1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Popular Feminist Takes 'The Red Pill' : Beds White Supremacist

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by RomanKing, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

"Your criticism is censorship, my criticism is free speech" Heard that one before. The charge of hypocrisy alongside is ironic though.

GenMarshall, Lexicus and Bill3000 like this.
  2. Thorgalaeg

Thorgalaeg Deity

^Exactly.

3. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

With this thread essentially being done, Im just really happy to know that there are 30-somethings with families and children and all that beautiful stuff that waste their free time watching the hottest garbage on YouTube.

Makes me feel a lot better about being a 20-something watching videos about cantonese shadow puppet theatre and lizard-related conspiracies on YouTube.

schlaufuchs and shadowplay like this.
  4. Bill3000

Bill3000 OOOH NOOOOOOO! Supporter

Humor me. There's a point I'm trying to make with regards to your reply, and I'm not going to think less of you if you don't remember what the principle of charity is.

I'm under no obligation to reply to you or anyone. I have a limited amount of mental energy. I have no relationship with you. I gain nothing because it is currently impossible to reach a dialogue. There's no trust.

5. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

From the post you're answering :

The difference being, you will have a hard time finding me advocating for censorship of differing opinions and preventing people from expressing themselves, while there is numerous cases of people being blocked from making speech, harassed for what they said, lobbied for being fired and so on.

That's LITERALLY the first line. You manage to purposedly (it's just not possible to miss it genuinely) and completely dodge the entire point and double on attempting to mock the charge of hypocrisy. Wow.
    Just wow.

If we needed any more proof of dishonest behaviour...

bernie14 and Ryika like this.
  6. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd Rest in Peace Black Panther

Some perspective on that... Imagine a guy with a house with a large immaculately landscaped lawn, complete with manicured shrubs, flowers, garden, etc. When he comes in from cutting the grass and gets on Youtube to relax a bit... would you tell him "Look at that beautiful yard you have! You're wasting time that could be spent weeding the garden"?

A beautiful family is not something that you just "have". A beautiful family is something that you create and maintain, through arduous, diligent, vigilant, repetitive, labour and more labour, and more labour after that. You literally forge it from blood, sweat and tears... oh and poop, lots of poop, and don't forget the vomit, lots of that too. So from the perspective of "30-somethings with families and children and all that beautiful stuff", hearing a 20-something without "families and children and all that beautiful stuff" talk about them "wasting time on Youtube just like me!" is a eye-rolling-head-shaker. A beautiful family is hard work, and "wasting time on Youtube" is just one way of taking a well earned break. I was 20-something with no kids once. Life in general was a break, especially in college. I didn't realize it then, but I realize it now.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    bernie14 likes this.
  7. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

Nah Akka, I just think you're guilty of hypocrisy when you yourself make distinctions about who is allowed to criticise what.

8. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

Where did I ever said that anyone is unallowed to criticize anything ?

9. BvBPL

BvBPL Pour Decision Maker

What a waste of time. Thai shadow puppet theater is where it's at.

There’s a lot more character in the Thai lace than in the Chinese puppetry.

yung.carl.jung likes this.
  10. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

Well, from memory, charity is something you do for or give to someone because you feel empathy for them out of a negative aspect in their situation.
    Wut ?

11. bernie14

bernie14 Filter Manipulator

.....Wut ?

SafeSpaceSpeak

12. Ammar

Ammar King

Eh, I think it is ok to call out people on who they associate with by their own free will (especially something as important as a significant other). Of course, calling them out should not grow to doxxing or harrassment, so clearly the people took it to far.

On the other hand a equally prominent feminist who would have made a video about why she would not date someone from the alt-right and why she still considers feminism relevant and important would probably have their inbox full of death and rape threats by now...

13. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

Pretty naive to think that she didn't get death threats for the moves she made.

14. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

I see you did not understand the intent of the post. There is nothing wrong with relaxing, taking that "well earned break", obviously family is a lot of work, and hard one at that. I did not need to br schooled by you :) Growing up my best friend became a dad at the mere age of 16 1/2, my sister is now going to be a mother at 20. I am very much happy that I still have tons of leasure time, its a privilege I would not give up for anything in the world.

Personally I feel bad for spending too much time on YouTube, social media and forums in general, even though it is probably less than the average 20-something. It genuinely feels good to know that there are other adults out there who make content/support content and do so with pride. I think there is still, to some degree, a stigma attached to being old and being a YouTuber, being old and watching Lets Plays, and being old and being a "gamer". To be fair, things have been improving vastly and the image of a "gamer" has shifted from the classic nerd to something much more complex-

Tell me Im projecting right now, but if at the next family meeting I stepped up and said "Im quitting college, I want to be a professional YouTuber", mouths would drop to the floor.

Though there was some malicious intent in my post, its just utterly hilarious to me imagining a full-blown serious dad laughing about "how stupid SJWs are", or watching some teen-age YouTube drama channel like Leafy, or shopping hauls, or make up videos, or the latest facebook meme collection. Its trashy, unfunny Dreck catered to entertain highschoolers. Its like catching your literature professor on the sub reading 50 Shades. There is nothing inherently wrong with it, but it still makes me cringe.

15. Bill3000

Bill3000 OOOH NOOOOOOO! Supporter

Okay, maybe you haven't heard of the principle of charity then; I'm not referring to the virtue or action of charity. That's understandable; maybe you haven't taken a critical thinking course in undergrad. It's a rhetorical concept where one interprets a speaker's statements to be rational, and, in the case of an argument, considering its best and strongest interpretation. The goal of this is to avoid accusing irrationality, logical fallacies or falsehoods to another's statements. This is so that we don't disregard the rhetoric of others simply because there are some weaknesses in their argument structure. We can go beyond what the other person says in their argument and look more closely at whether evidence supports their point of view or not. By using this principle, we can avoid making strawmen and completely useless argumentation.

Now my question is this: Do you think you offered the best possible interpretation of my post? If not, do you think we might have a more constructive dialogue if you did?

It's different talking to an anonymous stranger on the internet for which I know nothing about and have no respect for, compared to people who I know for a fact actually know the stuff they are talking about. It's different talking to labor, sociology, history, philosophy, math, entomology, climatology, physics, or chemistry PhD grad students or professionals with whom I have interpersonal relationships with, know are experts in their fields and are well-read, and I know are on my level even if we disagree about things politically. There is absolutely no need for me to talk to you if I want to.

16. Ammar

Ammar King

People usually post the most ugly messages, as this helps them making their point about how bad the other side is. That there were no death threats on the first page is a very good indicator that there weren't any or not many.

This being said, if a matter generates enough controversy there will be threats. It is still naive (to use your term) to belief that the left uses them with anything near the same frequency and ugliness as the right (not even the far right). The tweets from the Gamergate crowd are a perfect example.

17. Ryika

You'd be hard-pressed to find a high amount of death threats anywhere. Even people who got the most abuse during Gamergate (people like Brianna Wu) don't have pages upon pages to show for, because there's like... one death threat in 1000 tweets that at worst are abusive, and at best are people making their disagreement heard.

Well, with the exception of the part where you claim Gamergate was a right-wing crowd I tend to agree with this, the right definitely has a higher tendency towards abusive slurs than the left.

18. Ammar

Ammar King

This is actually hard to tell, since most people do not bother to count them (nor would I). I think there is a larger number than we would like. If I google "anita sarkeesian death threats" images, then I find a disturbing number of different ones. Even so, it is hard to tell how many people are behind it, as many of the worst abuser use lots of accounts for sending threats.

With emphasis on the abusive. I am not talking about simple insults, that are neutral, or even about racially or misogynistic slurs (which are also used with a higher frequency) but about actual threats of murder and rape. As a counterexample from the left, PZ Myers is pretty far left, and he uses a lot of normal insults and "colorful language" (which I am fine with).

19. civver_764

civver_764 Deity

I suspect that most of the people sending death and rape threats are just 12 year old internet trolls.

20. Ryika

Of course you do find tons of different death threats, Sarkeesian has played people like a fiddle and was the center of attention for ages, plus, she benefits greatly from making these threats public.

This is nowhere near the level of controversial, and Laci isn't even trying to get anybody to be offended, she's just looking for dialog with people who she generally disagrees with, and people are still freaking out. If she were just making a video saying: "why she would not date someone from the alt-right and why she still considers feminism relevant and important", the controversy would be of low interest as well.

And btw, that idea that she might have denounced feminism that seems to be hinted at in that part is false, too. She very much said that she still considers feminism relevant and important, and is still heavily in open discussion with many feminists on twitter. She didn't really change much about her position at all, other than coming out against the stupid "The other side are all fascists!"-crowd and now being more open for hopefully honest dialog.

Not quite on topic, but PZ Myers is a piece of garbage best known for publicizing unverified rape accusations against a fellow atheist Michael Shermer that were sent to him anonymously, and taking them at face value. Thankfully, he has faded into utter irrelevancy these days.