[NFP] Portugal Developer Livestream Discussion

I was listening to the stream, and I thought that they started to say it could be built on oil, but changed quickly to that it probably couldn't, and if you find that you can't build it on a given tile it is a suggestion that oil may be there.

Edit: Yes, a bit less than 30 minutes in, @charrison said he does not think they can, after Pete guessed they could. Pete then alluded to finding oil by not being able to place them.

Last edited:
This actually seems true if you take a little glance at the packs, but Vietnam comes with Corporations and Ethiopia comes with Secret Societies. What do those have to do with each other?
Kublai is also in the pack and well luxuries=Silk Road.

Ethiopia's unique improvement is the Rock-Hewn Church which is basically an underground church. Underground Church=Secret Society. :)

Anyway the most interesting thing I found out is that if Portugal captures a city with a Feitoria then the feitoria is destroyed. :crazyeye:
I guess they prepared for the inevitable possibility of buffed domestic trade routes.

Also can't wait to find Mogadishu and ally myself with the pirates, I mean the Medieval Sultanate, to protect my naval traders. :mischief:

Kublai is also in the pack and well luxuries=Silk Road.

Ethiopia's unique improvement is the Rock-Hewn Church which is basically an underground church. Underground Church=Secret Society. :)
I concede over the January Pack, but I feel as if you're stretching with Ethiopia. :lol: (I can tell it's a joke.)

It's fitting that Lisbon's ability, presumably coming from the Portuguese protection racket in the Indian Ocean (often from themselves in typical mob fashion), is inherited this way.

This actually seems true if you take a little glance at the packs, but Vietnam comes with Corporations and Ethiopia comes with Secret Societies. What do those have to do with each other?
The January pack is a direct reference to the Capitalist states of Vietnam and China. I don't know why people fail to see such connections.

The January pack is a direct reference to the Capitalist states of Vietnam and China. I don't know why people fail to see such connections.
I understand now, at least three including you have explained it already. :p

Just Portugal don't have correlactions with Zombies. Portugal should come with pirate/globalizations extras not zombies.

Just Portugal don't have correlactions with Zombies. Portugal should come with pirate/globalizations extras not zombies.
Uhmm, Porto is totally where the zombie outbreak started. That's, like, basic grade school history. "In 2083, Porto let the zombies free".

Wait, what year is this? Nevermind.

Last edited:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zumbi
I talked about it in the other thread about zombies. The fact that the English word 'zombie" came from Zumbi, the Afro-Brazilian leader when Brazil was a colony of Portugal, to me is considered a correlation.
I agree that something like pirates/globalization would be easier to link, but to say it doesn't work isn't entirely inaccurate. I expect a mention about this in the civilopedia.

I'm a bit ambivalent to the zombie mode, to be honest. I might try the mode out at some point, but I'll get a few games as Portugal under my belt first.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zumbi
I talked about it in the other thread about zombies. The fact that the English word 'zombie" came from Zumbi, the Afro-Brazilian leader when Brazil was a colony of Portugal, to me is considered a correlation.
I agree that something like pirates/globalization would be easier to link, but to say it doesn't work isn't entirely inaccurate. I expect a mention about this in the civilopedia.
That is right, there was in Brazil a Black heroe called Zumbi, but the world Zumbi come from Bantu language and means "who never dies". Would be best if this Zumbi mode come with this brazilian heroe as leader of civilization of Palmares, should be amazing. But unfortunelly very inpropable that happens

The end of the stream has a different theme for Portugal. Do you think it will be part of Portugal's ambient themes? It's nice and lighter in tone than the main one.

It was also at the start and, indeed sounded like a more cheerful ambient theme.

Zombies look awesome. The best bit is that the Zombie Mode probably now makes Apocalypse Mode feel more complete and playable. Zombies and Comets every game? Nah. Zombies and Comets for a few games? Oh God yes, it’ll be a blast!

Portugal look pretty meaty too. I’m interested to see the balance changes to Civs in the April update, and then I think I’ll have some fun flipping between some Portugal and Spain games focused on gold and faith.

The Portugal civilization would make better sense with the Pirates: the Golden Age of Piracy scenario, instead of the Zombie Defense game mode. Well "better sense": Portugal is not part of the 4 colonial powers since they didn't really set in the caribbean. I guess it is "better sense" in a sense it is a less "worse sense"?

Zombie came from the West African Vodun, a distrinct fom of the traditional African religion mostly in Benin, Togo (and part of Ghana and Nigeria). Due to the African diaspora in America, other countries like Cuba (Vodú), Dominica (Vudú) but mostly Haiti (Vodou) are praticing to some degree the same religion. And to some extinct: in Brazil (Vodum) and the USA (Voodoo).

It is quite a missed opportunity for the inclusion of Benin or Haiti. Before being exposed to some US-american pop-culture media, for me a Zombie was mostly an Undead servant (like a Civilization V's worker!) than a slow-moving never-ending horde of brain eating diseased people.

Zombie mode looks a little more interesting than I first thought. I actually look forward to it, and will play it with my first Portugal game.

Question: Is there a top level cap for zombie strength? If not, this could get really out of hand LOL. Might have to just nuke them, which could create many more. Nuking zombies is always a good thing of course. Time to prepare the nukes.

Question: Is there a top level cap for zombie strength? If not, this could get really out of hand LOL.

GDRs v Zombies.

We learned this was not gonna stop. This was just the beginning. We needed a new weapon. The world came together, pooling it's resources and throwing aside old rivalries for the sake of the greater good. To fight monsters, we created monsters of our own. The Jaeger program was born.

*long guitar riff * *bada-bah Bada-dah dah dah, dada dah dah dah*

Top Bottom