1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Poorly implemented climate change?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Howitzer, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Howitzer

Howitzer Chieftain

Ok I have almost no factories at all, and a tiny army of 2 GDR, a carrier , 3 bombers 2 mech infs and 2 helicopters.

Although no factories, no army I'm #1 at Co2 Emissions and climate change has begun...

And my city comercial district flooded permenantly.

But why cant I build a new one in a different location considering there is appropriate space to do so??
    Have you ever heard of a real goverment leaving their infrastructure sunk or destroyed forever after a natural disaster?.

1.jpg 2.jpg

TheMeInTeam likes this.
  2. NorthernPalmyra

NorthernPalmyra Chieftain

I like the idea although I've not yet figured out how to create a sustainable power source for my cities coal & oil plants, no problem is there an eco friendlyequivalent?

3. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

I'll repeat my thought that in a way happy that the designers dared to include such a so-called "controversial" subject matter, but I don't know that I want it in a game.

4. Howitzer

Howitzer Chieftain

There's no point in discussing whether it's a good idea to have environmental issues within the game, what is done is done. However since we do have them, let it work properly.

You can't have 50% ice melt with the world's largest economy running on hydro power.

Scalling of the global warming is difficult to follow...

3.5 degrees increase since ancient times and you lose 50% of polar ice and seas increase by 3m???

Solar farms in desert give money and production but nothing related to power. Same for geothermal resources. And when a district floods you can not build it somewhere else .

It's too much...
    With these things you're gonna make me be like the president of a great country, who claims global warming is fake news

5. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

In Civ 6 terms there's no question it's fake news. Literally but also in terms of internal game consistency. A small army with no factories leading the world in emissions implies that there is almost nothing comparable to our industrial revolution or pollution/emissions going on in that timeline. Player has eschewed the vast majority of agency-dependent sources of climate change in the game. Having it still happen is a joke, even from a pure gameplay standpoint.

Being unable to replace lost district seems bugged too.

Compared to making slavery a contender for "strongest civic in the game" or making uncle Joe lead Russia this is nothing in terms of controversy by comparison, unless we're just talking about its poor design in terms of agency/outcome.

Cedbird77, MrRadar, Seek and 2 others like this.
  6. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

fair enough

7. Sagax

Sagax Emperor

They actually do provide power. It’s just that it’s not written clearly on their tile improvement tooltip, you need to check on the tech tree or Civilopedia. I am pretty sure my city went from underpowered to powered after my Builder created a solar farm.

Howitzer likes this.
  8. Howitzer

Howitzer Chieftain

I think I saw it too, but not after only one farm. However like you say it's not properly displayed and also I'm not certain it took only one farm to power the city or it took more. And since when you hover over the farm you don't see mention of a power effect I can't risk to say it does happen

9. BackseatTyrant

BackseatTyrant Queer Anarchotranshumanist

I do must ask, Howitzer, what is causing the emissions in your game? Could they merely be a matter of population and empire size?

10. FenrisWolf456

FenrisWolf456 Chieftain

I too am unsure on the entirety of the global warming mechanics. In my first game as Canada, I seem to have been the second highest carbon emission civ on the planet, despite having 1 coal factory in the industrial era, then 2 oil in the modern when the world was fully flooded. I did railroad through my small empire and eventually had a few oil using troops (I think 2 or 3 infantry, a tank, an artillery piece, and 3 or 4 boats). There seemed to be a lot of chopping done on the AI civs' parts while I had chopped a couple of stands of trees overall. I couldn't even get flood barriers up in time to prevent most of the vulnerable tiles in my empire from being submerged.

I can't imagine what would have happened if I had been a full on industrial civ with multiple power plants and a large standing army. Well, I guess I can, as I suffered for it with less already.

From the information you showed, it looks like the district is Flooded. If you finish the flood barrier in time, you will then be able to repair the district, but while flooded it will remain unusable (pillaged). If it gets Submerged, then it should be fully removed from your city and you should be able to build another. What you seem to be asking for isn't in the mechanics of the game. You can't remove/move districts once you put them down, and just because your district is fully pillaged, doesn't mean you can just build another one in the same city. There is just another mechanic in place that prevents you from repairing the pillaged district until you deal with the flooding.

Jewelrunna likes this.
  11. Sagax

Sagax Emperor

Off my memory, so might be wrong: a single solar farm provides 2 power. Most Tier 3 buildings require 3 power each, so one solar farm won’t be enough. Assuming no other power sources, you will need 2 solar farms to power one T3 building, 3 farms for two, and 5 farms for three.

You can see power output of your city in the city overview.

BenitoChavez likes this.
  12. Greasy Dave

Greasy Dave Prince

The tool tips are really bad in this regard. I'm not sure how much power the solar farms provide..but I know they do. As do wind farms and offshore windfarms. But you need to build several of them.

I have something like the same experience as you. I'm the world's second largest polluter althgough I only have two oil plants - the rest of my power comes from renewables. In the last 20 turns of my game I laid railways everywhere (which probably raised the CO2...though I don't see why it should given electricity can be generated from renewables) and I have an army of machine guns, one tank, one modern armour and a navy of 4 cruisers and 2 battleships. I only experienced global warming up to level 3, I think though. (I didn't do any chopping)

The whole thing could be much much clearer....but that's Firaxis for you. tool tips, reports and explanations seem to be the last things they think of providing.

13. King of Prussia

King of Prussia Warlord

i feel like its not scaled properly. I feel like it happens way to fast, with too little emissions.

those flood barriers suffer quite a bit from it. if you dont rush them, and get them up and going when they are super cheap, you are never going to build them before all the tiles are lost.(lost for good at that) i had a few games now, where a few of my cities probably spent 40 turns making them, because every time they got sub 10 turns, the climate would change and it would increase the cost to build it. once climate change starts kicking in, it takes off. there is no slow build up for it. you better hope your cities that can build them have good production or you are never going to be able to build them.

i figured they would just cost more money to maintain as more tiles were being protected, rather than the production cost skyrocketing.

really it is another issue with the production vs tech scaling. One that feeds off the other. You need power/production to keep up with the costs and building the stuff you just unlocked which then causes climate change. if you didnt get to the flood gates soon enough and dont have the production to make them quickly, it will cripple your cities and there isnt a thing you can do about it.

and afaik, capturing carbon comes super late, and doesn't undo the climate change?(like tiles becoming available again or ice reforming) you just spam it for favor.

14. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Emperor

I just finished a Maori culture game. Literally filled my empire with trees (Mana+Marae+Eifel tower and a lot of parks etc.). Only got one sea level rise when I finished in the information era and that was mostly from Korea.

15. TrailblazingScot

TrailblazingScot I was kittenOFchaos

I've only played through one game, but Global Warming appears to be far too rapid and far too limited in scope.

Humanity is happily burning fossil fuels as fast as we can get them out of the ground and we've not experience the rapid temperature rise and polar ice melt that I saw in my game. Despite this, the impact of the changes was minor with only a few tiles being lost to flooding despite a temperature rise of over 9 degrees Celsius! Do that in real life and it would be pretty apocalyptic!

I'd prefer it if Global Warming was slower, but the consequences were far, far, far more dramatic. Far more extensive flooding (a sea level rise of almost 65m is possible) and severe drought, hurricanes, wildfires and desertification.

I am delighted that Global Warming has been introduced to Civ 6, but it could be even better :)

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2013/09/rising-seas-ice-melt-new-shoreline-maps/

Leathaface, Elhoim, oakdragon and 4 others like this.
  16. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

You should be using Military Engineers to compete flood barriers, building the MEs in high production cities rather than building MEs or Flood Barriers themselves in production weak coastal cities.

Cedbird77 and Myomoto like this.
  17. sonicmyst

sonicmyst Emperor

There should be an Ask for Promise to "Minimize CO2 emissions" and later on a casus belli if the civ does not become earth friendly.

There should also be a way to turn off coal / oil plants once you build them if you want to comply with being environment friendly later on.

Thibaulthc and ChocolateShake like this.
  18. King of Prussia

King of Prussia Warlord

ME can boost that production? I thought they could only boost canals.

19. Pietato

Pietato Emperor

It is messed up. My entire empire was trees (Maori) and powered by Cardiff. I still had equal first CO2 emissions, just from my small number of troops.

You also need an INDUSTRIAL ZONE to run carbon capture projects, which is incredibly stupid.

20. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

Well, at least it's a buff to IZs. :shifty: And you presumably you don't need to waste hammers adding any buildings to the district in order to run the project.

ChocolateShake and Pietato like this.