1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Polystralia's faction bonus

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by Zeuel, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Zeuel

Zeuel Chieftain

I only recently started playing at the Apollo level a couple of days ago and my first game is playing Polystralia on a massive terran arid map at the marathon game speed(I only play marathon) and it feels like their bonus is a win more sort of bonus.

I started off in the dead middle of the continent with enemies on three sides of me(Brazil, INTEGR, and Franco-Iberia) and an eventual ally(Al Falah) on the other and I don't think it was until about turn 400 that I even started to see any real benefit to being Polystralia. I mean it wasn't until about turn 400 that I had my cities positioned in such a way that enemy cavalry couldn't run in and plunder a bunch of caravan routes and that I had enough cities where extra domestic trade routes were useful.

My bonus didn't really take off until I practically controlled half the continent whereas PAC's bonus or INTEGR's bonus would have come in a lot earlier and been consistent throughout the game. It just felt like Polystralia's bonus didn't help me towards really winning the game until I was already pretty set towards winning the game. Am I missing something? The internet seems to love Polystralia while I'm kinda meh on Polystralia.

2. SahintheFalcon

SahintheFalcon Chieftain

Make more cities, and prioritize convoys. Don't built anything else until your convoys are maxed out.

It is literally better to have a completely undeveloped city with 3 convoys than a developed city with none.

3. Zeuel

Zeuel Chieftain

Maybe I had a bad starting area so close to 4 other factions surrounding but I was at war the moment I had two or three cities and I tend to keep building cities early(usually with energy when possible) as long as it won't bring me to -10 or lower.

I don't think I was able to adequately protect my trade routes from roaming Brazilian armor until I had about 4 cities. Once I got four cities my trade routes were safe from Brazil because the fourth city had it's back to a mountain, was in a choke point, and I took the trait that gives you +1/+1.5/+2.5 city defense per population. Once I had about six or seven cities with four around a large lake that were able to trade freely with each other(since my ally, Al Falah, was to the north) that I finally had a somewhat stable trade network that wasn't getting plundered all the time but was still somewhat susceptible in the south to French and INTEGR plundering. Really though I don't think my trade routes were safe until roughly the time I took Weltgeist(turn 613) and I had enough cities that could trade internally where no one could really plunder them.

The bonus didn't really start taking off until about turn 659 when I had so many cities that had no threat whatsoever from plundering but by that point the game is pretty much won since out of the ten original players INTEGR and Franco-Iberia are shadows of a civilization at this point, Al Falah is my ally(like solid 9/9 ally for hundreds of turns) at least until I start Exodus Gate, ARC/Brazil/NSA/Chungsu/KP are all wiped out, and I have caught up technologically to the Slavic Federation and just started wiping out their small colonies in my area.

My cities are all easily at 100+ city strength with 30 aircraft able to cover them in flight areas that overlap each other greatly so any one unit could be in range of up to 15 aircraft so I have a really really stable military situation. Really the only thing that is going to possibly beat me now is if I'm slow to get a strong navy and the Slavic Federation builds an Emancipation Gate and wins super fast but they only recently just researched the tech that even lets them build the gate.

I'm not saying Polystralia's bonus is bad because it's really really good. I just wish it was really good at a point when I needed my faction's bonus to be really good and not really good when I'm already on the upswing and surging ahead to a solid win. Personally I just think that maybe PAC or possibly even INTEGR has a better faction bonus from my little bit of Apollo experience.

4. PvtHudson

PvtHudson Chieftain

I usually play on small map, normal speed, default number of AI opponents, Apollo difficulty. Don't know which of above conditions cause that, but I seldom get early or even mid-game war on my hands. Most of the time, AIs turn on me only when victory countdown has started. And in the times of piece Polystralia's trait is huge!

5. Zeuel

Zeuel Chieftain

I often max out number of AI opponents possible for a map so it does tend to lead to a bit of overcrowding. War tends to come early and often. Also any time I'm on the same map as Brazil war seems to happen a lot. :p