Pool of Radiance

damunzy

recovering former mod
Retired Moderator
Nice looking game. Kind of disapointed in it though.
Reasons for disapointment:
1 - Cannot choose Feats or Skills. The computer automatically chooses them.
2 - Only one way to 'roll' stats. Well you don't really roll them, you get to choose them according to the 3rd Editon rules for picking stats. This makes the game more 'fair', i.e. everyone that plays the game gets the same difficulty, but I wonder then why one of the premade characters breaks this rule...
3 - Doesn't come with XP support. Truthfully I haven't had any problems with the game yet, but I think that they should have addressed the new OS and supported it on release of the game.
4 - Poor network code. I say this because the game can't handle the fact that my computer shows its IP is a local one (192.168.x.x) and that my external (internet) ip is different. Why does it need to know what the ip is, as long as the game knows what the foreign (other players) ips are then everything should be koser.
5 - The game speed is pretty slow. No it isn't as processor problem, just the 'leveling up' and the pace at which the characters move in battle is almost maddening. The characters I have played 'leveled up' faster in Pencil and Paper games.
6 - Leaving out some of the D&D 3e rules and modifying others. They left out 3 classes. One of them my favorite. The Wizard, the Bard, and the Druid. I miss the Wizard. I guess they just didn't want ppl memorizing spells. Oh, and they made it so that Clerics don't have to memorize spells, which is nice. Clerics/Paladin's Turn ability is different also. Instead of scaring away the monsters it freezes/holds them in place. I can understand this change. It would get old having to run down the dead all the time because the Cleric/Paladin scared them away.

Otherwise I am enjoying the game, just wish I could get multiplayer to work.
Oh and in all the games I have played I have never seen so many magical items thrown given out :)

:o

I was looking forwart to it but now, after point 1, 2 & 6 I am kinda unsure :o
especially 1!
"Cannot choose Feats or Skills. The computer automatically chooses them. "
WTF? I love the 3rd Edition Thiefs but now...
Realtime combat is bad enough but they did the same crap that ruined the Baldurs gate games IMO: reduce the rules to combat only!
and now that!!
"Cannot choose Feats or Skills" !!!!
Seems like nobody is capable of making a good D&D RPG :(
Let's hope Neverwinter Nights won't be such a dissapointment...

Fallout 4 ever! :goodjob:

It is a real time game except when you get into combat. Then the game goes into truns similar to D&D 3e.

At first sight I thought you were talking about Pool of Radiance 1, released in early 90s :D
Effectively, I've seen the screenshots of this sequel and I was quite both impressed and disappointed. Disappointed because it's not at the same level as the other "standards" such as BG series for instance. Oh I'm probably judging the game before it's released but... That's a strange feeling.

Top Bottom