[NFP] Portugal is the last NFP Civilization confirmed. Also... Zombies??!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think so

Most people attempting to talk about slavery are accused of being woke. If anything there's been a push to talk more about slavery, not less.

Just today

Accusations of political correctness are quickly becoming a "friends we made along the way" meme. It can be used for anything and its opposite.

You know when you raze a city it's population do not migrate to outer space.... do you?

By the way, raze mechanic in CIV IV was much better.... it takes several turns (depending on how much population) and produce huge unhappiness when doing it... it could be translated to CIV VI.. instead of destroying a whole city in a single turn without giving the chance to retake it...

Policial correctness has ruined real world and is ruining video games... this one in particular.

Of course I realize what razing a city means for its population. But of course, that is an abstraction in the game, as is war weariness.

I just have no interest in the abhorrent behaviors of some human beings being played out specifically as a game mechanic. Rape and murder have also been used to terrorize civilians during war. I do not want the specifics of those in Civ (even though they can be part of the abstraction of “war weariness”).

Civ is a historically-themed game, used for entertainment. When I want to learn about historical reality, I’ll read a book.

You know when you raze a city it's population do not migrate to outer space.... do you?

By the way, raze mechanic in CIV IV was much better.... it takes several turns (depending on how much population) and produce huge unhappiness when doing it... it could be translated to CIV VI.. instead of destroying a whole city in a single turn without giving the chance to retake it...

Policial correctness has ruined real world and is ruining video games... this one in particular.
I agree that the previous razing system was better, even just hearing about it, not ever even having played with it. But it wasn't taken out because of "political correctness". It was probably taken out for two main reasons. 1) The way it currently is implemented is probably easier to code, and 2) ultimately Civ 6 is a game being marketed to people who like to play strategy games to have fun, and as the biggest title in the 4X genre, they want to have a game that as many people as possible can enjoy, so more people buy it, and they make more money. If they add slavery mechanics to the game, they're likely to lose more players who don't want to be reminded of the atrocities of slavery than they are to gain players who like 4X games for their perfect historical accuracy, and weren't already playing Civ 6. That's why they'll still implement things in the game which reference slavery (Triangular Trade, Aztec captured builders), just without making it so realistic that people can't just ignore it when/if they just wanna play a fun city-building strategy game without thinking about real-world atrocities.

Most people attempting to talk about slavery are accused of being woke. If anything there's been a push to talk more about slavery, not less.

Exactly! You could make the argument that actually, by not portraying slavery, Firaxis is sanitizing history, pretending that slavery never happened. Which would also be wrong.

Exactly! You could make the argument that actually, by not portraying slavery, Firaxis is sanitizing history, pretending that slavery never happened. Which would also be wrong..

About sensitive slavery topic... I was pointing that no CIV game "promoted" slavery.. indeed had several penalties and was intended to be overcame as son as possible.. CIV IV takes another design .. OK...

Enough

Exactly! You could make the argument that actually, by not portraying slavery, Firaxis is sanitizing history, pretending that slavery never happened. Which would also be wrong.

I agree. However, I don't think such themes fit Civ 6's aesthetic. The game is pretty light. I just don't think that means anything in terms of trends, etc, as onepurpose suggested.

Civ 7 could veer towards greater realism again. Which I've suggested it probably will, to make it distinct from Civ 6.

I'm also interested to see what Humankind does with it.

First of all, I don't see our world ruined. In fact, we are living in a much better world than 100 years ago.
Second of all, some people see political correctness everywhere and using the term as a keyword to express their general disapproval.
In reality in the game, we have a policy card called Triangular Trade which refers literally to the slave trade.
We should distinct what we understand as political correctness from a dev's choice not to expose a player to hardcore historical realism. There is just no need to do it and Civ was never a game that aspired to that. So I don't know why you have such expectations.

Okay, now that this slavery discussion is done and we can get back to the topic, I actually have a list of videos that talk about the March Pack. Here they are:

I think they're pretty good in terms of helping move the discussion and to introduce new ideas not thought of yet. Maybe.

I agree. However, I don't think such themes fit Civ 6's aesthetic. The game is pretty light. I just don't think that means anything in terms of trends, etc, as onepurpose suggested.

I did not say that ..

I was saying that many decisions are taken on the basis of "political correctness" (or what 21th century infantilized and hiper-sensibilzed first world consumers considere it must be) instead of gameplay & historical accuracy criteria

It's my opinion... and I'm over with this off-topic

Okay, now that this slavery discussion is done and we can get back to the topic, I actually have a list of videos that talk about the March Pack. Here they are:

Lmao, you're in the video.

I don't usually find those videos useful ever since I joined Civfanatics. But I rely on this kind of content creator for stuff related to Warhammer.

Busted. :p

I did not say that ..

I was saying that many decisions are taken on the basis of "political correctness" (or what 21th century infantilized and hiper-sensibilzed first world consumers considere it must be) instead of gameplay & historical accuracy criteria

It's my opinion... and I'm over with this off-topic
Authenticity is the word I think you're looking for. You can't say Civ 6 is historically accurate when we have the Mayans entering an alliance with the Polish and conquering the Mongols. :p

I think they're pretty good in terms of helping move the discussion and to introduce new ideas not thought of yet. Maybe.
Started watching the first vid, got to the point where the guy says Joao III's name, and I got thrown off because it was more like how people usually say "Zhao" than "Joao" ("jow" instead of "jwow"). Now I'm wondering just how bad the loading screen's gonna be. Sean Bean's gonna rhyme Joao with "potato", the text'll say Joao Iii, there'll be a typo in the description, the glitch that made China's icon on the load screen show up as Mongolia's will affect Portugal too....

Started watching the first vid, got to the point where the guy says Joao III's name, and I got thrown off because it was more like how people usually say "Zhao" than "Joao" ("jow" instead of "jwow"). Now I'm wondering just how bad the loading screen's gonna be. Sean Bean's gonna rhyme Joao with "potato", the text'll say Joao Iii, there'll be a typo in the description, the glitch that made China's icon on the load screen show up as Mongolia's will affect Portugal too....
Please... My brain can't take it... Ahhhh...

I don't usually find those videos useful ever since I joined Civfanatics. But I rely on this kind of content creator for stuff related to Warhammer.
That's why I said maybe. I can find these types of videos useful, but we're different people.

Now I'm wondering just how bad the loading screen's gonna be.

Oh Lord, I forgot about Sean Bean.

Also, considering the effort they've put into those intros in NFP, i expect something like:

"Oh King JoWAHO the third, you who kingliest kingly stuff, go forth and kingle some more."

Still better than Menelik's.

Oh Lord, I forgot about Sean Bean.

Also, considering the effort they've put into those intros in NFP, i expect something like:

"Oh King JoWAHO the third, you who kingliest kingly stuff, go forth and kingle some more."

Still better than Menelik's.
I feel like Hammurabi's is the best out of the NFP.

I feel like Hammurabi's is the best out of the NFP.

This is now an elimination thread waiting to happen. Let's wait for Portugal to arrive and then we can ask a moderator. (But for all Civs, not just NFP).

Edit: Just went and looked through them. They are all pretty simple. Ba Trieu and Ambiorix are the best, in my opinion.

This is now an elimination thread waiting to happen. Let's wait for Portugal to arrive and then we can ask a moderator. (But for all Civs, not just NFP).
No doubt. At least we have the Policy Cards to bully... :shifty:

Alternatively, while the text unmistakably says "King João III", Sean Bean just goes off-script and says either "King John Eeee" or "King Johnny", and no-one can tell which.
Sean Bean isn't that bad of a narrator, so I feel I have to defend him somewhat. I do hope that if there are any updates in the future, they'll rework the intros for the NFP Leaders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom