[NFP] Portugal is the last NFP Civilization confirmed. Also... Zombies??!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok actually you can also see the northeastern-most mountain tile's model changing, as if a mountain east or northeast of it is about to be revealed, and the inter-hex mountain model is raising in elevation to accommodate the about-to-be-revealed mountain.

So now my guess is that a naval unit is getting moved north along the western coast of the landmass, such that the western crabs will be out of sight and the northern crabs will be within sight.

But that still leaves the question of why some fog of war is disappearing from around the western crabs. Maybe the unit is first moving one tile west, and then going straight northwest.

Still doesn't explain that large dark hex around the western mountain tile tho

Ok actually you can also see the northeastern-most mountain tile's model changing, as if a mountain east or northeast of it is about to be revealed, and the inter-hex mountain model is raising in elevation to accommodate the about-to-be-revealed mountain.

So now my guess is that a naval unit is getting moved north along the western coast of the landmass, such that the western crabs will be out of sight and the northern crabs will be within sight.

But that still leaves the question of why some fog of war is disappearing from around the western crabs. Maybe the unit is first moving one tile west, and then going straight northwest.

Still doesn't explain that large dark hex around the western mountain tile tho
That's possible. But isn't the Unit in the Middle of the gif selected during all those actions happening?

EDIT: Yes, it is. How could we miss the Light that comes from selected Units?

Last edited:
That's possible. But isn't the Unit in the Middle of the gif selected during all those actions happening?
Wait yeah duh, near the beginning, especially as Ba Trieu leans left, you can see the sunbeams shining down and the light circle that indicate a unit being selected. I was too tunnel visioned to even see that part. The unit looks like a galley, caravel, or something like that, so probably naval melee. There's one boat at a skewed angle off to the side of the tile that we see, just like galleys, caravels, longships, and unlike quadriremes, frigates, privateers, dromons (there's two but they arent at skewed angles), barbary corsairs, etc. Seems to have 2 sight range. Either moves west 1 tile, then northwest a few, or northwest 1 tile, west 1 tile, northwest the rest

Wait yeah duh, near the beginning, especially as Ba Trieu leans left, you can see the sunbeams shining down and the light circle that indicate a unit being selected. I was too tunnel visioned to even see that part. The unit looks like a galley, caravel, or something like that, so probably naval melee. There's one boat at a skewed angle off to the side of the tile that we see, just like galleys, caravels, longships, and unlike quadriremes, frigates, privateers, dromons (there's two but they arent at skewed angles), barbary corsairs, etc. Seems to have 2 sight range. Either moves west 1 tile, then northwest a few, or northwest 1 tile, west 1 tile, northwest the rest
Only if it's an oppenent Unit. The selected Unit stays in that tile throghout the whole scene, only the angle of the sun beems has changed at the end of it (maybe indicating that the Unit has used a charge for something).

Only if it's an oppenent Unit. The selected Unit stays in that tile throghout the whole scene, only the angle of the sun beems has changed at the end of it.
Maybe they made that gif using a build of the game where they don't yet have a sailing animation on the unit? Or maybe it's doing that thing that at the very least galleys do (just tested in my own game) where one of the ships starts moving immediately, and the other takes a sec to start moving, so that while the unit's moving from tile to tile one ship is trailing behind the other.

specifically, the eastern mountain tile (to the right of Ba Trieu's neck) goes under fog of war, and the two crabs resource icons switch whether they look like theyre under fog of war... but the tiles under the icons dont seem to change. no idea whats making these changes, and how.

Is it possible to unblur the blur? Anyone?

There's definitely an effect going on under her arm in the coast tile adjacent to land. Go and look at it. It's pretty noticeable once you know where to look.

Can someone identify it? It's somewhat similar to Hercules when he finishes a district, but not quite the same. Could it be a storm? I don't think so. Birds over a resource? Also don't think so. Would be cool if someone recognised that particular effect.
---

HOWEVER, I think the change in fog is a still image. Or at least they cut part of the clip, because fog doesn't change like that. It's progressive, not instant.

Only if it's an oppenent Unit. The selected Unit stays in that tile throghout the whole scene, only the angle of the sun beems has changed at the end of it (maybe indicating that the Unit has used a charge for something).

I'd say the unit is starting to move, but the gif is stopped at the first stage of movement. This would explain also the change in the crab icon (icons change to FOW (MOW?) first, then the animation of the FOW encroaching hits the tile). We are not able to see the tile changing to full FOW during the GIF loop.

Are the two red hexes to the right ZOC hexes? or is it something new?

Anyway, let's just trow two or three random speculations:

- I won't be surprised if they do a "Gran Colombia" for Portugal. However, for me it would not be a +1 movement on water, but giving them their special line of Great Admirals.
- Was thinking about the Feitoria, and I considered the option to make it a Unique Improvement that you can place in any coast tile and counts as a trading post for extending Portugal's trade routes.
- LUA/CUA bonus could be doubling trade route yields if you connect trade routes to cities with luxury resources you don't have (plus maybe getting a copy of the resource)

Maybe they made that gif using a build of the game where they don't yet have a sailing animation on the unit? Or maybe it's doing that thing that at the very least galleys do (just tested in my own game) where one of the ships starts moving immediately, and the other takes a sec to start moving, so that while the unit's moving from tile to tile one ship is trailing behind the other.
Yeah, could be.
Another odd thing is The ZOC in the adjacent tiles of the Unit on the right, but it doesn't seem to be an enemy. The tile on the west side of that Unit has a normal looking ZOC, but the one in the SouthWest is more Red and has a diagonal red stroke (or is there something red?). Perhaps it indicates where you can't do something?

I know Magellan served the Spanish court but the Portugese as the last Civ is timely.

He is Portugese and it is the 500th anniversary of the circumnavigation of the globe. :)

hoping for an exploration-based civ. :)
I was convince that Civ Vi team was preparing something to surf the 500th anniversary, but I'm not sure...

It would be super nice to have at least some extra GP from the period (At least give me El cano :( ) or an achievement related!
Perhaps a Caravel replacement with both melee and ranged attack, like an Immortal at sea? Or naval unit with improvement charge (like Legion, Toa, Mountie)?
---

I think Portugal might actually have a somewhat military focus. Not for a domination victory, but for capturing coastal cities. No one else has bonuses to that, other than the De Zeven Provincien. Spain's Armadas make it easier to dominate the seas, but not so much for conquering walled coastal cities in the Renaissance.

Portugal's dominance of the spice trade was done through conquest, specifically of Ormuz, Goa and Malacca.

For me, Portugal should have a ship like De Zeven Provincien, able to take a walled city like nothing. This would allow them to seize coastal cities. A bonus to loyalty in other continents (or per feitorias), + all the economic bonuses they should have and you have a pretty strong civ that matches Portugal in real life!

I was also hesitant about their bonuses, because I really want them to have a bonus that force them to settle all continents. After knowing that the bonus are related to luxuries, I'm quite happy, as that would force them to look for the unique luxuries that every continent has!

I was convince that Civ Vi team was preparing something to surf the 500th anniversary, but I'm not sure...

It would be super nice to have at least some extra GP from the period (At least give me El cano :( ) or an achievement related!

For me, Portugal should have a ship like De Zeven Provincien, able to take a walled city like nothing. This would allow them to seize coastal cities. A bonus to loyalty in other continents (or per feitorias), + all the economic bonuses they should have and you have a pretty strong civ that matches Portugal in real life!

I was also hesitant about their bonuses, because I really want them to have a bonus that force them to settle all continents. After knowing that the bonus are related to luxuries, I'm quite happy, as that would force them to look for the unique luxuries that every continent has!

First, you repeated what you said twice. Second, there is an Achievement mentioning Elcano. https://truesteamachievements.com/a737417/elcanos-revenge-achievement

The tile on the right side of that Unit has a normal looking ZOC, but the one in the SouthWest is more Red and has a diagonal red stroke (or is there something red?). Perhaps it indicates where you can't do something?
if you mean the north-to-south red line, that's an exclamation point, and all ZOC'd tiles have it, the other ZOC'd tile is just more blurred. If you're referring to something else, then I have no idea where it even is.
There's definitely an effect going on under her arm in the coast tile adjacent to land. Go and look at it. It's pretty noticeable once you know where to look.
you mean the halo of light coming down from the sky, or something else? cos if it's that, it's just the thing that shows that a unit is being selected
Another odd thing is The ZOC in the adjacent tiles of the Unit on the right, but it doesn't seem to be an enemy
It looks like a barbarian caravel to me, but maybe I'm wrong? looks like the unit banner is black-on-red, which is reserved for barbs

First, you repeated what you said twice. Second, there is an Achievement mentioning Elcano. https://truesteamachievements.com/a737417/elcanos-revenge-achievement
What is happening to me! I cannot make a normal post even if my life depended on it :( (Thank you very much!)

And yes! but I was thinking more of El cano as a GP (that could double sea trade length or something) and a commemorative achievement, like being the first to circumnavigate the map in a game during 2022. This could be give only to the people that manage to unlock it during the year 2022 or the specific day. Not about people but more about the event.

What is happening to me! I cannot make a normal post even if my life depended on it :( (Thank you very much!)

And yes! but I was thinking more of El cano as a GP (that could double sea trade length or something) and a commemorative achievement, like being the first to circumnavigate the map in a game during 2022. This could be give only to the people that manage to unlock it during the year 2022 or the specific day. Not about people but more about the event.
You're welcome. Also, that does seem like something I would support.

you mean the halo of light coming down from the sky, or something else? cos if it's that, it's just the thing that shows that a unit is being selected

No. The halo is pretty much static. This thing is like a white circular wind effect.

There's probably nothing to see here, and it might be entirely unrelated with Portugal or the next DLC, but I need to figure out that effect now :p

if you mean the north-to-south red line, that's an exclamation point, and all ZOC'd tiles have it, the other ZOC'd tile is just more blurred. If you're referring to something else, then I have no idea where it even is.
Yes. It might be just that. Just wondered about the more red ZOC.

I'm ok with that. Should genocide be in the game, since it was used to eliminate huge numbers of people that leaders deemed to be "enemies?" I say no.

Just because some aspect of history is important does not make it appropriate for a historical-themed game.

You know when you raze a city it's population do not migrate to outer space.... do you?

By the way, raze mechanic in CIV IV was much better.... it takes several turns (depending on how much population) and produce huge unhappiness when doing it... it could be translated to CIV VI.. instead of destroying a whole city in a single turn without giving the chance to retake it...

Policial correctness has ruined real world and is ruining video games... this one in particular.

Policial correctness has ruined real world and is ruining video games... this one in particular.

Around the time Civilization I was released, DnD was still being accused of being satanic, musicians were being pulled into congress to explain their lyrics, and myths of violence fuelled by video games were the norm.

You're looking at the world with an extremely zoomed in lens and choosing to interpret the trifles of our time as consequential.

So can we assume Aztec Eagle Warriors are passing out recruitment flyers...or that Aztec Workers are just going into happy retirement when they rush a district? :mischief:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom