[NFP] Portugal Developer Livestream Discussion

In addition, according to livestream, Joao III's agenda will be - he likes civs that done a lot of exploration, and dislike those who stay in their place.

Considering the fact that (good) human players usually put a lot of emphasis on exploration, it seems Joao will be a friendly neighbor for the most of the time.

In addition, according to livestream, Joao III's agenda will be - he likes civs that done a lot of exploration, and dislike those who stay in their place.

Considering the fact that (good) human players usually put a lot of emphasis on exploration, it seems he will be a friendly neighbor for the most of the time.
It is only a front, to disguise his true purposes... :devil: Also, we already knew this from Ed Beach's tweet.

Are we still unclear about who (Portugal or the civ/city state) is able to repair the feitoria if its' pillaged? I REALLY hope it's Portugal-even with it's a builder...just finished a game where vatican city refused to repair a pillaged rice paddy for 3000 years...so I don't want to be trusting the AI builders to do anything XD

Zombies looks...yeah like I expected it to be. Just like secret societies and apocalypse, I just can't get behind having these fantastical things in my civ game. I'm borderline with heroes as it does make some sense and the heroes are all largely important cultural figures but zombies and vampires belong in a spinoff-which actually might be a great idea! Better then shoehorning them into Civ anywho...

Zombies looks...yeah like I expected it to be. Just like secret societies and apocalypse, I just can't get behind having these fantastical things in my civ game. I'm borderline with heroes as it does make some sense and the heroes are all largely important cultural figures but zombies and vampires belong in a spinoff-which actually might be a great idea! Better then shoehorning them into Civ anywho...
I really like the zombie concept but I think it should not come with Portugal but instead come with Haiti or Dahomey. Because Zumbis and Voodoo are very linked

Are we still unclear about who (Portugal or the civ/city state) is able to repair the feitoria if its' pillaged? I REALLY hope it's Portugal-even with it's a builder...just finished a game where vatican city refused to repair a pillaged rice paddy for 3000 years...so I don't want to be trusting the AI builders to do anything XD

At least in a CS I don't expect it to be a problem - I often help CSs by repairing improvements on their territory. I think it is unlikely that the Feitoria makes an exception here.

I really like the zombie concept but I think it should not come with Portugal but instead come with Haiti or Dahomey. Because Zumbis and Voodoo are very linked
This actually seems true if you take a little glance at the packs, but Vietnam comes with Corporations and Ethiopia comes with Secret Societies. What do those have to do with each other?

This actually seems true if you take a little glance at the packs, but Vietnam comes with Corporations and Ethiopia comes with Secret Societies. What do those have to do with each other?
Kublai Khan was a great merchant too. make sense come with corporations. And Ethiopian.... hnm are secret? hahahha maybe you are right this time:lol:

Kublai Khan was a great merchant too. make sense come with corporations. And Ethiopian.... hnm are secret? hahahha maybe you are right this time:lol:
It could make sense if you excluded Ethiopia, though. Mayans predicted the end of the world, Byzantium was pretty much the description of Dramatic Ages, and Babylon had some great Heroes of legend.

It is Mogadishu.

The east coast of Africa needed some more love. Zanzibar is there, but it needed a little MORE love. Here, it's meant to represent the medieval Somali sultanates, not the present-day state.
It works either way. :lol:

It is Mogadishu.

The east coast of Africa needed some more love. Zanzibar is there, but it needed a little MORE love. Here, it's meant to represent the medieval Somali sultanates, not the present-day state.

Good to hear! I've always wanted more east african coast representation and if we're not getting a full on Swahili civ, then a Mogadishu (Mombasa would have also worked) city state is the next best thing! Kilwa being in the game as a wonder also helps

I'm starting to think you cannot build Feitorias on unrevealed Oil, the game just won't let you. Just like how Maui is prevented on using his ability on certain innocuous tiles, which will let you know those tiles have unrevealed strategic resources.

Not only that, but if Portugal can build Feitorias on Oil within my territory without that granting Oil to me once it is revealed, then I have zero incentive to allow him to build anything at all. This will make a difference in multiplayer. So I hope it works like you say.

Depth the AI will happily drown in... :(

Seriously, I expect this mode to be the one overstraining the AI to the greatest extend. They may fail (partly) in using the benefits of Heroes, Secret Socities or Industries/Corporations and they can't take back what they lose in the Dramatic Age one...but that one sounds like the ultimate doom scenario for the AI: A snowballing Zombie mechanic paired with some sneaky tools to use them as an offensive weapon - and UIs further cementing the defender advantage in war between civs. Call me a pessimist, but I doubt the AI was improved that much to be able to cope with that.

I disagree, I think this might be much easier to handle than Heroes and even Societies.

By handle I mean in terms of the amount of decisions available to the AI, which are more limited. Snowballing Zombies will probably still obliterate any AI Civ without adequate defences.

Good to hear! I've always wanted more east african coast representation and if we're not getting a full on Swahili civ, then a Mogadishu (Mombasa would have also worked) city state is the next best thing! Kilwa being in the game as a wonder also helps
Don't forget Antananviro-wait, does that count?

Mod this into base game, please.

Yes. And also the change of forts and fort-like special improvements.
However, please don’t make them act as traps, but also as barricades. Really, they should shoot at enemies adjacent to them rather than damage units already occupying the tile itself!
Actually, I wanted forts to feature this game mechanic since day one!

(Or is there, by any chance, already a mod for this? And if not ... will there, following this update?)

Last edited:
As a followup, I wonder if that means that you may have trouble building domestic trade routes if there's a gap between your cities.
Domestic trade routes operate as normal for Portugal.

How do we know it's Mogadishu?
They clarified in the livestream, think one of the devs tweeted at them lol.

Are we still unclear about who (Portugal or the civ/city state) is able to repair the feitoria if its' pillaged?
It's the owner so the CS or Civ NOT Portugal - basically you are building a tile improvement for someone else.

They said the patch is released at noon EST but the USA is in EDT now (4 hours behind GMT) hence the confusion over when the stream was starting today! @charrison @Andrew Johnson [FXS] - can we get a definitive time please :)

For that person who was wondering, Feitorias can be built on cliffs
That was me. Thanks!

The livestream hits my timezone at 5 AM on the day after, so I'm always late to the discussions afterwards. Civ is fun and all, but I'm not gonna watch a livestream at 5am to prove it : )

Top Bottom