Population and morale - hidden game mecanis?

Mr Spice

Emperor
I just recently bought Galciv 2 and have encountered something that I wanted to ask you guys about.

* Some of my colonies have about 15-17 billion inhabitants, approval rating 100% and a Counter Espionage Center.

* Some colonies have 22 billion inhabitants. Approval rating 62%. Counter Espionage Center. 1-2 Virtual Reality Centers (some built on tiles with morale bonus and some not).

* One of my colonies has 24,65 billion inhabitants. Approval rating 49%. It has 9 Virtual Reality Centers, a Galatctic Resort and a Counter Espionage Center.

Above 21 billion inhabitants, the approval rating drops radically. There seems to be nothing I can do about it. Adding morale improvements has almost no effect at all. Earlier in the game this was not the case. Then morale improvements had a noticable effect. Now they don´t.

Why? Does anyone know? Is there some kind of hidden game mecanics to prevent someone´s population from growing too high, for balance reasons? Is the Virtual Reality Center broken? Or is it something else?

I find this frustrating since it means I can´t use the most advanced farms. The initial colony and one Advanced Xeno Farm gives a population cap of 15 billion. One more farm gives room for 22 billion inhabitants. That´s about as much population as my colonies can hold, regardless of how many morale improvements I use. And I already have two morale reasorces that are heavily mined...

One of my colonies has a tile with 300% farming bonus. Building an Advanced Xeno Farm on that tile gives the colony a population cap of 36 billion inhabitants. There´s no way for me to use that bonus. The colony now has 23,8 billion inhabitants. Approval rating 44%. Four Virtual Reality Centers, a Counter Espionage Center and the Secret Police. Adding more Virtual Reality Centers doesn´t help. The only way for me to save that colony is not to use the farming bonus - and that seems rather weird.

I am playing Galciv 2.0, the Twilight of the Arnor expansion.

It's a well known fact that your moral plummets at 21 billion pop. There's nothing you can do about it, as you have figured out. But what I will recomend doing is clicking on "old structures" or something like that at the top of the build menu. You'll be able to get you pop. as close to 21 billion without going over by using obsolete farms.

Ok, thanks for the advice. :)

also, bear it in mind when settling new planets that the FOOD production bonus tiles are near useless. in fact ... very very near useless.

Top Bottom