[NFP] Portugal Developer Livestream Discussion

I was listening to the stream, and I thought that they started to say it could be built on oil, but changed quickly to that it probably couldn't, and if you find that you can't build it on a given tile it is a suggestion that oil may be there.

Would unrevealed shipwrecks also block building feitorias?

I'm trying to remember if there are any other hidden features in water that become visible as you play.

The Portugal civilization would make better sense with the Pirates: the Golden Age of Piracy scenario, instead of the Zombie Defense game mode. Well "better sense": Portugal is not part of the 4 colonial powers since they didn't really set in the caribbean. I guess it is "better sense" in a sense it is a less "worse sense"?

Zombie came from the West African Vodun, a distrinct fom of the traditional African religion mostly in Benin, Togo (and part of Ghana and Nigeria). Due to the African diaspora in America, other countries like Cuba (Vodú), Dominica (Vudú) but mostly Haiti (Vodou) are praticing to some degree the same religion. And to some extinct: in Brazil (Vodum) and the USA (Voodoo).

It is quite a missed opportunity for the inclusion of Benin or Haiti. Before being exposed to some US-american pop-culture media, for me a Zombie was mostly an Undead servant (like a Civilization V's worker!) than a slow-moving never-ending horde of brain eating diseased people.
I think exactly the same, zombies should come with Haiti or Dahomey.
They need to do more one season in order to include theses civilizations

"Zhelau"--okay, that's giving SB's pronunciation of Jayavarman a run for its money in "How did you get that?" :p

"Zhelau"--okay, that's giving SB's pronunciation of Jayavarman a run for its money in "How did you get that?" :p
Oh, no...

Can anyone confirm if the Trade Routes receive 50% more Faith? Cuz the stream yesterday clearly showed that was bugged.
Same thing in the Reveal Video. Guess that's something for April if it isn't fixed.

Just out of curiosity, how is Joao supposed to be pronounced? I haven't the foggiest idea how to speak/pronounce Portuguese, so my instinct is to say "jow," but I'm sure I'm butchering it.

Just out of curiosity, how is Joao supposed to be pronounced? I haven't the foggiest idea how to speak/pronounce Portuguese, so my instinct is to say "jow," but I'm sure I'm butchering it.
/ʒwãw͂/ -- "zhwaw" where the "aw" is nasalized.

/ʒwãw͂/ -- "zhwaw" where the "aw" is nasalized.
So it rhymes with flaw? I'm not sure I know how to nasalize something. I took Spanish in High School, so I tend to revert to its pronunciation for foreign words. Other than that, I have a mild Boston Accent (I don't pronounce my ahs).

Is this accurate Portuguese? And what do you all think of his animations?

So it rhymes with flaw? I'm not sure I know how to nasalize something. I took Spanish in High School, so I tend to revert to its pronunciation for foreign words. Other than that, I have a mild Boston Accent (I don't pronounce my ahs).

It comes off the tongue more. flo-OW (Like the sound you make when stubbing your toe) would rhyme with it...just add in a Zh/J sound. My Brazillian friend is named Joao and I call him JO-OW and he's fine with it. Him and his dad (Also Joao lol) pronounce the J slightly differently (More of a Zh as I've said) but it's not too different-he's even conceited among us that's close enough for a non-Portuguese speaker. But I also know Brazillian Portuguese is different and I don't speak Portuguese so...

Is this accurate Portuguese? And what do you all think of his animations?
Do note that we try to get historically accurate dialects. If someone thinks its sounds funny, well, it would be like hearing something between Chaucer and Shakespeare in English. (Naturally we can't do this for all languages, as I discussed re: Trieu).

It comes off the tongue more. flo-OW (Like the sound you make when stubbing your toe) would rhyme with it...just add in a Zh/J sound. My Brazillian friend is named Joao and I call him JO-OW and he's fine with it. Him and his dad (Also Joao lol) pronounce the J slightly differently (More of a Zh as I've said) but it's not too different-he's even conceited among us that's close enough for a non-Portuguese speaker. But I also know Brazillian Portuguese is different and I don't speak Portuguese so...
So my original "jow" wasn't too far off, I was just pronouncing the "J" wrong. Of course I now realize that I should have mentioned I was pronouncing "jow" to rhyme with "cow" not "flow." Ironically, I recently discovered I was pronouncing Drow wrong my whole life too, and it wasn't until I saw it rhymed with cow that I realized how it was supposed to be.

Edit: It's pronounced like the first half of Deng Xiaoping's last name

Edit: It's pronounced like the first half of Deng Xiaoping's last name
Very similar, yes. Just voice the first consonant.

Do note that we try to get historically accurate dialects. If someone thinks its sounds funny, well, it would be like hearing something between Chaucer and Shakespeare in English. (Naturally we can't do this for all languages, as I discussed re: Trieu).

Yep, some of the forms in which the verb is conjugated are a bit archaic and you won't find it in contemporary common or formal speech. I'd expect to find it in a play or period piece, also possibly the bible. It's awesome that these details are taken into consideration when building a character.

Edit: To be clear, the form does exist in modern Portuguese, it's just not really used. If someone did, I'd assume I was being mocked.

Last edited:
Top Bottom