[NFP] Portugal is the last NFP Civilization confirmed. Also... Zombies??!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke William of Normandy

King of England & Unofficial Welcoming Committee
Firaxis has accidentally released the Steam Achievements for the March Pack, revealing Joao III will lead Portugal, as well as some hints about the new Mode. It apparently has something to do with zombies...

https://imgur.com/a/acubiUU

Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 3.45.46 PM.png

Anyway, what are your thoughts on this?

Portugal definitely one of the more requested civs, so should be fun to see what they give them. Zombies? Meh, probably another mode I'll never use.

Portugal being in here to me hints at it being less likely we see future civs after this pack, since there's almost no series staples left that haven't made it in, so harder for them to choose a true headliner civ for the next pack/pass. But still definitely feels like some open spots on the map especially for native NA and some parts of Asia and Africa, so if they liked what NFP did, they could easily still do a "mini-next-NFP", with 3-4 civs and another 3-4 game modes or so in theory.

Portugal definitely one of the more requested civs, so should be fun to see what they give them. Zombies? Meh, probably another mode I'll never use.

Portugal being in here to me hints at it being less likely we see future civs after this pack, since there's almost no series staples left that haven't made it in, so harder for them to choose a true headliner civ for the next pack/pass. But still definitely feels like some open spots on the map especially for native NA and some parts of Asia and Africa, so if they liked what NFP did, they could easily still do a "mini-next-NFP", with 3-4 civs and another 3-4 game modes or so in theory.
The Iroquois is the one staple still not yet in the game. I think.

The male leader is a bit of a shock. But Portugal is not unexpected. It sounds designed towards trade and luxury resources.
Indeed. Firaxis is subverting expectations better than Rise of Skywalker did.

The Iroquois is the one staple still not yet in the game. I think.
They've been in the game twice so not exactly a staple. I think this is a firm signal that NFP is the end of Civ6, as I suspected it would be.

The Iroquois were in two non-consecutive iterations. I wouldn't consider them a series regular until they appear one more time.
They've been in the game twice so not exactly a staple. I think this is a firm signal that NFP is the end of Civ6, as I suspected it would be.
I knew something was wrong... Shoot.

Hey, it may just be something tied to a new Health mechanic.

But they chose to include zombies...
Somewhat disappointed as @kaspergm is, but not too upset. Just wish that they could keep the zombies out of it. Hey, modders, think you can do that for us??!! Please and Thank You!!

I mean Portugal has only been three times so idk if you could also say "Staple" civ like Babylon or Egypt (same logic applies to Iroquois, of course but you get my point)
True. I think it's more of a popular Civ than a staple Civ, as you said.

I mean Portugal has only been three times so idk if you could also say "Staple" civ like Babylon or Egypt (same logic applies to Iroquois, of course but you get my point)

Aye, but Portugal's three appearances have been consecutive and apply to the most recent three iterations. It's a lot less sketchy than appearing in just two of the three odd-numbered iterations.

Bored and disappointed would be my general feelings. Looks like a trade focused civ, which is fine, but there isn't a lot good economic gameplay in Civ6 so even if there are some interesting abilities I can't say I'm necessarily looking forward to playing as Portugal.

As for zombies, I am personally exhausted by the mere concept so any kind of mode with zombies is an instant never play for me. If the final game mode does involve zombie then the modes will be an interesting failure to me. I really only like Societies but have grown bored with it recently. The lack integration into the core gameplay combined with the AI's complete inability to properlyfunction with the modes on really holds them back.

As for more Civ6, I'm generally of the opinion that the NFP is probably the last "major" add-on. I could see individual civ DLC that were available with the game base, a wonder/city-pack or a something along those lines coming out but, either way, I really hope Firaxis is clear about what's next in April and doesn't leave the fanbase in the dark.

Aye, but Portugal's three appearances have been consecutive and apply to the most recent three iterations. It's a lot less sketchy than appearing in just two of the three odd-numbered iterations.
Good arguments on both sides... Maybe I should consider being neutral here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom