1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Portugal Reveal Video Discussion

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Duke William of Normandy, Mar 18, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Current game as Portugal I have Egypt nearby. Those trade routes are sweet. What other civs give bonuses to the sender? I can't seem to remember. Cree? Netherlands?

2. Duke William of Normandy

Duke William of Normandy King of England & Unofficial Welcoming Committee

The Netherlands doesn't give benefits to other Civilizations.

https://civilization.fandom.com/wiki/Wilhelmina_(Civ6)

3. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

We were actually talking about on the rebalance thread of the possibility of making "Radio Oranje" better by giving bonuses to the sender. It would at least give other civilizations an incentive to trade with the Netherlands other than a threat of whacking you with a parasol. :shifty:

4. Zaarin

Zaarin Diplomatic Attaché to Londo Mollari

I mean, that's a threat to be taken seriously. :shifty:

5. King William I

King William I King

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the modern term 'factory' orginate from 'manufactory' which would make that and feitoria two homophones?

6. nunor

nunor King

Homophones are words that sound the same. Was that what you meant?

7. Abaxial

Abaxial King

Two things I notice on a first game with Portugal:

You can't actually send a trade route to a feitoria, if the city controlling the resource is inland. This doesn't seem right.

Sailing a nau in to establish a feitoria can trigger the awful "move your troops away" message. I do wish they would kill this.

Trading posts are different things, and much more common, since they are much humbler affairs, and can be just a small clutch of buildings. Factories were often fortified naval bases (think Calcutta and Madras).

8housesofelixir likes this.
  8. King William I

King William I King

No, but I was running in very little sleep. My question if the modern term 'factory' had nothing to do with colonial factories

9. Duke William of Normandy

Wait, I have something better. Jew III.:shifty:

10. Hakan-i Cihan

Hakan-i Cihan Emperor

That would be quite inapproriate, considering the Portuguese inquisition started under the rule of Joao III.

11. Duke William of Normandy

That's why the shifty emote is there. :lol: I know it's inappropriate, which is exactly why I suggested it. :p

Hakan-i Cihan likes this.
  12. Hakan-i Cihan

Hakan-i Cihan Emperor

I was expecting it, but still wasn't sure...

13. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

Feitorias were fortified "trading posts", which is what pre-Industrial factories were. Of course that doesn't mean they didn't have functions of a naval base either.
    That's the whole reason why they add yield to trade routes when you send them to a city with one. :crazyeye:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factory_(trading_post)

Yet I founded Judaism with Portugal in my game. :mischief:

Zaarin likes this.
  14. Hakan-i Cihan

Hakan-i Cihan Emperor

Just to mind you: the Portuguese inquisition works different now... :rolleyes:

Alexander's Hetaroi likes this.
  15. Menocchio

Menocchio Warlord

Yes and no. They both have the same Latin root in facere, but different etymological trees, making them doublets: "factory" as a place where people work and things are built comes from manufactory (as in, manus+facere, literally "hand-made"), while "factory" as in the trading post comes from their being overseen by a person called a "factor" with the -y denoting that it's a place for them. Manufactory arose around the 17th century, became common in the 18th, and by the 19th century transformed into simply "factory" and the older connotation of a trading post became secondary.

16. nunor

nunor King

Do you have any source to back that up? Asking genuinely, since the online etymology dictionary doesn't say any of that.

17. Menocchio

Menocchio Warlord

Here are links for trading post "factory" from Latin "factor" per OED: https://www.lexico.com/definition/factory ; https://www.lexico.com/definition/factor
    The Online Etymology Dictionary has this: https://www.etymonline.com/word/factory but I always consider that site with a few grains of salt because it's essentially the brainchild of an English-language nerd, not an actual work of linguistics by linguists.

For "manufactory," you can see it being used in the 19th century in documents like this one, which obviously describes what we'd now call just a factory: https://www.historyofroyalwomen.com.../queen-victoria-in-her-journal-2-august-1832/
    I was a bit hasty in saying it'd wholly become "factory" by the 19th century, but then again this is the young Queen-to-be Victoria so her language usage would be different obviously from common people. Compare Charles Dickens' Hard Times from 1854, in which we can see a definite use of "factory" having evolved from "manufactory" and describing the same kind of thing (an industrial workplace); note especially the reference to hands, capitalised - intentional reference to the etymological root of manus, perhaps? https://www.gutenberg.org/files/786/786-h/786-h.htm#page69

18. Zaarin

Zaarin Diplomatic Attaché to Londo Mollari

Me, too. :lol:

Alexander's Hetaroi likes this.