[NFP] Portugal Reveal Video Discussion

*cries in Maya, Ethiopian, Byzantine, Gaulish, and Kublai Khan*
Most of the effort, I meant. Sorry, guys... Wait... Why is Gran Colombia not there?

Most of the effort, I meant. Sorry, guys... Wait... Why is Gran Colombia not there?
Because honestly I don't care how accurately they portray postcolonial nations; they can have Canada led by a Mountie chugging maple syrup as far as I'm concerned. :p And Vietnam is missing because Vietnam and Ba Trieu are actually pretty decent. :p

Because honestly I don't care how accurately they portray postcolonial nations; they can have Canada led by a Mountie chugging maple syrup as far as I'm concerned. :p And Vietnam is missing because Vietnam and Ba Trieu are actually pretty decent. :p
I know Vietnam and Ba Trieu were decent, that's why I also didn't mention them. :p Mayas are pretty good design-wise, could use a few patches here and there, Lady Six Sky just needs a better VA and a little art pass, but otherwise, pretty solid.

Yeah, the Atomic (and even many of the Industrial) themes are just too bombastic. Instead of era music I'd like to see Civ7 just offer a greater variety of music.

As a sucker for romantic music (and by romantic I mean the academic term), in love with the full-blown orchestras of Rossini, Offenbach and Dvorak, I need to confess that my favourite themes are the bombastic ones of the industrial atomic one. It's no surprise that my favourite musics are the industrial/atomic themes of Brazil, Scotland, Hungary and Russia. Give me explosions of symphonies, of melodies, where the magnificence of all the orchestra is blowing in all directions, collected in my ears in an orgasmic delight (because, I have no shame to admit it, I had musical orgasms with Brejeiro, Scotland the Brave, Kalinka and Cinege Cinege in their later eras versions).

Also, I know I might be lapidated by @Zaarin for saying this, but I love Waltzing Matilda, especially in the later eras...

As a sucker for romantic music (and by romantic I mean the academic term), in love with the full-blown orchestras of Rossini, Offenbach and Dvorak, I need to confess that my favourite themes are the bombastic ones of the industrial atomic one. It's no surprise that my favourite musics are the industrial/atomic themes of Brazil, Scotland, Hungary and Russia. Give me explosions of symphonies, of melodies, where the magnificence of all the orchestra is blowing in all directions
That makes sense. Conversely, I'm not a huge fan of Romantic music as a whole (though I do love Grieg and Dvořak); I much prefer Baroque (especially Vivaldi and Bach). And most of the music I listen to outside of gaming is folk/bluegrass/acoustic singer-songwriter/Americana so it makes sense I'd like the more pared down Ancient and Medieval themes.

Also, I know I might be lapidated by @Zaarin for saying this, but I love Waltzing Matilda, especially in the later eras...
I don't hate "Waltzing Matilda"; I hate the didgeridoos. :p Speaking of, bring tissues.

While this discussion about music had been enlightening, let's please get back on topic, thanks.

Last edited:
As a sucker for romantic music (and by romantic I mean the academic term), in love with the full-blown orchestras of Rossini, Offenbach and Dvorak, I need to confess that my favourite themes are the bombastic ones of the industrial atomic one. It's no surprise that my favourite musics are the industrial/atomic themes of Brazil, Scotland, Hungary and Russia. Give me explosions of symphonies, of melodies, where the magnificence of all the orchestra is blowing in all directions, collected in my ears in an orgasmic delight (because, I have no shame to admit it, I had musical orgasms with Brejeiro, Scotland the Brave, Kalinka and Cinege Cinege in their later eras versions).

I like it in moderation, you need rests between the big scores, if its nothing but loud music it just turns to white noise for me. Thats the main issue I have with late game Civ 6 music. Portugals is pretty good though. One thing they dont seem to upload is some civs have bonus tracks that are not part of the era theme but just get played occasionaly if they are in the game. Sadly they also seem to vanish later on in the game.

I like it in moderation, you need rests between the big scores, if its nothing but loud music it just turns to white noise for me. Thats the main issue I have with late game Civ 6 music. Portugals is pretty good though. One thing they dont seem to upload is some civs have bonus tracks that are not part of the era theme but just get played occasionaly if they are in the game. Sadly they also seem to vanish later on in the game.
Those would be ambient tracks. I would recommend visiting a YouTube channel called Peaches Lamb - apart from uploading the four main themes, he also uploads these ambient themes for each civ as well.

Here, have an example of one of my absolute favourite ambients in the game.

Portugal music is awesome-sounds like something I'm not going to get annoyed with anytime soon (*Sideglance at Canada*). Surprisingly, I really like the ancient/medieval themes and VERY phrygian-they a fit Portuguese civ perfectly. Industrial themes are almost always my favorite as I love the romantically-bombastic orchestration and while I also love Portugal's industrial theme...those ancient/medieval bangers are just so perfect. Really looking forward to the next 500 hours playing as them lmao.

It's funny to hear everybody's music preferences in Civ! I think most people agree that the Atomic era themes are pretty weak...often times I'll just put on the Industrial themes on my phone's spotify to keep those incredible themes going while I finish the game. I just really hate both autotune and overly-synthed music so Atomic just feels like a bastardization of such incredible buildup through the other 3 eras. I hope Civ VII keeps this style of music cause...man it's good! But I would be fine if they cut out the Atomic music altogether to save on costs. Hire more violists and trumpets > more DJs lmao

Lol one of my favorite themes in the game is the Industrial version of Waltzing Matilda. It's just...*chefs kisses*...and the orchestration is much better than the medieval/ancient themes for Australia which tbh are kinda annoying at times.

Industrial is pretty nice for an Industrial theme (it's nice to feel like I don't have a trumpeter playing directly into my ear :p ), but I'm still Team Pre-Industrial. :p

As a trumpet player (On the side) I'm offended by this comment. I'd imagine you probably hate the opening to Vietnam's industrial theme then while it's one of my favorites of the NFP XD

To be fair my favorite theme in the game is Industrial/Atomic Era Cree. The mixture of the orchestra and the Cree chanting to me is spectacular. I think many of the themes with vocals to compliment the later themes are my favorite, except Atomic auto-tune Zulu. :shifty:

[The Ottomans have entered the chat]

I totally agree and the Georgian, Ottoman, Zulu, Maori, and more are all phenomenal for having the chanting intermixed with the orchestration. I do think it drops off considerably with the Atomic era but like you said...there are some decent ones there with you beloved Cree being the only one that immediately comes to mind.

Those would be ambient tracks. I would recommend visiting a YouTube channel called Peaches Lamb - apart from uploading the four main themes, he also uploads these ambient themes for each civ as well.

Here, have an example of one of my absolute favourite ambients in the game.

Yeah some of them are fantastic and that one is very catchy. I like The Netherlands ambient tracks too they remind me of Civ IV. I just don't understand why they dissapear in favour of constant industrial/atomic by the end.

As a trumpet player (On the side) I'm offended by this comment. I'd imagine you probably hate the opening to Vietnam's industrial theme then while it's one of my favorites of the NFP XD
No hate for trumpets--I'd just like to be a few yards away from the trumpeter instead of a few inches. :p (And yes, I hate the opening to Vietnam's Industrial theme, though the rest of it is pretty good. :p )

I've genuinely been wondering about this, because I love "Waltzing Matilda" and never understood where the Australia Music shade was coming from. It all makes sense now.
Yeah, it's the didgeridoos for me. They make the hair on the back of my neck stand up and send a shiver down my spine. :sad:

Not to get too off topic, but I just wanted to say that Prismatic was mostly created to get around the 'invisible city banner' problem, which is why there's so many more colors (and thus a less 'cohesive' palette) than BCC, since it needed to provide a potential unique color for 63 civs.

Back to Portugal, however, it just so happens I'm looking for some input on their unique-color jersey (their primary jersey will still be Blue-on-White) for Prismatic; if any of you have a preference, let me know! Options below:
View attachment 590566

(This will be their Jersey #2; Jerseys 3 and 4 are currently red-on-dark green and white-on-blue)

I have a suggestion here:
Portugal.png

While we're back on the topic of jerseys, I'm just really hoping we get one that looks something like this (sorry, I know it looks bad, all I have access to is the fill button on MS Paint).
preferedportuguesejersey.png

Basically, going off the base game jerseys, Māori background red for the background, Brazil background green for the foreground.

While we're back on the topic of jerseys, I'm just really hoping we get one that looks something like this (sorry, I know it looks bad, all I have access to is the fill button on MS Paint).
View attachment 591157
Basically, going off the base game jerseys, Māori background red for the background, Brazil background green for the foreground.
I'm expecting a combination of red and green after the white and dark blue colors. Though they most likely will do the dark green as it's similar to Portugal's current flag.

I'm expecting a combination of red and green after the white and dark blue colors. Though they most likely will do the dark green as it's similar to Portugal's current flag.
I'm just hoping that if they go for a candy red and dark green combo, they don't make the green the background color. I prefer to have my city banners be readable :p

Top Bottom