[NFP] Portugal is the last NFP Civilization confirmed. Also... Zombies??!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps Zombies is the third season of the Red Death, which starts the same 9 months after the second (as well as the second one 9 months after the first)

To me, that sounds like a new scenario thingy, like Red Death and Pirates, rather than a game mode that you can include in your standard game.

IIRC every gamemode up to date has related achievements, unless the devs choose to not assign any achievement to the March DLC gamemode.

Well, color me unimpressed.

Portugal - another Trade related Civ in a game that has no economic victory conditions. The word I'm searching for here is POINTLESS

Zombies - I don't have to search for this word: BORING

So now NFP has managed to be completely consistent in its Modes:

Barbarian Clans Mode that eliminates all barbarians in the game by the Medieval Era unless you literally use your army to protect a Barbarian Camp.

Monopoly Mode that makes all victory conditions irrelevant except Cultural, which you win whether you want to or not as long as you use Monopolies

Heroes Mode that makes your entire game revolve around which Hero or Heroes you get: The game as almost complete Random Chance.

Tech Shuffle which randomizes your research. Perfect for those gamers that hate planning.

Secret Societies which, like Red Death, I've never even opened. If I wanted to play a complete fantasy game I would have bought one that included chain mail bikinis - it might play just as ridiculously, but at least it would be visual entertaining.

Let's see, you could set up a game with no opponents, Tech Shuffle, Barbarian Clans, set Disasters to Max and just play a game where you react to Random Events and try to survive . . .

The achivement for controlling zombies is strange since I thought the modern zombie was the antithesis of civilisation not something you can control. Unless they are going the high fantasy type zombie that can be controlled by necromancers/vampires/etc. I'd rather them be an uncontrollable world war z (book) type threat.

Aye, but Portugal's three appearances have been consecutive and apply to the most recent three iterations. It's a lot less sketchy than appearing in just two of the three odd-numbered iterations.
If they weren't in Civ IV they're not a staple :)

Let's see, you could set up a game with no opponents, Tech Shuffle, Barbarian Clans, set Disasters to Max and just play a game where you react to Random Events and try to survive . . .
I really wanted a Builders Mode where you can play without any opponents.....

Well, it was obvious that it would be a headliner civ to finish NFP and Portugal was an obvious choice. I'm excited for them, even if I'd have preferred Venice. I like playing the trade game, but Mali seems like it would be a very slow start, and my starts strapped anyway so I'm reluctant to play them. The Dutch have basically no leader. So I'm hoping for a trade civ that has good strengths and doesn't have a malus that cripples me. Do we know when 1st look will be?

As for zombies, I'm withholding judgement until we learn more. We only have an achievement so far, and we have zombies already in Red Death, so it could easily list be related to a new mechanic in Red Death. If we get more info, then we can start worrying about it.

Me too. And arguably, a game where there are no AI and the barbarians are let roam free will probably be much more challenging than a normal Civ6 game. Quite a scary perspective, really. :eek2:
Earth TSL, two civs, one from the Old World, one from the New World. Turn off CV, DiV and SV. You'll get mostly an AI free game with rampant Barbs until the AI gets ocean crossing tech and discovers you, which may not even happen. If you choose Old World for yourself, you will probably have an even harder time with Barbs - more land and islands for them to pop up on.

and just play a game where you react to Random Events and try to survive . . .
Sounds like a life ;)

Like others, I was hoping for a North American civ. My old Boy Scouting years instilled a love for their various cultures and histories. I also recognize: 1) trying to fit tribes into the Old World-based model Civ uses is a challenge, and 2) they have to deal with political realities. After the blow back over the Cree, they're understandably gun shy. They did beautiful work with Poundmaker, were incredibly respectful in their handling of the culture and history, and even then, they got attacked for it and got a ton of bad PR. With modern cancel culture, they simply can't afford that risk to try and do something like a Mississippian, Navajo, Sioux/Lakota, or Iroquois/Haudonassenee.
I am not the one who is hoping for a North American one so badly, but it is a pity to see possible Native American civs slowly sloping towards Tibet and Israel "controversy" tier.

What's now interesting about Portugal is that they've had 4 different leaders for 4 different iterations.
Civ III > Henry
Civ IV > Joao II
Civ V > Maria
Civ VI > Joao III

And how much you want to bet they make him look like Dom Deluise?

Portugal has many leaders to choose from, either one crazy at their own way :p

And if you notice my modded eight leaders, none is Joao III ;)

I'm not mad that Portugal is in so much as disappointed that neither Iroquois nor Navajo is in. Hoping I can find Portugal will be fun to play, and that before they finish with Civ 6 they at least do what they did early into Civ6's lifespan where they released some civs&leaders in little cheap piecemeal packs. Even just one pack like the one that added Indonesia and Khmer, except it adds Navajo and Iroquois, and I'll be happy. I really don't want this to be the end of Civ6 just yet.

Yeah, I agree with Portugal not being a bad pick. Out of the NFP Civ, I would happily swap out Gran Colombia for another Native-American Civ, but oh well, white-washing it is! Even more Civs would be nice, but oh well, not rly bothered.

I am ready for Civ 6 to move on to Civ 7 to be honest :shrug:

Earth TSL, two civs, one from the Old World, one from the New World. Turn off CV, DiV and SV. You'll get mostly an AI free game with rampant Barbs until the AI gets ocean crossing tech and discovers you, which may not even happen. If you choose Old World for yourself, you will probably have an even harder time with Barbs - more land and islands for them to pop up on.
I'm just about to try this!

If last game mode is zombie mode, I'm gonna ... :vomit:
I am with you mate. I haven't even watch proper zombie movie apart from Zombiland (largely because of Stone and Eisenberg). Let's hope it's about Red Death.
I wonder how they will rename Lisbon CS.

I'll wait to judge Portugal until I see their abilities, it could go either way for me. If it's just a boring design relying on trading posts from trade routes, then yea... :undecide:

I think the only way I would play with a zombie mode is if it's a kind of endgame crisis, where several different scenarios could happen. One is a viral zombie outbreak, another could be alien invasion (with some nice x-com crossover). Another could be a mole people invasion, I don't know :think:

Anyway, if it's really just a mode to make zombie military units or whatever then no thanks. Finally it may just be achievements for Red Death (I still didn't play a single game of it...).

I like the fact that Portugal is coming. I hope they have the Feitoria as I thought that was a somewhat interesting building from Civ V.

From a historical perspective, I don't see how they can be ignored as one of Europe's more influential civs. I mean, were they not at the forefront of a true global economy?

Also, isn't there a new map coming in this update? Maybe there will be a new mode tied to that. Some expansion/colonization/trade mode tied to an economic victory? I know, I'm just dreaming--zombies seem more likely.

Last edited:
Omg, zombies ??? this stupidity simply wont stop ...

At least Portugal is good news, still I am left with no Austria and USA native american civ.

Is it weird that I think this actually sounds kinda fun ;)

Iroquois ability may has been used by Vietnam.
I think the Cree took iroquois abilities. Replace "mekewap" with "longhouse" and you otherwise have a reasonable iroquois civ. Though yeah, a war civ would be very reasonable too. The existence of Cree in the game would have given them a chance to break out of the mold.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom