[NFP] Portugal Reveal Video Discussion

Portugal is a legit civ for naval players like me. I'm really looking forward to playing with them.

But something is a fact: Portugal will be the richest civ in the game. With so much gold and trade routes, Portugal will be able to do whatever it wants.

I'd just like Netherlands to have this absurd impulse in gold too, maybe next month it can be balanced.

Just one small question: Which City-State is going to replace Lisbon? :p
Hoping for another Asian city-state, as that region is severely lacking.

As usual, the animations never disappoint. Even if I don't always like it, the art team at Firaxis never fails to amaze me with their quality work.
Well they definitely did with Kublai - he was practically wooden!

Soooo, owls of minerva is of course the logical choice but how would this work with hermetic order's Alchemical Society?

Secret Society unique buildings override any unique buildings civs have so Portugal would get the Alchemical Society and not have access to the Navigation School.

I like the design. Wasn't too excited about the addition of Portugal specifically but this is gonna add some interesting gameplay.

This does not scale well for the number of players though... Maybe trade route bonus yields should scale to the numbet of players in the game? Multiplayer is going to be a game of whack-a-mole vs Portugese traders...

I'll be fair, I like his outfit and the detailing. All of it is obviously very well made.

Something about the face though... I don't know. Looks off. Maybe its the rosiness of his face? His lips? His oddly curved nose? The strange rectangular shape of it? I can't pin it down but there's something that is unsettling.
The smile at 2:19 in the video is a bit unsettling. Maybe it's his wide mouth that looks uncannily realistic in that particular pose.

...But I think this is a fantastic leader model, perhaps one of the best in the game. Very expressive, fluid, and natural animations, great detail on the model itself. Contrast Joao with Simon Bolivar. It's a huge difference.

The civ is going to be rather doodoo on non-water maps but it's worth noting that it seems domestic trade routes are unaffected by the civ ability, and so you can still use up your trade route slots with them if you or the other civs are landlocked.

Also kind of funny is that Feitorias can be built on lake tiles, but it's going to be pretty difficult to get them on one. You'd have to enter a lake adjacent coastal land through an allied city centre or a canal to manage the feat.

Something about the face though... I don't know. Looks off. Maybe its the rosiness of his face? His lips? His oddly curved nose? The strange rectangular shape of it? I can't pin it down but there's something that is unsettling.

He looks like he dipped his nose in olive oil, but other than that I really like the model.

As for the playstyle, this looks pretty interesting. I pretty much guessed the Feitoria as unique improvement for the Nau, though it's got nothing to do with amenities. Never expected a science building though.

Love the asymmetrical design. I'm hoping they introduce some of that into other Civs in the April patch.
---

Finally,

"Feitorias cannot be removed."

LET THE TROLLING COMMENCE!

More and stronger trade routes means Portugal should be a good all-rounder civ.

I am a bit surprised by the science-focused UB. It looks like Diplomatic and Science would be the preferred victory types. Of course, you can always go domination on a naval map, especially with the bonus production to naval units, but it's a bit anti-synergistic with most of the other abilities.

Does anyone know what Porta de Cerco could mean? All I found was an area in Macau controlled by Portugal. Maybe that's what it references?

That's not at all how Joao is meant to be pronounced, yes? Who were all the people waiting for Sean Bean to mispronounce it, too? :p
To be honest, this time I think Sarah did a pretty good job, the only discrepancy is that the 'ã' should be stressed and more nasalized? Something like that? It's been a while since I've been learing Portuguese and linguistics, so I don't know if anything of this makes any sense. But the pronunciation didn't strike me as completely wrong. It wasn't "Joe", so...

Just one small question: Which City-State is going to replace Lisbon? :p

I know we were joking about it in another thread, but Lisbon's bonus would be themetic with Port Royal. If you suze them, the pirates work for you!

Could you technically use the Feitoria to block enemy players of building wonders next to their harbors, if there are luxury resources nearby?
As @AntSou said, you can't remove Feitorias. Also as @AntSou said:

LET THE TROLLING COMMENCE!

I really love Portugal's design, their toolset fits very well with my usual gameplay. In non-Pangea games, they might be even considered somewhat OP as you will drown in Gold and Science by the middle game and the malus does almost nothing to balance it.

One innocent question: how are the Feitora yields accounted for? It seems that the original civ retains tile ownership, so will they be able to enjoy the yields as well or wil that tile become unworkable for them? Also, are the Feitora yields linked to one of your cities or are they just added to your output?

Does anyone know what Porta de Cerco could mean? All I found was an area in Macau controlled by Portugal. Maybe that's what it references?
It makes sense when considering part of the ability is open borders with city-states and Macau is essentially a city-state in the same vein as Hong Kong. Macau confirmed

Top Bottom