1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Portugal Reveal Video Discussion

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Duke William of Normandy, Mar 18, 2021.

Tags:
  1. DogeEnricoDandolo

DogeEnricoDandolo King

Comandante Generals are technically unique civilian unit, since Great People are a subclass of civilian.

Bosque, CoconutTank, Meluhhan and 9 others like this.
  2. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

Another interesting side effect of the choice of João III is we have another pair of leaders who really interacted. Mvemba Nzinga / Afonso I wrote extensively to João and his predecessor Manuel to complain about the Portuguese slave trade.

Meluhhan, Kimiimaro, Jkchart and 12 others like this.
  3. Hellenism Salesman

Hellenism Salesman Prince

True!

I'm just sad we never got to see any unique traders, settlers, builders, military engineers, or heck- even unique religious units.

The Commandante Generals are technically a civilian unit, but being unique Great Generals that means they're still bound to combat.

4. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Emperor

Qin Shi Huang and Montezuma's builders might not be presented as a unique unit for their respective Civs, but it's one in all but name.

Hawke9 and Hellenism Salesman like this.
  5. raen

raen Coat of Arms

Sure :)

6. Wielki Hegemon

Wielki Hegemon Emperor

Yeap. Add a reef title Isles of Galapagos on Archipelago Map and you may say screw this planet, let's go space.

7. Duke William of Normandy

Duke William of Normandy King of England & Unofficial Welcoming Committee

Just need to add Brazil to the map, and you're good to go.

raen likes this.
  8. Hellenism Salesman

Hellenism Salesman Prince

Plus, Philip can now be in the same game as his uncle, Joao. Who is also his father-in-law. And first cousin once removed.

mitsho, Kimiimaro, Meluhhan and 7 others like this.
  9. Kmart_Elvis

Kmart_Elvis King

I'm pretty happy they're ending NFP with this civ. Someone called them a "Sea Mali" which I think is a pretty apt description, but unlike Mali, their malus doesn't seem as limiting. Sure, they're absolutely OP on water maps but heavily gimped on land-heavy (highlands, pangaea,etc) but I'm perfectly fine with that, since I would only play this civ on a water map anyways to take full advantage of them.

+1 trade route for every civ you meet is a bonkers bonus! It's pretty powerful yet easy to activate. Plus their whole kit has wonderful synergy. +1 sight makes exploration easier. Their campus gives production towards naval units. They get +1 trade route to civs, but they get 50% yields to coastal cities AND they have extended range so you can get to them. They can build feitorias in city states which is great because you get open borders with city-states to begin with!

A strong generalist civ which throws money towards it's intended victory type. And, if I may say, looks like a great contender for an OCC. All of their bonuses can be leveraged fully even with one city. That's the closest thing we'll get to Venice in Civ VI!

10. MrRadar

MrRadar Emperor

Well, Mansa Musa gets ****olded - his beloved Gold is gonna cheat on him with another man :)
    And Portugal does not even get those horrible production penalties. From now on, if somebody buys the world, it will be Joao III.

As for his representation, he's magnificent, although I could have mistaken him for a bearded woman for a sec - all that fur and lace - Wilhelmina must look on with envy :)

And let's compare this with Spain's trade routes, for Spain: Trade Routes between cities on different continents gain +1 Food and +1 Production for domestic Trade Routes, and +6 Gold for international Trade Routes. Yes, between those two Philip II is the pauper.

That will be a fun month until the Great Balance Patch in April. With the caveat that zombies don't get us all by that time...

Moderator Action: Removed broken image links. ~ LK

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2021
  11. Duke William of Normandy

When can we start the next Leader Elimination Thread? :mischief: I want to see where Portugal ends up.

SirMediocrity and Kmart_Elvis like this.
  12. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Emperor

It might be better to wait into the next patch, since we know it will include quite a lot of Civ/Leaders balance changes.

13. DogeEnricoDandolo

DogeEnricoDandolo King

Just a shoutout that in order for a Trade Route to be qualified as sea Trade Route, the first tile it touches has to be a water tile or a Canal, so inland cities with a Harbor most likely won't get the extended sea trade route range.
    The asymmetric factor doesn't seem significant at all, so I guess this is not the best asymmetric design. Technically you cannot trade with cities of on the same landmass without that are inland, but you can always trade with ones on other landmasses since they would want a Harbor anyway. Normally Traders have to change from water to land or vice versa at a Harbor, so the requirement of the destination being on the coast or has a Harbor is the same for every other civs. Normally, the Harbor has to be in between of the 2 city centers for the trader to change from sea to land. I think building the Harbors on the opposite of Portuguese land will prevent them from sending you trade routes? Maybe?

14. nunor

nunor King

Kind of ironic that the man who reformed and re-founded the University of Coimbra (a non-coastal city, I might add) is left without Universities. :lol:

Unfairly so -- and if you're a History teacher, you should know better.

João III gets a bad rap among the average Portuguese because of the Inquisition, but the truth is that he was a true Humanist, the only truly Humanist king Portugal had.
    He basically founded the University of Coimbra, he sent the most promising Portuguese minds to study Humanities and Sciences in Paris.
    He introduced the modern Italian Renaissance style in Portugal's art and architecture, and sent the most promising artists and architects to study in Rome (way before Spain and France did).
    Under his patronage, the Arts flourished like never before in Portugal: the most skilful painters, architects, and poets of Portugal's history, all found support in him.

Ever heard of Francisco de Holanda, friend of Michelangelo and the writer of the first treatise on portrait painting in Europe? He was João's protege.
    João de Barros, the first great Portuguese historian and grammarian of the Portuguese language? Also João's protege.
    The Renaissance cloisters of the Convent of Christ in Tomar, considered a masterpiece of mannerist architecture? João III ordered their construction.
    Pedro Nunes, the greatest Portuguese scientist and mathematician of all time? Guess who appointed him chief-cosmographer of the kingdom, professor of Maths and Astronomy in the University of Coimbra, and tutor of his own children, the princes of Portugal?

Oh, and there's one obscure poet who was upbrought in João's court, one Luís de Camões... you probably never heard of him.

Hell, even Erasmus of Rotterdam himself dedicated one of his works to João III, praising his Humanistic values and patronage of Science and Art. I'll let the old Erasmus speak for himself:

"As soon as you [João III] ascended to the throne, you reorganized the judicial administration which was corrupted by the greed of advocates. You raised the salaries of the scholars. You made navigation safe by way of a very well-equipped navy. You cleaned your dominions of all chaff. And not only did you sponsor and patronize professors and students alike, in all fields of knowledge, mainly Theology, you yourself did learn Greek and Latin, and you are most learned in Mathematics, Astronomy, Science, Geography, and History, which is the main philosophy of kings."

As for the introduction of the Inquisition... The man was getting daily reports of rising unrest, riots and bloodshed in Central Europe because of religious dissidence. He did what he thought he had to do to secure peace in his kingdom. Wouldn't you have done the same?

(rant over)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    Bosque, Haig, untitledjuan and 15 others like this.
  15. SirMediocrity

SirMediocrity Warlord

Maybe we should wait for the DLC to come out :p

16. sonicmyst

sonicmyst Emperor

I am surprised by this science and gold civ! And very unique as well. So either we do domestic trade routes (if we spawn too far from coast, but I suppose this has start bias on coast) or we spam international coastal trade routes for lots of yield.

Very interesting civ since it has been a long while since we have a naval power.

17. Duke William of Normandy

They are technically Universities, just renamed. :p

Do you think Civ Fanatics have patience? :lol:

Noble Zarkon and raen like this.
  18. Wielki Hegemon

Wielki Hegemon Emperor

After April patch ;)

19. Duke William of Normandy

Guess we'll have to go with a Music Elimination Thread instead. And I'm not upset at this, it just gives me an excuse to listen to more Civ 6 music. :lol:

20. Depravo

Depravo Siring Bastards

The uncanny valley? They must have got it NEARLY spot on.

Portugal is going to get on ahistorically well with the Dutch...