1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Portugal is the last NFP Civilization confirmed. Also... Zombies??!!

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Duke William of Normandy, Mar 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starina

Starina Warlord

Perhaps Zombies is the third season of the Red Death, which starts the same 9 months after the second (as well as the second one 9 months after the first)

2. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir Emperor

IIRC every gamemode up to date has related achievements, unless the devs choose to not assign any achievement to the March DLC gamemode.

3. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

Well, color me unimpressed.

Portugal - another Trade related Civ in a game that has no economic victory conditions. The word I'm searching for here is POINTLESS

Zombies - I don't have to search for this word: BORING

So now NFP has managed to be completely consistent in its Modes:

Barbarian Clans Mode that eliminates all barbarians in the game by the Medieval Era unless you literally use your army to protect a Barbarian Camp.

Monopoly Mode that makes all victory conditions irrelevant except Cultural, which you win whether you want to or not as long as you use Monopolies

Heroes Mode that makes your entire game revolve around which Hero or Heroes you get: The game as almost complete Random Chance.

Tech Shuffle which randomizes your research. Perfect for those gamers that hate planning.

Secret Societies which, like Red Death, I've never even opened. If I wanted to play a complete fantasy game I would have bought one that included chain mail bikinis - it might play just as ridiculously, but at least it would be visual entertaining.

Let's see, you could set up a game with no opponents, Tech Shuffle, Barbarian Clans, set Disasters to Max and just play a game where you react to Random Events and try to survive . . .

4. FinalDoomsday

FinalDoomsday Prince

The achivement for controlling zombies is strange since I thought the modern zombie was the antithesis of civilisation not something you can control. Unless they are going the high fantasy type zombie that can be controlled by necromancers/vampires/etc. I'd rather them be an uncontrollable world war z (book) type threat.

5. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Elite Quattromaster - Emperor (BTS) Super Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

If they weren't in Civ IV they're not a staple :)

Duuk and SammyKhalifa like this.
  6. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Elite Quattromaster - Emperor (BTS) Super Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

I really wanted a Builders Mode where you can play without any opponents.....

7. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

Me too. And arguably, a game where there are no AI and the barbarians are let roam free will probably be much more challenging than a normal Civ6 game. Quite a scary perspective, really. :eek2:

8. Linklite

Linklite Emperor

Well, it was obvious that it would be a headliner civ to finish NFP and Portugal was an obvious choice. I'm excited for them, even if I'd have preferred Venice. I like playing the trade game, but Mali seems like it would be a very slow start, and my starts strapped anyway so I'm reluctant to play them. The Dutch have basically no leader. So I'm hoping for a trade civ that has good strengths and doesn't have a malus that cripples me. Do we know when 1st look will be?

As for zombies, I'm withholding judgement until we learn more. We only have an achievement so far, and we have zombies already in Red Death, so it could easily list be related to a new mechanic in Red Death. If we get more info, then we can start worrying about it.

Earth TSL, two civs, one from the Old World, one from the New World. Turn off CV, DiV and SV. You'll get mostly an AI free game with rampant Barbs until the AI gets ocean crossing tech and discovers you, which may not even happen. If you choose Old World for yourself, you will probably have an even harder time with Barbs - more land and islands for them to pop up on.

8housesofelixir and Noble Zarkon like this.
  9. Wielki Hegemon

Wielki Hegemon Emperor

Sounds like a life ;)

I am not the one who is hoping for a North American one so badly, but it is a pity to see possible Native American civs slowly sloping towards Tibet and Israel "controversy" tier.

10. raen

raen Coat of Arms

Portugal has many leaders to choose from, either one crazy at their own way :p

And if you notice my modded eight leaders, none is Joao III ;)

Meluhhan likes this.
  11. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Idea Fountain

Yeah, I agree with Portugal not being a bad pick. Out of the NFP Civ, I would happily swap out Gran Colombia for another Native-American Civ, but oh well, white-washing it is! Even more Civs would be nice, but oh well, not rly bothered.

I am ready for Civ 6 to move on to Civ 7 to be honest :shrug:

j51 and AriaLyric like this.
  12. Noble Zarkon

I'm just about to try this!

13. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

I am with you mate. I haven't even watch proper zombie movie apart from Zombiland (largely because of Stone and Eisenberg). Let's hope it's about Red Death.
    I wonder how they will rename Lisbon CS.

14. Myomoto

Myomoto King

I'll wait to judge Portugal until I see their abilities, it could go either way for me. If it's just a boring design relying on trading posts from trade routes, then yea... :undecide:

I think the only way I would play with a zombie mode is if it's a kind of endgame crisis, where several different scenarios could happen. One is a viral zombie outbreak, another could be alien invasion (with some nice x-com crossover). Another could be a mole people invasion, I don't know :think:

Anyway, if it's really just a mode to make zombie military units or whatever then no thanks. Finally it may just be achievements for Red Death (I still didn't play a single game of it...).

15. LMT

LMT Warlord

I like the fact that Portugal is coming. I hope they have the Feitoria as I thought that was a somewhat interesting building from Civ V.

From a historical perspective, I don't see how they can be ignored as one of Europe's more influential civs. I mean, were they not at the forefront of a true global economy?

Also, isn't there a new map coming in this update? Maybe there will be a new mode tied to that. Some expansion/colonization/trade mode tied to an economic victory? I know, I'm just dreaming--zombies seem more likely.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
  16. raen

raen Coat of Arms

I hope for Macau, where the feature of immune to trade plunder can make sense also.

Navelgazer likes this.
  17. MrRadar

MrRadar Emperor

Portugal - yay!
    Zombies - why?

18. Pistol90

Pistol90 Prince

Omg, zombies ??? this stupidity simply wont stop ...

At least Portugal is good news, still I am left with no Austria and USA native american civ.

Ondolindë likes this.
  19. Karmah

Karmah Emperor Supporter

Is it weird that I think this actually sounds kinda fun ;)

Hellenism Salesman likes this.
  20. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

I think the Cree took iroquois abilities. Replace "mekewap" with "longhouse" and you otherwise have a reasonable iroquois civ. Though yeah, a war civ would be very reasonable too. The existence of Cree in the game would have given them a chance to break out of the mold.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
    8housesofelixir likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.