[NFP] Portugal is the last NFP Civilization confirmed. Also... Zombies??!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s still a bit surprising the last civ isn’t NA.
It seemed like:
Pack 1 - South America
Pack 2 - Africa
Pack 3 - Europe
Pack 4 - Middle East
Pack 5 - East Asia
Pack 6 - ?????

Apparently Europe again

Hmmmm is this some Haitian erasure like the SS mode was for Romania? :p

I hate zombies. Could possibly be fun in the context of Civ, but what a trash genre. Preying on the leisure class's fears of populism, poverty, and statistical irrelevance. Kill it with fire. ;)

It seemed like:
Pack 1 - South America
Pack 2 - Africa
Pack 3 - Europe
Pack 4 - Middle East
Pack 5 - East Asia
Pack 6 - ?????

Apparently Europe again

I was predicting Europe again. We often got about 3-ish European leaders, all of the other major slots had been filled besides Oceania which didn't have any really good options, and NFP is nothing but massive fanservice so I was expecting the most popular continent to get extra attention, either with Portugal or Italy.

I hate zombies. Could possibly be fun in the context of Civ, but what a trash genre. Preying on the leisure class's fears of populism, poverty, and statistical irrelevance. Kill it with fire. ;P
Okay... Not sure of the connotations, but I too am disappointed about zombies...
It seemed like:
Pack 1 - South America
Pack 2 - Africa
Pack 3 - Europe
Pack 4 - Middle East
Pack 5 - East Asia
Pack 6 - ?????

Apparently Europe again
Also, the fact that we were guessing a Female Leader because of the 1/3 ratio, yet we got a Male Leader. I'm surprised, not disappointed, but still questioning the decisions behind this.

There are still significant civs that could be a draw. Huns, Goths, Venicians, one of the several Celtic tribes, Mohicans, Apaches, Google, Mahratta Confederation, CSA, Swiss and those are just the ones off the top of my head, a European with little historical knowledge. You only need two or three big draws, so a few lesser known civs could bulk those out as well.

I've not been persuaded whether this is the end or not.

I might be one of those realism guys, so I am somewhat biased, but I just really can't understand the appeal for any zombie-related gameplay in a historical 4x game. I would assume that Firaxis knows what they are doing, and it's perfectly fine with me as I will never turn this mode on.

No, I'm with you there... I'm not even one who adheres strictly to realism and I'm against it. It's also quite redundant considering we already have entire modes devoted to fictional monsters and apocalyptic scenarios (Red Death and Apocalypse).

There are still significant civs that could be a draw. Huns, Goths, Venicians, one of the several Celtic tribes, Mohicans, Apaches, Google, Mahratta Confederation, CSA, Swiss and those are just the ones off the top of my head, a European with little historical knowledge. You only need two or three big draws, so a few lesser known civs could bulk those out as well.
Ah, yes, the infamous Google Empire founded by its first tyra-CEO, Larry Page in 1998. :p

Last edited:
No, I'm with you there... I'm not even one who adheres strictly to realism and I'm against it. It's also quite redundant considering we already have entire modes devoted to fictional monsters and apocalyptic scenarios (Red Death and Apocalypse).
Who wouldn't want to play using a Hercules-Mulan tag team against zombies? What's there not to like?
Ay, yes, the infamous Google Empire founded by its first tyra-CEO, Larry Page in 1998. :p
I was curious as to whether anyone would pick up on that. Didn't expect it to be quite so quick!

I was curious as to whether anyone would pick up on that. Didn't expect it to be quite so quick!
I read between, outside, inside, in front, behind, on top, and to the side of the lines. In short... I notice details.

Whelmed by Portugal, I guess. Not super excited since it's probably my least favorite of the missing groups, but I didn't expect it to be anything else, so whatever. Good for people who wanted it, mildly glad it's in, kinda lame Civ to potentially end on though.

Zombies give me big "I expected nothing and I'm still disappointed" energy. I cannot think of any situation in which I would get excited about zombies. Even in the context of it being prefixed by "we have no plans to ever add", I'd have just wondered why it was even a consideration.

I've not been persuaded whether this is the end or not.

I would say remaining big draws would be, based on discussions in these forums:

* Austria (if only for Maria Teresa)
* Assyria (highly requested)
* Italy/Venice (also highly requested)
* Inuit (highly popular mod)

Less popular, but still pretty highly requested:

* Morocco/Berbers
* Navajo (sometimes Comanche or Apache, and also some split opinions on Tlingit/Salish/Haida, but Navajo consistently get the most attention)
* Finland/Saami
* Swahili/Guinea coasts
* Pashtunstan (Timurids, Kushans, etc.)

Middling popularity, but I'm mentioning them out of principle as large/enduring empires filling important regions out:

* Bulgaria
* Burma
* Oman

I think a pack with just Austria, Assyria, and Italy would have enough draw to sell season passes. And personally, I wouldn't even need or want Austria, since "pick six" from any of the likely candidates would make me quite happy.

I would say remaining big draws would be, based on discussions in these forums:

* Austria (if only for Maria Teresa)
* Assyria (highly requested)
* Italy/Venice (also highly requested)
* Inuit (highly popular mod)

Less popular, but still pretty highly requested:

* Morocco/Berbers
* Navajo (sometimes Comanche or Apache, and also some split opinions on Tlingit/Salish/Haida, but Navajo consistently get the most attention)
* Finland/Saami
* Swahili/Guinea coasts
* Pashtunstan (Timurids, Kushans, etc.)

Middling popularity, but I'm mentioning them out of principle as large/enduring empires filling important regions out:

* Bulgaria
* Burma
* Oman

I think a pack with just Austria, Assyria, and Italy would have enough draw to sell season passes. And personally, I wouldn't even need or want Austria, since "pick six" from any of the likely candidates would make me quite happy.
How I could forget Assyria I don't know, but yes, in terms of civs, there are still way more out there that could coax people into buying. There is also an Economic Victory that would tug on purse strings for an XP, and with the M&C mode, much of the work could have been done. I'm not even taxing myself to think of these ideas.

That's not to say that there is definitely more on the horizon, but there is definitely room for it.

If they are doing Zombies, hopefully it's at least something that shakes up the late game a bit.

Portugal was expected, though definitely not near the top of my list. If they were coming, I was hoping for some sort of exploration-based game play. The achievement about having trading posts in different countries makes a little concerned it's going to be a somewhat dry implementation (Portugal gets +5 gold for every civ they have a trading post in).

TLDR I'm underwhelmed and preparing to be more underwhelmed.

Not surprising. Interesting to see a “Trading Post” (what’s wrong with feitoria?) can be established in civs, rather than just city states.

I think there’s scope for some creativity with their ability, so I’m looking forward to seeing the announcement.

also I will continue to grumble about the use of “confirmed” before any formal announcement is made...

What's now interesting about Portugal is that they've had 4 different leaders for 4 different iterations.
Civ III > Henry
Civ IV > Joao II
Civ V > Maria
Civ VI > Joao III

And how much you want to bet they make him look like Dom Deluise?

What's now interesting about Portugal is that they've had 4 different leaders for 4 different iterations.
Civ III > Henry
Civ IV > Joao II
Civ V > Maria
Civ VI > Joao III

I'm hoping it's a typo and it's just Joao II again.

Not surprising. Interesting to see a “Trading Post” (what’s wrong with feitoria?) can be established in civs, rather than just city states.

I think there’s scope for some creativity with their ability, so I’m looking forward to seeing the announcement.

also I will continue to grumble about the use of “confirmed” before any formal announcement is made...

What do you mean? The wording of the achievement does not suggest anything at all that would indicate any changes to trading posts for Portugal. It simply means that you have to have trading posts in one of the cities of each referred civ.

It seemed like:
Pack 1 - South America
Pack 2 - Africa
Pack 3 - Europe
Pack 4 - Middle East
Pack 5 - East Asia
Pack 6 - ?????

Apparently Europe again

Pack 1 is Americas ...Mexico is NA...

I just had enjoyed Iroqueis the same way as Portugal... but I do not understand why people do pretend Maya is South America..

(Like the mantra "scotland being the celtic civ" repeated ad nauseam in these forums before celtic civ announcement)

Anyway , the final picture is pretty well balanced in terms of geography..

- 2 American Civs
- 2 Europa Civs
- 1 Africa Civ
- 2 Asian civs + new asian leader
- "special case" of Bizantium as multi-continent civ (Europe, Asia, Africa)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom