[NFP] Portugal is the last NFP Civilization confirmed. Also... Zombies??!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, as much as I'd like to have civs of North America and Maghreb, I have to say that I'm really happy that the final civ of NFP is Portugal.

Now the question is: What could Portugal bring as a novelty?
Trade routes with extra gold when crossing the ocean?
Extra bonus in cities on another continent?
Some diplomatic bonus?

Exploration most likely. We don't have an exploration focused civ yet like Civ 5 Spain.
Trading also, specifically maritime trade, which we have a small bonus with Phoenicia.
UU as a Caravel replacement.
Feitoria is a good bet for a costal UI that could act like a fort and built next to luxuries.
And probably no religion bonuses.

it makes sense

There's always been a UB in every Expansion, though, so I'm guessing it's a UB.
There's also usually three female leaders. I think quotas can be broken. :mischief:

I am actually going to have to bring up a bizarre piece of trivia in that THERE IS a unique improvement that replaces an already existing improvement and that is the Roman Fort. Despite the fact that there is no unique visual identifier for Roman Forts as far as I know, I believe the game does make a distinction since Roman Forts are only buildable by Legions as part of their unique ability, despite it not having any additional era score

Fort (Civ6) | Civilization Wiki | Fandom

So it is in a limbo, but the point is to say that there isn't really a unique improvement replacing an existing one is somewhat of a half truth
Roman Forts to me are essentially just regular Forts. There's nothing else unique about them except they can be built earlier. They even look like regular forts built by military engineers. I find it similar to Canals which can be built by anyone but earlier in the game for China.

Though everyone is actually forgetting the about the Qhapac Nan which really is a unique improvement, that replaces another, the Mountain Tunnel. There's a graphical difference but no gameplay difference. In that case I don't see Portugal getting a direct fort replacement, though it's reasonable that they could get a coastal improvement that gives units stationed their fortification bonuses.
Edit: Apparently it doesn't replace the Mountain Tunnel, the Inca can build both.

Last edited:
Though everyone is actually forgetting the about the Qhapac Nan which really is a unique improvement, that replaces another, the Mountain Tunnel. There's a graphical difference but no gameplay difference.
Though there's a legitimate question of "Why would they?" the Inca can build ordinary Mountain Tunnels.

Though everyone is actually forgetting the about the Qhapac Nan which really is a unique improvement, that replaces another, the Mountain Tunnel. There's a graphical difference but no gameplay difference. In that case I don't see Portugal getting a direct fort replacement, though it's reasonable that they could get a coastal improvement that gives units stationed their fortification bonuses.
Though there's a legitimate question of "Why would they?" the Inca can build ordinary Mountain Tunnels.
It sounds like the Incas do not have any incentive to build Mountain Tunnels, I first thought so too, but if you are really into being efficient, then Builder's cost scales, but Engineer's cost doesn't, so there may be a point where a Builder charge is more expensive than an Engineer charge.:lol: But yeah, totally agree with Zaarin here, no such thing as an improvement replacing another improvement, as the Inca can still build normal Tunnels.

Can they? I've never played the Inca yet so I didn't know.
Actually looking at the civilization wiki it says the Qhapac Nan doesn't actually replace the mountain tunnel, so never mind.

I'm not a "they ruined my perfectly historical 4x game" type of member of this forum. But if the Zombie Mode is not about some end-game apocalyptic content, I will firmly suggest that FXS devs should make a fantasy game under their own IP instead of shoving it under "Civ series".

If the devs really want to make fantasy content, that's a much better way of doing it.

They might be pulling a less redonkulus Fallout76 on us where they have their cake and eat it too by putting their new game genre in an established franchise so it’s less of a risk.

Is the “evidence” for Zombie Mode basically just that achievement? That could be a scenario, or pehaps irony or something.

The thing I am most excited for is the massive rebalance coming in April. I am still overall positive enough about Civ6, which overall I have greatly enjoyed, that I am not going to assume it will be littered with game break bugs and unintended consequences.

I am admittedly not very smart

I just had a cup of tea and a thought: what if those zombies are coming to the Apocalypse mode instead of getting their own individual mode? As far as I remember, after the release of Apocalypse, there were some wishes for it to be something more and calls to import zombies from Red Death, so maybe FXS did just that? We know that things take time at FXS, so maybe this feedback from the forums back then made all the way through the idea hatching and implementing stages and now it finally reaches the release stage? Zombies enhancing the Apocalypse mode would be more acceptable and rather appropriate.

I just had a cup of tea and a thought: what if those zombies are coming to the Apocalypse mode instead of getting their own individual mode? As far as I remember, after the release of Apocalypse, there were some wishes for it to be something more and calls to import zombies from Red Death, so maybe FXS did just that? We know that things take time at FXS, so maybe this feedback from the forums back then made all the way through the idea hatching and implementing stages and now it finally reaches the release stage? Zombies enhancing the Apocalypse mode would be more acceptable and rather appropriate.
I like this idea, but we shall see. Let's not get ourselves too hyped: If we do this, we just become more disappointed. :p

I don't think this is gonna be an addition to other mode in another pack, that You can buy separately. We gonna have some new mode.
Actually, I'm more interested in new wonders (please, Notre-Dame), and map (TSL Giant Earth might be too much of an ask, but You never know).

And if they were just getting tacked onto Apocalypse Mode, then why give them achievements?
Well... I mean, we could say they're additional Achievements for the Apocalypse Mode, who knows? But as I said, let's not get too hyped up.

It's an interesting idea but I'm not so sure that's it. We didn't see any other type of achievements right besides the zombies and Red Death so some new game mode would have to be there.

Though I would find it hilarious if you finally got a punishment for being last in the "Appease the Gods" Emergency: zombie units spawn in your capital. :mischief:

Honestly, nothing can save Civ VI of being the most unfocussed, shallow, and uninspired game of the fanchise. At least the crazy modes can make it enjoyable and replayable. Otherwise, for a 4x grand strategy realistic take on civilization building, well I take Civ 4 or 5 over this one any day, and for scify strategy I have my Endless Space 2. Campy nonesense fun unbalanced game modes are now the only reason to not uninstall the game for me.

So I'm totally ok, with a zombie mode. However, I hope they make a balanced one this time. And that they keep fixing the problems with the other modes, the world builder and other game features that are still not fully finished or functional.

@MrRadar could be right. How many Players are using the Apocalypse Mode? probably not a lot. I think it's the least used Mode. And seeing Firaxis has made an update for Red Death, why shouldn't they make also an update for a Mode that's rarely used (especially a practically new One)?

The Apocalypse Mode is (beside C&M) the only Mode (that we got so far) that could improve the Late-Game, and including Zombies into the Mode would be a nice and smart move in that direction.

I still can't beleave that the last Mode of NFP is going to NOT be a realistic and historically accurate one. Maybe That's the reason why they are making Portugal and Zombies in the same DLC, because they know that it's going to sell, despite many People won't like the Mode. And tbh I'm/would be ok with that, that's Business, but it would really make me feel let down. So much Potential to the Game, yet we just got/get stuff that doesn't belong to Civ (at least the Apocalypse Mode could have been a Future-Era Mode with Zombies - I would love to play that Scenario (Vanilla, not Scenario play)).

"What could Portugal bring as a novelty?"

Well I hate to bring this up, but one of Portugal's unique contributions was pioneering the Atlantic-African slave trade. CivX has never directly modeled slavery, so there my be ways to simulate this abstractly outside the home continent of Portugal.

The other unique was that Portugal was the first European state to round the Cape and enter the Indian Ocean. The Estado da India then captured by force most of the trade in that ocean and points further east.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom