1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Portugal Discussion

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by otaman1, Apr 12, 2013.

1. LoneRebel

LoneRebel Emperor

The only problem I can foresee is city-states deciding to remove your Feitoria for whatever reason, but I'm not sure if the CS AI is programmed to do that.

2. spmosc

spmosc Chieftain

Portugal is too overpowered.
    You get double bonus on trade routes, this nau ships will be nearly for free (if the border CS gives you more than 60 gold and that is considerd to be very little against far civs) you reimburse the costs of nau once you reach far shore, this extra luxury from CS for nothing...
    or they have to upgrade some vanilla civs accordingly

3. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

I do think Portugal is going to get nerfed a lot, because Ed himself said that Happiness and Gold was NOT a problem for him.

4. Arbustro

Arbustro Warlord

Portugal needs peace to prosper. Trade routes and feitorias can be destroyed.

5. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

This.

Plus there's a lot of playtesting to be done yet. I don't agree with calling things overpowered before a) they're finalised; and b) you've had a chance to actually play with/against them.

6. Art Grin

Art Grin Emperor

Portugal doesn't seem to be geared towards warfare from what we've seen. Civs like the English or the Dutch could cause a lot of problem for Portugal when it come to naval warfare and protecting trade routes and without their trade routes the Portuguese have nothing to offer.
    They seem to be a good civ and can become very powerful if left alone.

7. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Yeah, exactly. They might indeed be powerful (we'll have to see), but they are a non-factor for military advantages.

8. Liufeng

Liufeng A man of his time

I hope it wouldn't be such music. It's too fast. I'd prefer a lot more something more slow, calm, like this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4AOh2cy2wc

9. JSMCAG

JSMCAG King

Oooohhhh, that sounds so nice... :)

Unfortunately, I think they'll something "bigger" in mind - pretty much every theme is played by a full orchestra, so I fear we won't have the beautiful sound of the Portuguese guitar, at least not by itself.

I truly hope they did a good job on the sound for Portugal (both themes and voice acting)... In Civilization IV, João II had one of the best themes of the game, so the bar is set high! :p
    I also hope the same for other civilizations, don't take me wrong!

Any ideas on how the war theme could sound like?

10. nunor

nunor King

Well, if I am not mistaken, Lisbon's jingle in G&K is played on Portuguese guitar, and has a very characteristic Portuguese sound.

On the other hand, I find the music in Civ5 a bit bland, so I'm not expecting much either.

11. JSMCAG

JSMCAG King

True, but the City-State's themes are much shorter in duration and scope - besides, I don't think there's a connection between the City-State's theme and the Civilization's theme for the ones that upgraded (so Oslo, Copenhagen, Seoul and so on...)... I will check on that, though!
    EDIT: Errr... :confused: Where are they? I can't find the old City-States' themes anywhere... I know that the ones from Gods & Kings are in '(...)\assets\DLC\Expansion\Sounds\Minor Civs', but I can't find Vanilla's (plus DLC)...

Personally, I think Civilization's V soundtrack was a step on the right direction... :) It might not be perfect, but it is very solid and I quite enjoy hearing it - and I find it got better with Gods & Kings (the main menu's theme is beautiful!). Nothing beats Baba Yetu though...

12. nunor

nunor King

Also, you say they're using Spain's theme for Portugal-- where exactly have you heard it? I thought they used generic music for gameplay and only civ-specific themes for leaderscreens?

13. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I think that there was only one music for city-states in vanilla and G&K added music for individual city-states.

14. JSMCAG

JSMCAG King

When starting (or continuing) a game, the first music that plays is one of your civilization's themes (peace theme if you are at peace, and vice-versa).

In yesterday's demo, Ed Beach was playing as Portugal, and the theme that started playing when they got into the game was clearly Spain's still... (It might be hard to hear, depending on your hardware - he is speaking over it, so that doesn't help... It starts at around 2 minutes in)
    No worries, we will get our soundtrack once we get it... :)

Welp, no info will come from it then... :(

15. nunor

nunor King

Really? I had honestly never noticed that. That's how generic Civ5's soundtrack sounds to me :p

16. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Except this has been proven false. Each City-State had unique music in the original game.

That being said, I do recall that they still recorded new music for civs instead of basing them on the CS music. Copenhagen didn't have the same music as the Danes.

17. JSMCAG

JSMCAG King

Guys, you're leaving me confused! :crazyeye: :lol:

Seriously now, I wasn't suggesting they would take the City-State's and use in in the Civilization's theme - but there might have been some correlation between them... Also, it's possible they might have based the city-state on a more modern Copenhagen, so no Drømte Mig en Drøm i Nat for them... Seoul would probably be a bigger clue (if any - this is rather baseless! :lol:), so I wonder if it is still possible to listen to it (along side whatever City-States became Civilizations in Gods & Kings)...

Who knows, if we don't hear Portugal theme's for a while, maybe we'll get to hear some other Civilization and extrapolate from that! :lol: Hurray for baseless speculation! /sarcasm

18. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Brickhead

At the end of the game at the victory popup it plays your civ's war music as well.

I really like Portugal's abilities and how the Nau simulates getting a "taste" for far-off trade and then choosing to use the experience gained to promote and attack.

19. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

That's because you stopped reading before the rest of the discussion.

We're stretching things pretty thin if we have to start speculating on the music that gets played, I have to say. I hope it's good, but that's about as far as I can push on that front.

20. JSMCAG

JSMCAG King

Well, yes - the player's theme plays in a number of situations:
    • When starting (or continuing) a game - Peace theme if you are at peace, War theme if at war
    • When winning a game - always War theme
    • When declaring war on someone, your war theme plays right after your opponent's war theme finishes playing
    • When at war, it might play randomly during gameplay
    And I think that's all...

... Next time, I'll place a "jk" in there! :p I read it all, that remark was me trying (read: failing) being funny...
    And yes, this is stretching it as thin as possible, not even I believe what I'm saying here! :lol: Still wondering what happened to the files of the old City-States themes though...

Back to Portugal - suggestions for war themes anyone? I got nothing...