1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

poor mans civ

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by kaschpal, Dec 14, 2005.

1. kaschpal

kaschpal Chieftain

Heyho,
    I one of the people that does have a laptop with the right requirements, but the game runs so slow (especially once theres a lot happening - later game) that its no fun...

Can anyone tell me if its (technically) possbile that a mod wil be released in which the game really bad graphics for really bad computers
    and people that dont have the money to buy a computer with the game...

PS:
    Ive also heard that its actually the AI eating up the memory, is that true?

2. MrCynical

MrCynical Deity

It should be technically possible to make a mod of that type, and you might want to have a look round the creation and customization forums. I assume you've turned all graphics down to low and switched to low res texture? Have you tried Harkannon's memory fix? That helped quite a lot on my computer.

At least for me it is the graphics, not the Ai that's eating memory, as the game will run smooth as silk when looking at open ocean, but if i move the view to a cluttered landmass the framerate plummets.

3. scarl

scarl Chieftain

Sound like a good idea:
    - Get rid of all the trees and replace them with simple ground texture
    - Get rid of all the buildings and replace them with a single cube representing the city alltogether.
    - reduce all the units to a single polygon holding a texture made out of a screenshot of that unit.

It would look ugly like hell for sure and maybe even improve the framerate :)

4. jerry247

jerry247 Warlord

how slow is your laptop? i've been thinking of installing it on mine, but thats a lot of work, will it even run w/ win me?

5. ceiph

ceiph Chieftain

play small maps

6. evirus

evirus Warlord

theres a mod somewhere that replaces the leaderheads with still pictures, helps a little.

if you realy want to play civ theres an open source version of Civ1 with multiplayer, search google for freeciv i think

7. kaschpal

kaschpal Chieftain

My comuter is a 1.2 ghz, 256 SD ram, 64mb ati graphics (dont know what one...) HP pavillion...I put absolutuly everything on as low as possible, plus I set my graphics card on performance only...:cry:

Thanks for the replies, now Ill just hope that someone that knows what hes doing implements it...:goodjob: until then - civ3!!

PS:
    You know if theres any AI patches/mods for civ3?

8. Psyringe

Psyringe Scout

A "low bandwidth" mod is probably possible, but not yet. The main reason why the graphics are so demanding is because there are just too many polygons to display at the same time. We could exchange the meshes of the current objects with lower polygon versions, but currently no one knows the file format for these meshes, as these are native to the Gamebryo 2 engine. The SDK, which will be released in January, is expected to solve this issue. Until then it is very unlikely that a low bandwidth mod will show up.

Another possibility to limit the amount of geometry to be displayed at the same time is to limit view distance and don't calculate polygons which are smaller than a given size. Such functionality may come with a patch. Also, a CFC forum member (Harkonnen) is working on a solution to this problem.

9. DemonDeLuxe

DemonDeLuxe Warlord

Yes, and it even offers hexagonal tiles, something serious strategy gamers value quite a bit since it makes movement calculations much more accurate and realistic (on a rectangular grid, a diagonal move is 1.4 times as far as a straight move). Sadly, in all of it's official versions, CIV has never been able to do that. It's a bit of a shame, IMHO.

You can "limit" it even now by simply zooming in. You won't have much of an overview, however, and events like founding a religion will make the map zoom around, nonetheless.