Polynesian Turtle Ships

BroOfTheSun

Warlord
In my last game, I went for a domination victory with Polynesia. I discovered that if you use a Privateer to capture a Turtle Ship, then the Polynesian UA overrides the Turtle Ship's restriction of going into ocean tiles. You can now move the Turtle Ship freely, and it is not restricted to the coast, and Turtle ships are incredibly powerful for their era.

Apologies for no screenshot, as I'm not at home. Just thought I would share for any others who haven't seen this.

Same applies to quinqueremes, great galleases, dromons, and also the triremes/galleases the polynesians build themselves. Not that the polynesians really need more advantages if you want to go for naval combat.

Same applies to quinqueremes, great galleases, dromons, and also the triremes/galleases the polynesians build themselves. Not that the polynesians really need more advantages if you want to go for naval combat.

That's true, but you're missing the point. I'm pointing out the Turtle Ship case because it's a UU that replaces the caravel...a ship that all other civs can use to enter ocean tiles. Turtle ship is also much more useful than any of those other ships, and incredibly powerful for it's era (stronger than Privateer). No point in using a trireme, dromon, or galleass when you have to capture them with a Privateer. A ship that completely outmatches those other ships. A great galleass might be useful though.

That's true, but you're missing the point. I'm pointing out the Turtle Ship case because it's a UU that replaces the caravel...a ship that all other civs can use to enter ocean tiles. Turtle ship is also much more useful than any of those other ships, and incredibly powerful for it's era (stronger than Privateer). No point in using a trireme, dromon, or galleass when you have to capture them with a Privateer. A ship that completely outmatches those other ships. A great galleass might be useful though.

A fleet of ocean-going dromons would be pretty useful for a vast naval assault... though by the time privateers come along, I suppose that they would be obsolete.

Oh God, what a relief - this is not another thread of a guy who doesn't know about city states giving unique civs' units :crazyeye:

They do not.

I wished they changed that for say water maps but I can't see it happening. Still I love the mechanism as it is and even change my game play and research path to maximise getting favourite units like longbows, CNK, Samurai etc.

And yes I agree with OP Poly Turtle ships are cool.

I've thought before about having every militaristic city-state provide their own unique unit. Sidon would provide a Bireme unique unit that would replace Triremes. Sadly, I don't think that'll come to fruition.

Top Bottom