also, the Mongols weren't united for very long and even when they were united they were still pretty much just barbarians. The Huns were also like this and they're not a civ.