[NFP] Portugal Reveal Video Discussion

Love them. As a Veniceboo in Civ V, I'm all for naval civs with lots of trade routes. Since I like the history of sciences too, making Portugal a semi-science civ is also everything to love. Sincerely, this civ would probably become my new main.

This civ shows a problem with the game. If you play as them as the human player, you will always chose a map that is perfect for it. Just as when you take the Mongols, you'll want a plains Pangaea, or a wet forested world with Vietnam.

And the result being that the random civs thrown onto that will never fit properly. It's probably most interesting to do an archipelago game just with other naval civs: Maori, Vikings, Phoenicia, Indonesia, Japan, and so on. And then put Gaul in the middle... Well.

I like the civ, but it shows that in the next game, they need to make the uniques more evolutionary, connected to the map and arising from the gameplay style. I think.

I have a crazy idea, inspired by Humankind.
In Humankind, you start as an unidentified tribe, and after some time you can choose your first civ. It goes well with the system of changing cultures over eras, but I think it could work with Civ as well.
Like, you start as a tribe, then after some time (gathering some points or tokens to allow you to become a full civ), you can choose which civ you got, making you less restart-reliant. Of course, choosing over 58 possible leaders might be a hassle, so why not this:
You start as a tribe exploring your surroundings, and each time you discover something new, it would unlock civs that you might choose from when you're ready to settle your first city. For example, discovering coast would allow you to choose Phoenicia, Indonesia, Dutch, Portugal, Spain, England ; finding 4 mountains would unlock the Incas or the Mapuches; finding your third river would unlock the Dutch, Egyptians, Hungarians ; a desert for Nubia and Mali, tundra for RUssia or Canada, rainforests for Kongo or Brazil, plantation-resources for Mayas and GC, horses for Mongolia and Scythia, pastures-resources for Australia, large appeal tiles for America, city-States for Hungary, Greece, Georgia or Sumer... Some civ would be available right at the beginning (like Rome), each civ would have several "unlocking" elements to ensure that everybody could play them, and such.
It would ensure that you don't have such a crippling start for your civ (a landlocked Portugal, a rainforest Mali, a plains Incas), and would alleviate the restarting strategy.

Crazy idea, of course, but might be a new way of thinking Civ VII and brings novelty. Each new iteration has to bring something new: Civ V brings the hexagonal tiles, Civ VI the districts system, Civ VII could begin with a tribal stage? Humankind is full of wonderful ideas and there is nothing wrong with being inspired by others. That's how competition works, after all (and, anyway, I think most Civ players would become HK players, and just because Civ VII begins with a tribal era would not prevent HK player to play it I think...)

\
The unique university looks super interesting, and I really like the feitoria, although I doubt it's that historically accurate to have it be desirable for Portugal to come set them up in your territory :lol:
It is desirable... for Portugal. :p

I can slightly hear Joao III speak in the video. Can anyone who speaks Portuguese confirm if the VA is a good choice?

One thing I'm not clear on--how will the Alchemist society affect this unique building?

I've never used the Alchemists with Arabia, so I'm not sure.

Did not catch that part maybe if you get that video part.
From 0:00 to 0:18 and from 2:17 to 2:26. I think those are good places to hear his voice.

From 0:00 to 0:18 and from 2:17 to 2:26. I think those are good places to hear his voice.

I not good for a spy, since my ears can´t break apart two sounds at the same time, or my eyes can't read out lips lol
Ask me when comes out :p

Looks like no Portuguese themes today :sad:.

I guess on Monday, then?
Yep, it will be on Monday, if the Civ 6 team observes their calendars and previous release schedules correctly.

reuse animation of frederick barbarossa. And model too. i am okay about body positive ... but .. Joao III
Well, being fatter back then didn't have as many negative connotations as it does today. Being fat showed you were wealthy, powerful, and generally better off than other people.

Last edited:
The thing with soundtrack releases in NFP is that previous release schedules here are all over the place, different by about every bi-monthly pack :p
But! I did a little video research and found that for every Pack that contained only one Leader, the Music for the Civilization would be released four days later. Go check it out on the official Civilization channel and see for yourself.

Has anyone ever heard "Portugal" pronounced that way before?
She's making an attempt at pronouncing it in Portuguese, but it's not correct. Native English speakers lack a lot of the phonemes used in Portuguese, such as the trilled r, so it's never going to sound right without some practice.

It's too difficult to hear, maybe someone with sound editing software can isolate and amplify it.

I shamelessly nicked this picture from the wikipedia article about the Portugese Empire.

I suspect you're right about Macau, but Malacca can't be discounted as a possibility either.
Are these all Portuguese colonies? If so, would they replace Lisbon with another city that will probably wind up being on Portugal's city list?

Are these all Portuguese colonies? If so, would they replace Lisbon with another city that will probably wind up being on Portugal's city list?
They're less of Colonies and more of Cities where Portugal has high influence and traded in but didn't really own. I think, I might have to check later.

Well, back then, being fatter back then didn't have as many negative connotations as it does today. Being fat showed you were wealthy, powerful, and generally better off than other people.
He's not fat, he's rubenesque.

There is still something quite off with his overweightedness, and I understood why: Jayavarman VII, Qin Shi Huangdi and Mansa Mussa are all on the... plump side, let's say, but it's their underbelly that's more prominentjust above the belt. João III, on the other hand, looks like he's been inflated with helium.

I still consider his model to be one of the best and definitely one of my favourite.

Top Bottom