[NFP] Portugal Reveal Video Discussion

I wonder if other civilisations can remove feitorias? Because if not, I can imagine they'll be really annoying when it comes to wonder/harbour placement.

I'm actually a little disappointed. Trade route income is so critical in the game, and they simply removed the ability to make land trade routes. If you're on the wrong map, or the game just doesn't spawn coastal CSs or the AI doesn't build coastal cities, you could be royally screwed. The Navigation School and sea-based UU also are all-in on coastal game play. I play most of my game on seven seas maps, and even then, I routinely run into scenarios where the AI simply doesn't build on the coast and I can easily build the coastal wonders 3 or even 4 eras late. Why they chose to design this one-trick pony that's absolutely broken on some maps and absolutely crippled on others, I just don't understand. You'd almost want to turn them off for certain maps because they'd never get off the ground.

And then there's the issue of the feitoria trolling, where you could literally block someone's harbor adjacencies they might be saving for coastal wonders.

I like the music, like the leader's art, and don't necessarily mind having Portugal in the game, but this implementation doesn't leave me all that excited.

The target city needs to be on a coast or have a harbor to start an international route. You will get several free route slots at the beginning just for meeting civs. And you can still run unrestricted domestic routes too.
Ah I missed the qualifiers "international". OK, maybe it's not so terrible at Highlands, and the start is fine...

Power crawl is real. Portugal looks fun to play. I hope for the April update (they said it's a big one) for better naval play across the board and balance buffs to others as mentioned multiple times here.
If you use all your trade routes on water not much roadbuilding going on I'd say.

If Feitorias can't be removed they still can be pillaged right? :satan: They should grant major loot and be priority targets for AI...

As someone with significant Portuguese ancestry, I greatly approve of this civ's portrayal. Probably gonna be my favorite civ in the whole game, to be honest.

EDIT: Just realized that Joao III kind of looks like an obese version of my older brother :p

Hmm, should they add Portugal as an enemy in the Pirates scenario?
I don't think Portugal had any colonies in the area except Brazil.

Two things:

88(!) Gold on a single route! That’s obscene. Sea Mali indeed.

Also, the navigation school is also nuts. It means if you can find a 2+ tile island, you could generate some seriously high amounts of science in cities anyone else would just get the population science and culture.

If I understood correctly, you get 1 extra science per two coastal or lake tiles, so a 2 tile island with a city and university would provide an extra 5 science. Nice, but not huuuge. Add in a few more 1 hex islands tho and it is easy to imagine +10 or more.

Also, as I said, the Portugal music SLAPS.

Thoughts:

1. Wasn't expecting the navigation university replacement (I wish it was a library replacement since we already have the Madrasa) but it looks ok-makes settling on coast/lake really viable.

2. Feitorias look fun...Oh damn does that mean that you could place Feitoria's next to a harbor tile? Maybe where one of your competitors could be trying to build a wonder? So now you can wonder/district block other civs! Seriously building YOUR improvements in other civs/city states territories is nuts and adds a whole new level of strategy. "NO ONE builds Torre de Belem on my watch" XD

Also the trade route bonuses-while I'm sad that it's only for international trade routes-is looking to be broken. TOWARDS ALL YIELDS. Imagine with Kumasi and, like they said, with all the policy cards. Nevermind that they get (Potentially) the largest amount of free trade route capacity we've seen...just play on huge with 15 civs like I do XD

Portugal WILL be the civ I main for sure. I've been wanting a civ to play like this since Spain back in vanilla and after 5 years, we finally got one!!

Top Bottom