1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Popular Feminist Takes 'The Red Pill' : Beds White Supremacist

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by RomanKing, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The trees are actually quite lovely.

Gamergate? It's 2017, why do we care about gamergate? I never got a particularly convincing argument as to why I should have cared overmuch about it in 2014. It's 2017, and gaming is changing. It's much bigger, it's much more profitable, and when something is profitable - nobody leaves you alone to mind your own business. Did I miss the tie in from Bv?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  2. bernie14

bernie14 Filter Manipulator

point is, humor is a mature defense mechanism. so is art...from Picasso's Guernica to kathy griffin's "head shot" . Projection, reaction formation and intellectualization are not but they’ll do in a pinch

Hygro likes this.
  3. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

Well, the post he was responding to was partly about "gamersgate" and I sort of assumed he was referring to that part for... no real reason at all. But what I said is true for the debate about politics in gaming as a whole, gamergate was just the first (and probably least constructive) bump of that.

And it's true of course, people will not let you alone, so you can either give in, or fight back. Gamers have chosen to do the latter.

4. Farm Boy

I cut my teeth on rescuing princesses, stopping kidnappings, mowing down metroids, Commander Keen, Duke Nukem', and silent protagonists so badass the very act of giving them voice would diminish their badassery. Triple As aren't the same. Now the sports games are RPGs complete with mithril jersies and adamantine bats, we mow down brown people, run over pedestrians for thrills and steal our money back from the hookers we just hired, and robot suits have blue push-up qualities. Hardly any taboos left to break, but somehow still less badass. Oh yeah, and there's some cool stuff too.

5. Ryika

I heard Custer's Revenge was pretty offensive, too!

6. Farm Boy

Yes, but that Atari cartridge was hardly triple A. Aint no E.T. boyeeeee!

7. Ryika

Great, now you made me remember the disappointment that was the AVGN movie.

8. Farm Boy

Heynow, at least you didn't beat that thing on the 2600 years after everyone had moved onto Mario(of the Super variety), sit there absolutely gobsmacked that you'd done it with no idea how you'd gotten the mechanics right, and then realize: wait - that's it? That ending was my reward? I'm... I'm going to go outside and throw rocks at trees.

shadowplay and Hygro like this.
  9. BvBPL

BvBPL Pour Decision Maker

Minority men are more likely to identify as gamers than white men.

10. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

Really? That's news to me. I don't doubt the accuracy, but I do appreciate a new bit of trivia. Thanks.
    Huh? "I have a wife" is the "gender-version" of "I have a black friend"? Is that what you mean? If so, why/how? I'm confused :confused:... I'm probably overthinking it.

EDIT: I went back and looked. I talked about my wife playing smartphone games but not considering herself a gamer as anecdotal evidence of what you said about the smartphone market accounting for the increase in female gaming, along with the chart (BVBPL posted?) showing that female gamers are less likely to self identify as gamers.

The "I have a black friend" thing, refers to when someone says/does/thinks something racially prejudiced/offensive about/towards black people and then claims that their position can't possibly be racially prejudiced/biased because they have a black friend... implying that a person who harbored racial prejudice towards blacks would never be able to befriend black people... which is of course, false. Is that how you saw my comment about my wife? Or did you confuse what "I have a black friend" means?

11. Ryika

No, you're not overthinking it, what I wrote there just doesn't make sense. Seems like my brain just went offline for a minute or so while making that post, which is why I used "I have a black friend", which is a catchphrase that is followed by "therefor I can't be racist", but of course what I was actually thinking about was "My black friend disagrees with this.", which is a catchphrase people use when they want to dispute that a majority of people in the black community (or whatever it's used for) agree with a statement because they know one person who doesn't.

Of course that doesn't make sense in this context either, because what you said wasn't even opposite to the thing I had written, so yeah... that part was an utterly misguided brainfart.

Hygro and Sommerswerd like this.
  12. Bill3000

Bill3000 OOOH NOOOOOOO! Supporter

Nah. The first remark was flippant and just a emotive response for my lack of sympathy towards him. It wasn't intended to be a serious claim. My only serious claim was the one that as a group, male gamers are misogynistic.

My argument is more like this:

Individuals enact larger cultural patterns. For example, let's assume that someone is a white middle-class person. That person will uphold the racist and classist power structure in unconscious or unintentional ways that they will never fully comprehend - they act in racist or classist ways, or are complicit in racism and classism without meaning to do it.

When I say that male gamers as a group are misogynistic, what I mean is that that male gamers on the internet act in sexist ways in the institutional sense. By this I mean that they act in ways which whether consciously or unconsciously promote sexism. Doing this does not make someone a bad person. It's not a judgement of them personally. It's not unique to them as a group; all men do this. It just means that they're wrapped up in an unjust system.

It takes conscious effort to get over this because aversive discrimination can happen even if one holds egalitarian beliefs.

Is that clear?

GoodEnoughForMe likes this.
  13. trader/warrior

trader/warrior Deity

Well, I only did a quick google search as I have never heard of Chris Ray Gun before, but I didn't find anything to suggest he is a gamer at all (just based on the name I would assume he is more a right-wing fan of reagan).

Are white male young middle class gamers more racist than the middle class (or any combination of the aforementioned) in general? The impression I get from the internet is clearly yes, but the impression from my own experiences would be a clear no due to the sheer inclusivity and diversiveness of the hobby, as compared to places like trade-school where young male non-gamers had some of the most horrid far-right racist views I have ever encountered.

14. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

Very clear.
    It could be rephrased in a much less verbose way though :

"Your tastes differ from those I assign to women and blacks. As such, your tastes influence the market in directions that aren't those that I assign to women and blacks, and as such it makes said tastes racist and sexist. Which means, you're indirectly racist and sexist. Please stop having tastes different from those I promote, thanks. Also notice you're a bigot, even if you don't realize it."

Are you a double login of Lexicus or is it contagious ?

---

Maybe it's just that video games are leisure, and while people might be emotionally blackmailed about their privilege and general injustice in "serious" issues like work or the judiciary, they feel less restrained to flip the bird at the PC thought police when it invades their past-time.

15. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Mansplaining Fool

I love how there's just no quarter given for any variation here at all. It's not that they could uphold etc etc, or even that they likely will. No, they just will. They will, and they won't ever even be able to comprehend the concept. All white middle class people are by definition racist, without exception, and absolutely none of them will ever be aware of it, without exception. And yet somehow everyone online seems to think they're the chosen ones who can "see the truth". Bollocks.

Narz likes this.
  16. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

Something amusing : the most brainwashed SJW, who basically throw all the evils of the world on the Straight White Male (boooh !), tend to BE straight white males themselves. I always wonder if it's self-hate, or an attempt to lower the whole group so they can make their own self-proclaimed Tolerance shines brighter in comparison to the non-enlightened masses of their misguided brethrens.

Narz likes this.
  17. Ryika

Well, that's... good... I guess?

No, now you're just trying to weasel yourself out of the statements you made earlier. Even if I grant you that institutional sexism and racism are so ingrained in our systems that people cannot help but to act in ways that promote them, none of that in any way elevates of the statement you made earlier:

That statement is clearly a dismissive attack on a group of people purely on the prejudice you have against them. Nothing about ingrained biases that they can't do anything about, nothing about them not being bad people because of these biases. Just a personal attack you made against them based on their identity.

18. Bill3000

Bill3000 OOOH NOOOOOOO! Supporter

Which is why I said that I realized that post wasn't persuasive and is something that I would've been turned off from. I apologize.

19. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Mansplaining Fool

Seems you entirely stand by it in principle though. The only bad thing you see in it is that it doesn't help you further your own cause.

Ryika likes this.
  20. Gigaz

Gigaz civoholic

SJW's don't complain about random stuff, but insteat actually try to change the world for the better. They don't care and they take upon them the evils of the world if its necessary. I think that's kind of manly. When will the Anti-SWJ croud do something that is not self-serving? Do those people actually believe that we live in the best possible world, or are they just too complacent to figure out whats wrong with the world and try to make a change?