Portugal Discussion

That's a shame. IMO, both the good and the bad need to be taught at school in order to understand it in the future.

The Netherlands has still some overseas territories, a couple of islands formerly known as the Dutch Antilles but the idea is that they will eventually become independent.

It is not always cool when it comes to colonial history, actually there aren't even any history lessons about it in school. There still seems to be some sort of taboo on it, the prosperity of the country during the golden age was usually at the disadvantage of those being colonized and people prefer to leave the dirtier parts of a nations history out. And for populist politicians it is always easy to point the finger at the 'colonizer' when something bad happens or the life standards are unequal, there is for example a lot of finger pointing, sometimes even hatred coming from Çuracao directed towards the Netherlands.

The really sad thing is that when said colonies are in dire need for money, they are more then eager to hold their hands up immediately, and they balk when our politicians try to cut on funding for them...

Aye. Fortunately those who have become independent such as Indonesia and Suriname seem to be faring well, or at least are able to stand straight on their feet and develop their country. Mainly Çuracao is sometimes just a pain in the bottom. You don't want to abandon them as they would just slip into chaos, but with the crap that we sometimes get in return from them...
I just hope that they will be able to reform and develop quickly, so that they can become independent. Seems to be much better for the islands and the Netherlands.

That's a shame. IMO, both the good and the bad need to be taught at school in order to understand it in the future.
Couldn't agree more. But it is also politically sensitive (it fits better on your CV when you are responsible for some reforms in education, than for writing your country down as the bad guy) so I do not expect this situation to change. But history lessons are of very poor quality anyway, I recall getting lessons about the kingdom of Mali but they just skipped the whole 20th century. That is just stupid and extremely dangerous.

i like the idea of the Nau/Feitoria combination. It seems very historical and immersive. My only concern is that wouldn't you need to bring workers with your fleets to build those improvements in foreign city states? That could be a little wonky.

As for Maria, I'm no expert but from her wiki she doesn't seem like a great choice, it's a pretty obvious "we need more female leaders" type of thing.

Why wonky to have to work for the benefit? It's a strategy game.

But anyways, seems like you have to border the City State. If not this ability would be far too powerfull.

Probably not, or else the improvement would be far too dependable to the amount of CS close by.

There are dependencies involved on every UA, its not supposed to be perfect straight off at the start of every game. Have you seen the Celts?

I don't know how it works, but it sounds very cool. :goodjob: Whether it is all city states or just bordering city states, both helps.

So many times i've seen a second or third city spot that could have 2+ luxuries and then the next turn they've been sucked up by city states. Now who will have the last laugh... :lol:

But anyways, seems like you have to border the City State. If not this ability would be far too powerfull.

that doesn't seem right, do you have a source? Portugal is all about having colonies all over the place, not right next door.

and the nau is a one time lump sum of gold. How OP this is depends entirely on that amount of gold, which we don't know yet.

1) We haven't seen a real in-game description of a Feitoria to know what its restrictions truly are.

2) We did see footage of a Nau using its Exotic Goods ability in a video (Curse, I think). It was fairly close to Portuguese borders when this happened. It gained 68g and 6xp. Supposedly this increases with distance from Lisbon.

I´ve just now notice that Portugal will be included in the next expansion. I'm quite happy with that, I'm portuguese. Guess now I will have to buy "Brave New World", haven't been playing civ 5 much lately.

I will miss Joãos hat :(

:D

By the way the leader background seems to be the Algarve cliffs in the sunset and the building might be the Pena Palace, I would just replace the cliffs with the view of the Lisbon harbour with the Belem Tower, that Palace is built on a hill which can really have a view of the capital and the harbour.

I will miss Joãos hat :(

:D

By the way the leader background seems to be the Algarve cliffs in the sunset and the building might be the Pena Palace, I would just replace the cliffs with the view of the Lisbon harbour with the Belem Tower, that Palace is built on a hill which can have a view of the capital and the harbour in reality.

What do you mean?

Maria I has João II's hat.

:lol: not bad, fits her perfectly she's better with a hat, and besides too much sun can do harm so a hat like that will protect her from the heat.

The hat really accentuates her corpse-like skin.

The above picture shows that you can have your cake and eat it too! :lol:

Portugal definitely seems like a potent civ, I like it.

Just imagine, if a Nau earned 68 gold and 6 XP for selling to a city-state a few hexes away from Portugal, how much would they earn from selling to a city-state on the other side of the world?

Feitorias are also powerful and, very importantly, synergize with Portugal's UA. The only thing that keeps them from being outright OP is the possibility of other civs pillaging them. This would require the other civ to declare war on the CS, but that may be worth it to harass and hinder Portugal if you are playing against them. Speaking of which, the feitoria doesn't prevent other improvements from being built on the tile, does it? If not, then there's no reason for the CS itself to remove it.

What do you mean?
*sinp*

Maria I has João II's hat.

:lol: Oh, wow, that's golden!
Bonus points for editing the shadow too!! :p :lol:

Feitorias are also powerful and, very importantly, synergize with Portugal's UA. The only thing that keeps them from being outright OP is the possibility of other civs pillaging them. This would require the other civ to declare war on the CS, but that may be worth it to harass and hinder Portugal if you are playing against them. Speaking of which, the feitoria doesn't prevent other improvements from being built on the tile, does it? If not, then there's no reason for the CS itself to remove it.

I doubt they would allow two improvements on the same tile, so it is very likely that the Feitoria will take up space that could be used by the city state. I do hope, however, that they won't go pillaging it at every opportunity - that'd get annoying fast. :sad:

I can tolerate if they pillaging the Feitoria only when Portugal has negative influence with them (and thus they are annoyed/angry/at war), but pillaging for any reason whatsoever would get annoying really fast, specially since in many cases they are an ocean apart, and thus we'd have to travel the worker all the way out there AGAIN to build the Feitoria AGAIN. Either that or leave some worker and a military unit (a Nau, perhaps? :p) forever in the ocean by the city state so it can repair it quickly, but the maintenance cost on those would quickly add up...

Speaking of maintenance, does the Feitoria have a maintenance cost? It would make sense, and would help the (most probable) Feitoria spam, and it is a rather powerful UI after all...

I wonder how they will figure out the feitora bonus when one are allies. getting two copies of gems doesn't help you at all,since you can't sell a resource from a cs. But double strategic bonuses would be good.Portugal.Portugal are sailing up to be my new favorite civ to play

I wonder how they will figure out the feitora bonus when one are allies. getting two copies of gems doesn't help you at all,since you can't sell a resource from a cs.

If the Commerce tree keeps its +2 :c5happy: from each luxury resource policy, then it'll still be worthwhile. And I can't see Portugal players not using the Commerce tree.

In Civ IV, cultural civs were my favorite. I loved pushing borders outward and flipping cities. So far in Civ V, economic civs have been my favorite. Portugal is definitely shaping up to go on my favorites list, but now that city flipping is back, Brazil and France may change me back to my Civ IV preferences.

In Civ IV, cultural civs were my favorite. I loved pushing borders outward and flipping cities. So far in Civ V, economic civs have been my favorite. Portugal is definitely shaping up to go on my favorites list, but now that city flipping is back, Brazil and France may change me back to my Civ IV preferences.

The happiness from the feitorias' resources and the extra money from international trade routes give dinamism to a player that picks Portugal. You may go cultural with the support of these trade benefits.

I wonder how they will figure out the feitora bonus when one are allies. getting two copies of gems doesn't help you at all,since you can't sell a resource from a cs. But double strategic bonuses would be good.Portugal.Portugal are sailing up to be my new favorite civ to play

Doubling luxury resources might be good for trading with other civs. But yes, gaining new sources of strategic resources might really give an huge bonus to a player. Even if one loses a city with an important strategic resource, one just has to send a worker to a CS to solve the problem.

Top Bottom